Record Shop beneath Charing Cross

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Record Shop beneath Charing Cross

Does anyone remember the small record shop in the arches beneath Charing Cross down by Embankment in the 90s. Think the owner was called Pete, might have bern called Wolfman, but could be wrong. Bought loads of white label bootlegs from there when they were at their height. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

Yes

Comment

Thank you for the concise response. What happened to Pete? Any ideas?

Comment

I used to work round the corner so went there all the time. Lots of the early bootleg comps and nice (overpriced) Brazilian & rare groove originals, so far as I remember. No idea what happened to the guy afterwards though...

Comment

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Wolfe_(musician)
          Don't remember the shop, but it wasn't this Pete/Wolfman, was it?
          the monkey speaks his mind

Comment

Originally posted by alanmck View Post
            Yes

What he said.

Very vague recollections of what the stock was like - it wasn't the same chap who used to have that great shop in the Trocadero centre?

Comment

Ah yes, Pete 'Wolf'. No idea how he got his nickname. He was notorious for coughing loudly to disguise the 'tic' sound when the needle on the record he was demonstrating passed over a scratch. Dodgy hustler, but a likable rogue if you will.

I will always remember that the rip in the coat he wore was repaired with sellotape.
              http://www.jazzmanrecords.co.uk

http://www.fatcity.co.uk

Comment

Speedy Pete

Comment

I used to go there a fair bit....always remember that he had an OG copy of the Roy Budd 'Diamonds' OST on his wall for ages....overpriced, I guess. Had some deals out of there, and like Gerald said, a likeable chap.

Comment

I went there a few times, that must have been early 90s. I don't remember it being around for long.

The Trocodero ctr shop was called Jam wasn't it, down in the basement? I would remember his name if I heard it, could have been Ollie? He then had a shop nr Ray's Jaz shop Neal Street way. Last time I saw him he was working in honest jons, not sure when that was, at least 10 years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by proteus View Post
                      The Trocodero ctr shop was called Jam wasn't it, down in the basement? I would remember his name if I heard it, could have been Ollie? He then had a shop nr Ray's Jaz shop Neal Street way. Last time I saw him he was working in honest jons, not sure when that was, at least 10 years ago.
                      Yup, Ollie's "Jam" shop was in ht basement, then on the top floor (or vice versa) on the Trocadero, then on Shorts Gardens. lost touch with him after that.

Comment

Originally posted by alanmck View Post
                        Yup, Ollie's "Jam" shop was in ht basement, then on the top floor (or vice versa) on the Trocadero, then on Shorts Gardens. lost touch with him after that.
                        He used to do a night called Chazz! With Jerry Dammers, unfortunately it was not chazzer-based music (it was playing chess to a soundtrack of jazz and jungle). Lovely guy!
                        MUSHRUMPS Daily party-prog MP3 blog

Comment

Originally posted by Jazzman Gerald View Post
                          He was notorious for coughing loudly to disguise the 'tic' sound when the needle on the record he was demonstrating passed over a scratch.
                          Hats off to him for this tricky move!
                          MUSHRUMPS Daily party-prog MP3 blog

Comment

Originally posted by ashra View Post
                            He used to do a night called Chazz! With Jerry Dammers, unfortunately it was not chazzer-based music (it was playing chess to a soundtrack of jazz and jungle). Lovely guy!
                            went to that a couple of times as well.

Comment

and Pete worked in Ollie's shop (Jam) for a fair bit before he set up on his own.

Comment

Working...
                              X