Diana Ross !!!??? Bill Cosby...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Diana Ross !!!??? Bill Cosby...

I'll say this, although I respect the part that Motown has played in musical history / Legend, and obviously the musicians and artists, I don't find myself buying much of it... even though you come across it in charity shops now and then.

I did make a mental note of one motown record I would pick up if I ever saw it out in the wild... because I saw it priced @ £50 once.

Guess what? found a mint copy of it for pence t'other day, and I have to say I fail to see why the record would be worth anything more than the pennies I spent on it, can anyone explain / help ?

Record in question is Diana Ross' T.V. show which features guests the Jackson 5, Bill Cosby and some white actor guy that I can't remember... I suspected that the highlight may be the version of 'feelin alright' with Ross and Cosby but it's weak...

Infact the whole album is cheesy in the extreme, and I like a good bit of cheese I can tell you. It's aimed squarely at the mainstream TV audience with awkward exchanges of conversation between the guests and Di, our obviously inexperienced and out of depth host.

Who would pay serious money for this record?

While were at it...

What are the unmissable Motown records, and the ones to avoid...?

Any responses much appreciated in advance.
    In ((( VISUAL ))) Stereo

Eclectic Mud

Originally posted by someblokecalledfuz
    Loads of 45s:

Earl Van Dyke - 6X6
    Gladys Knight - Got Myself a Good Man
    Diana Ross & Supremes - Sonny Boy
    Edwin Starr - 25 Miles
    R Dean Taylor - There's a Ghost in My House

and so on..........

as for LPs well I really like Stevie Wonder - Signed Sealed Delivered which pops up in the chazzers on occasion.
    "..hole...road...middle thereof"

Comment

Well, given that Motown stuff sold by the truckload back in the day pretty much worldwide, and Motown LPs & 45s turn up in quantity (at least the common ones do, and the trashed ones...) I'd hazard a guess for no better reason than that I've never heard of seen this one that it's basically one that didn't sell very well, and so is a rarity for Motown collectors. Might well be cheesy, but there are plenty of dedicated collectors of all sorts out there, and not all of them are looking for the same things. I mean, have you seen how much the CD issue of Michael Crawford's Original Cast Recording of the rubbish musical 'Barnum' has gone for on the dreaded 'bay in the past?

It takes all sorts...
      a giant steam-powered turntable in warwickshire plays six foot cement recordings of Prince Albert's speeches to the rejoicing populace

Comment

In todays Guardian.

Forty years ago tomorrow, on March 19 1965, the Tamla-Motown Revue touched down in London, bringing the Supremes, the Miracles, Stevie Wonder, the Temptations and Martha and the Vandellas to British audiences for the first time....

http://www.guardian.co.uk/arts/frida...439806,00.html
        www.thesoundlibrary.net <- Changed URL

Comment

Little Stevie Wonder - Fingertips Pts I & II - also on UK Oriole American 45 too - essential 45 imho.
          Matt Hero

Comment

all the Norman Whitfield-produced cosmic LPs from the late 60's and early 70's- Temptations, Edwin Starr and so on.

all the early Junior Walker, Marvellettes, Vandellas 45s

any UK red and white demos - just send 'em to me!.
            We know when a mate buys it for you too.

Comment

I still love Barret Strong's original.."Money..."

also check "SOul Stomp" by Earl Van Dyke for hammond dancefloor action - which could be blueprint for Wynder K Frog's "Dancing Pain" (or Frog).

As John says, you can't mess with Jr Walker - stuff like Hip City, Shoot Your Shot.

Little Stevie - KIss Me Baby ...is hard fast RnB.

I think Smokey is a bit of top geezer - Miracles stuff is supa sweet...That What Love Is Made Of" / "Going To A Go-Go" - etc.

Also Temptations earlier stuff is just classic soul..."The Way You Do The Things You Do" etc."Why you wanna Make Me Blue" - stuff like this, along with Curtis' Impressions was the touchstone for that sweet rhythm & soul (not Northern) sound.

and of course the sound of The Four Tops - became the blueprint for that 4-4 (Northern) Soul beat a bit later on.

Then there was Isley Bros stuff too....

In hindsight a lot of general motown stuff is quite passe' pop-sounding stuff - but it has more than it's fair share of ground breaking and/ or stand alone classics in it's catalogue.

Although I still didn't see the point of all those re-issues of the more well=known 45s they did last year - when you could pick the originals up for pennies anyway.

Oh yeh, Marvalettes' - Here I Am Baby - is a funk gem /rare groove-classic

Comment

The Twistin' Kings is always worth a punt for Congo Twist.

Oh, and everything on the Rare Earth label. .

Comment

Originally posted by someblokecalledfuz
                  I'll say this, although I respect the part that Motown has played in musical history / Legend, and obviously the musicians and artists, I don't find myself buying much of it... even though you come across it in charity shops now and then.

I did make a mental note of one motown record I would pick up if I ever saw it out in the wild... because I saw it priced @ £50 once.

Guess what? found a mint copy of it for pence t'other day, and I have to say I fail to see why the record would be worth anything more than the pennies I spent on it, can anyone explain / help ?

Record in question is Diana Ross' T.V. show which features guests the Jackson 5, Bill Cosby and some white actor guy that I can't remember... I suspected that the highlight may be the version of 'feelin alright' with Ross and Cosby but it's weak...

Infact the whole album is cheesy in the extreme, and I like a good bit of cheese I can tell you. It's aimed squarely at the mainstream TV audience with awkward exchanges of conversation between the guests and Di, our obviously inexperienced and out of depth host.

Who would pay serious money for this record?

While were at it...

Any responses much appreciated in advance.
                  Can't understand why it would have been £50. If its the one I am thinking of, I see it out and about all the time.

I'll get back to you with recommendations....but here's one to start off with, those MFP motown LPs you see about are almost always worth picking up as they are an excellent source of lesser known goodness (and usually dead cheap).
                  Endless Tripe

Comment

A great Motown 45 to pick up is 'You're The Man' by Marvin Gaye. I think it's promo only. Not on any LP & very funky !!
                    I'll tell you what............. What.
                    What ?

Comment

Originally posted by Si Cheeba
                      In hindsight a lot of general motown stuff is quite passe' pop-sounding stuff - but it has more than it's fair share of ground breaking and/ or stand alone classics in it's catalogue.
                      I really don't agree. All the early stuff is just killer pop music. You could happily buy all of the Motown Chartbuster albums and not find a duff track on the first 18 volumes of them.

The most interesting stuff, however, is generally when they relocated to LA and Gordy was fixated with building La Ross' movie career. Because of this he gave far more freedom to producers to do what they wanted, hence Norman Whitfield's productions which are astonishingly good, especially the Temps stuff from about 1968 onwards (Smiling Faces Sometimes is one of the greatest from that period) and the early Undisputed Truth, up to about 1975 when they went disco in a not very good way, usually.

The first two or three Eddie Kendricks LPs, especially People Hold On, Marvin's albums especially Let's Get It On, Troubleman and What's Going On.

Stevie Wonder never made a bad album until his brain went to mush about 1982 and even then there were still some good moments, although Innervisions would be my pick of the 70s one.

The pick of the bunch:
                      Gordon Staples - Strung Out
                      Jermaine Jackson - Erucu
                      Willie Hutch - brothers' Gonna Work It Out
                      J5 - Hum Along & Dance/ I Am Love/It's Great To Be Here
                      Commodores - Brick House/Machine Gun
                      Puzzle - State Of Mind
                      Michael Jackson - Dapper Dan
                      Supremes - He's My Man/Don't Want To Be Tied (for the gay disco lovers)
                      Yvonne Fair - Funky Music Sho Nuff Turns Me On
                      The Originals - California Sunset
                      Syreeta - Tiki Tiki Donga/Can't Shake Your Love
                      Platinum Hook - Standing On The Verge Of Getting It On
                      Marvin & Tammi - California Soul
                      Marvin - T Plays It Cool
                      Eddie Kendricks - Girl, You Need A Change Of Mind/Goin' Up In Smoke
                      Tate Vega - Get It Up For Love
                      Undisputed Truth - Earthquake Shake/UFO's (sic)

And loads more...

Sorry, I'm policing this thread: no-one says a bad word about Tamla without a fight from me.
                      http://www.djhistory.com

Comment

I found a copy of Kiki Dee's debut album recently which came out on Tamla Motown just at the point they were moving to LA and never got promoted and sank like a stone. It's real hard to find now; especially the UK pressing. Book price is about £50.

Norman Whitfield is such an underated producer. He was so diverse from straight up pop stuff to more experimental stuff to disco, soundtracks and all sorts. As lbg says The Temptations stuff is partictularly good. They version of 'Do Your Thing', the huge long album version of 'Papa Was A Rolling Stone', 'Psychedelic Shack', 'Stop The War Now', 'Ain't No Sunshine'; loads of fantastic tracks. Some of those tracks really remind me of The Neptunes for some reason. I'm also partial to Stargard's 'Which Way Is Up', funky disco with nasty synth and the much sampled 'Car Wash' soundtrack.

Comment

Originally posted by Blighty
                          I found a copy of Kiki Dee's debut album recently which came out on Tamla Motown just at the point they were moving to LA and never got promoted and sank like a stone. It's real hard to find now; especially the UK pressing. Book price is about £50.
                          That's not the one on 'Sounds Superb' (with the Tamla logo also present) is it Blighty ? Those are all Motown produced tracks..... but I presumed that it was some later re-package.
                          Matt Hero

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Hero
                            That's not the one on 'Sounds Superb' (with the Tamla logo also present) is it Blighty ? Those are all Motown produced tracks..... but I presumed that it was some later re-package.
                            Probably. I hadn't paid much attention to Kiki Dee before I found this but I think she only did one album for the label. If only 'Sounds Superb' had done that with 'Reviewing The Situation'. Damn you, 'Sounds Superb'!!

Comment

Had a quick trawl through the collection and here's a totally random alternative / funky Motown 10 or so.

Sisters Love "Try it you'll like it"
                              Magic Disco Machine "Scratchin'"
                              Thelma Houston "Today will soon be yesterday"
                              Edwin Starr "There You Go" (vocal and instrumental)
                              Eddie Kendricks "Eddie's Love"
                              Four Tops "Don't Bring Back Memories" (some say the very first record ever to have been subjected to the two decks, two copies treatment)
                              Supremes "Bad Weather"
                              Supremes "He's My Sunny Boy"
                              Syreeta "What Love Has joined together"
                              Michael Jackson "We're Almost There" (awesome)
                              Junior Walker "What does it take..."

All of these 7"s highly recommended and cheap as....

Edit PS: The Kiki Dee LP is called "Great Expectations" (I think the MFP one has some previously unreleased stuff on it).
                              Last edited by son of stan; 18-03-2005, 09:49 PM.
                              Endless Tripe

Comment

Working...
                              X