Customs Question (I know, I know!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Customs Question (I know, I know!)

Just got a card from Royal Mail stating I owe £27 custom charge.

I believe this is on a record I ordered from the States that was £99.

When the seller states the value of the item on the customs declaration should they put what the seller paid or what they believe the item is worth. For example if you snagged a £100 record on EBay for £10 which of these two values should they declare?

Like most of you, unless the seller has requested insurance, I always put a low value on an item to save the buyer having to cough up customs fees.

Be interested to hear people's thoughts on this. Does £27 customs fee sound excessive on a £100 item?

Thanks!

Originally posted by llmod1 View Post
    Just got a card from Royal Mail stating I owe £27 custom charge.

I believe this is on a record I ordered from the States that was £99.

When the seller states the value of the item on the customs declaration should they put what the seller paid or what they believe the item is worth. For example if you snagged a £100 record on EBay for £10 which of these two values should they declare?

Like most of you, unless the seller has requested insurance, I always put a low value on an item to save the buyer having to cough up customs fees.

Be interested to hear people's thoughts on this. Does £27 customs fee sound excessive on a £100 item?

Thanks!
    Well I guess the VAT is going to be around £19/20 and then there's the Royal Mails £8 'service charge' so, yes, £27 sounds about right. That service charge is what really cheeses people off. If a £100 record sells for £10 I hope the seller would put £10 on the parcel but yours did cost £99 and presumably he wasn't prepared to put a low value on the customs sticker.
    "You don't want to kill the cash donkey"

Comment

Yes, sounds about right, though doesn't make it any easier to take. I always send a message before paying along the lines of "I would really appreciate it if you put a low value on the customs form ($5) otherwise I get not just taxed at 20% but also a steep handling fee and it delays delivery for around 2 weeks. I fully understand if you don't feel comfortable doing that though." I've not yet had someone unwilling to do it.

Comment

You have enough records.
        All the Wolpertingers

Comment

Well it's going to get worse if the cokehead bumps up VAT to 25%, and lets face it there's not many more avenues for him to go down after failing to meet his deficit targets.....again.
          record licker

Comment

Yep sounds right, they seem happy to post a red card through your door for free then charge you 'handling' for something they haven't even tried to deliver! Common moan I know... angry from so and so...
            Mixes, Music: https://www.mixcloud.com/amitron_7/

Music: https://blackmoofou.bandcamp.com/

Videos: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCL1...bw92ZSjvLMZKlQ

Latest Infant Project: https://soundcloud.com/bcmf

Comment

I just got £11 customs on a $28 LP.

Comment

Originally posted by RhubarbRhubarb View Post
                Yes, sounds about right, though doesn't make it any easier to take. I always send a message before paying along the lines of "I would really appreciate it if you put a low value on the customs form ($5) otherwise I get not just taxed at 20% but also a steep handling fee and it delays delivery for around 2 weeks. I fully understand if you don't feel comfortable doing that though." I've not yet had someone unwilling to do it.
                You can also point out that a high value on the form makes it more at risk of theft

Comment

It's always good to have a conversation with the seller to see if they might be able to 'help' you in some way. Most are quite agreeable.
                  However be warned that some get a bit shirty about it as it's technically tax fraud/evasion and could theoretically get you and them into hot water.

Not that I've ever heard of anyone getting caught for it yet, but it's only a matter of time until some poor blighter gets 'done' as an example to others.

Just...you know, be careful.

If buying from the US and other non EU countries look at the importation tax rates first and factor in the extra costs, it may well be cheaper to buy closer to home for the sake of a few quid on those
                  second hand raers.

New releases you'll just have to factor it in and pay the extra. More excuses to try to shake more out of you.
                  Fleas the size of rats suck on a rat the size of a cat....

Not As Great As His Very Best, But Pretty Much As Great As Most Anyone Else's.

Comment

Originally posted by peretti View Post
                    I just got £11 customs on a $28 LP.
                    Yes, the buggers charge £8 handling if it's a £15.01p record or a £2000 record. $28 dollars is about £18 so you'd be over the £15 limit. I usually ask beforehand if they're willing to put $19- for some reason I think that sounds a likely price!
                    "You don't want to kill the cash donkey"

Comment

I always tick 'Gift - No Commercial Value' on the customs form. Fingers crossed I've never had a problem in over 10 years of doing this.
                      "Cover condition:Is perfect except on back cover theres an area of dirty smudge dont know what it is and covers a bit wrinkled which im sure could be flattened out"

http://www.facebook.com/#!/media/set...6018553&type=3

Comment

Working...
                      X