MPB/South American recommendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MPB/South American recommendations

After broadening my horizons in psychedelic rock, progressive rock, folk and jazz fusion, thanks to many members of this board, I have now decided to move further afield and start looking for some more latin sounds, with MPB I've recently checked out Simone and Gal Costa but im looking for more with influences of psych/funk. I have also in my collection a couple of perez prado LP's but that is it. Im looking for the less expensive LP's and 45's if possible.

its getting a bit creepy how much I love this album but there you go.

All the Wolpertingers

Comment

Thanks cacapo, sounds mighty heavy!

Comment

Guitar fuzz bananas is a very good place to start too.

http://www.discogs.com/Various-Brazi...elease/2146042
        All the Wolpertingers

Comment

Os Mutantes
          Satwa
          Aquaturbia
          Lula Cortes Paebiru
          Miguel De deus
          Tim Maia Racional 1 2
          Azimuth
          Perfume azul do sol nascimento
          Traffic Sound

Comment

May have to be reissues

Comment

tarkus maybe?
              Chimptown, now twinned with Cockermouth, Penistone and Big Beaver, Pennsylvania..

Comment

Originally posted by chimptown View Post

tarkus maybe?
                Sounds heavy! nice one

Comment

Originally posted by francozola0 View Post
                  May have to be reissues
                  Cool, thanks franc, whats the record in your avatar?

Comment

This is one of my favourite brazilian records. Good quality and reasonably priced reissue released 2015

Comment

Ruben Lopez furst - jazz en la universidad it's an Argentinian jazz lp whole lp is on YouTube most people feeling the Tenorio lp would probably like it.

Comment

cool thanks everyone

Comment

Originally posted by Cacapo View Post
                          Guitar fuzz bananas is a very good place to start too.

http://www.discogs.com/Various-Brazi...elease/2146042
                          Seconded. Gold stuff.

What about Erlon Chavez and his Veneno band? Some more favourites of mine:

Acosta is an absolute winner for me. A scarce object to unearth!

And I do suggest you keep up with Música de alma blogspot! ¡Qué estupendo es!
                          http://latinfunk.org/blog/?cat=40

Cheers!
                          DANCE TO THE RADIO

Comment

Originally posted by stylesforfree View Post
                            After broadening my horizons in psychedelic rock, progressive rock, folk and jazz fusion, thanks to many members of this board, I have now decided to move further afield and start looking for some more latin sounds, with MPB I've recently checked out Simone and Gal Costa but im looking for more with influences of psych/funk. I have also in my collection a couple of perez prado LP's but that is it. Im looking for the less expensive LP's and 45's if possible.
                            There's quite a rich vein of SA psych. Many already mentioned. I've got a few Perez Prado's, i reckon his best late LP is Mexico 70 which i'd recommend if you dont have it title track and track below are stand outs. Quick few that come to mind...

Comment

Originally posted by stylesforfree View Post
                              Im looking for the less expensive LP's and 45's if possible.
                              Then it´s recent UK reissues or European presses from the 70s.
                              For starters I´d recommend

Antonio Carlos & Jocafi - Mudei de Idea & 1973 s/t lp , both released in Spain and elsewhere.
                              Meirelles - Brazilian Explosion - cheap Spanish issues usually available
                              Euro issues of Jorge Ben up to 1977
                              The Essential Airto on Buddah - incredible North eastern jazz/folk/fusion with Flora, Hermeto, Sivuca & Ron Carter
                              Dorival Caymmi - E Su Violao - Not psych/funk but one of the most profound influences on MPB, and one of the greatest singer/songwriter lps in any genre

You´ll need a copy of Clube da Esquina, too. Everybody does.
                              Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X