One-man bands

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One-man bands

A thread where we present one-man bands and perhaps discuss their technique.

Mexican human orchestra performs Perez Prado classic

Discussion point: What happened to cymbals attached to the knees?
    Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!

impressive! I like the rotating selection of harmonicas

Phil Wickenden:

Comment

The first one that comes to mind is the great Jesse Fuller. He invented his own instrument, the fotdella, to play bass with his foot, made out of piano strings.

From Wikipedia: "He could play several instruments simultaneously, particularly with the use of a head-piece to hold the harmonica, kazoo, and a microphone. In addition, he would generally include at least one tap dance, soft-shoe, or buck and wing in his sets, accompanying himself on the 12-string guitar as he danced. His style was open and engaging, and in typical busker's fashion, he addressed his audiences as "Ladies and Gentlemen," told humorous anecdotes, and cracked jokes between pieces. However, if one listened closely, the stories were anything but cheerful, often including specific recapitulations of his tragic childhood, his mother's illness and early death, his determination to escape the segregated racial system of the South, mentions of suicide and death, and his love of his wife and family."

¡A tope con la vida!

Comment

And he's got little dancing men. Beat that, other one man bands!

Comment

Originally posted by peretti View Post
          Beat that, other one man bands!
          Three One Man Band playing together as a One Man Band Band.

¡A tope con la vida!

Comment

Originally posted by Carlitos View Post
            Three One Man Band playing together as a One Man Band Band.
            I´m not sure about this. One man bands shouldn´t form one man band bands.

My brother once told a banjo player who was standing on his head in a field at Glastonbury that he´d just seen another bloke playing a trumpet standing on his head in another field, and later saw them happily playing together on their heads, but that´s different somehow.
            Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!

Comment

Originally posted by babycart View Post
              In the land of Oz anything can happen...

¡A tope con la vida!

Comment

Originally posted by babycart View Post

My brother once told a banjo player who was standing on his head in a field at Glastonbury that he´d just seen another bloke playing a trumpet standing on his head in another field, and later saw them happily playing together on their heads, but that´s different somehow.
                +

I think these kids should all form a band and put on the show right here in the old upside down barn.

Comment

Head cymbal is a worthy addition to any one man band's Arsenal of FX

Comment

I saw this at the documenta a few years back. the instrument spans across the room and seems to be capable of every sound imaginable as long as its horn based.
                    All the Wolpertingers

Comment

Originally posted by Sonovox View Post
                      Head cymbal is a worthy addition to any one man band's Arsenal of FX

So far this gets my vote, although it was a close run thing with Babycarts entry. I think it was the extra edge of daftness which won me over, that and the in your face go get 'em approach... Bravo! (I hope the spectators gave this guy some money... very little coin dropping action going on...)

It took me a while work out how Babycarts entry could make the "scraping noise" but eventually realised he had it stuck in his belt on the left hand side and was using his drum stick at each end...

I've a soft spot for musical street performers, and especially love those drummers who hammer away at all sorts of percussion thingies usually including a few upturned plastic tubs...

Thanks for all the posts though - very cool.
                      In ((( VISUAL ))) Stereo

Eclectic Mud

Comment

I love Babycart's one when, at the end, he introduces the "band"/instruments one by one doing a solo while still playing percussion. Very talented.

Sonovox's one is brilliant too, funnier than the other one though. I will love to see him live.
                        ¡A tope con la vida!

Comment

To infinity - and beyond!

Comment

LOST SOUNDTRACKS Mixtape

HOLDBAR HIP HOP Podcast

BUSYBODY FILMS

Comment

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kIRWb1QNZBI

Comment

Working...
                              X