Best turntable for under £250

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best turntable for under £250

My Hifi turntable has served me well for 20+ years, but it is heading into retirement soon... I'd be interested in what people on the board reckon is the best for no more than £250. Although if it isn't much more than £250 and can be snagged via ebay with a bit of patience...

Feel free to just name a turntable or if you like expand on why you believe it to be the best, but I'm really just looking for a few pointers...

Thanks in advance good people!
    In ((( VISUAL ))) Stereo

Eclectic Mud

Originally posted by someblokecalledfuz View Post
    My Hifi turntable has served me well for 20+ years, but it is heading into retirement soon... I'd be interested in what people on the board reckon is the best for no more than £250. Although if it isn't much more than £250 and can be snagged via ebay with a bit of patience...

Feel free to just name a turntable or if you like expand on why you believe it to be the best, but I'm really just looking for a few pointers...

Thanks in advance good people!
    I'd go for a well looked after second hand one.
    For a little more than that you'd probably be able to pick up a rega rp3.
    I had a one for a couple of years was really impressed with it.

Comment

The Thorens 160 range are good if you prefer the look of a vintage turntable, but you need a solid platform and really best in a room with a concrete floor
      I'd tend to agree with jay if your looking for something more modern , def buy second hand, get a rega , not a rp1 though as they have a budget tonearm , either a rp3 or go for an older planar model long as it has a rega 250 or 300 arm fitted, the less you pay for the deck the more you can spend on a decent cart/stylus
      Of course all above is irrelevant if you want a direct drive turntable a la sl1200

Comment

I'm about to expose my ignorance in the audio world here...

I'm pretty sure I don't want a direct drive turntable. I'd prefer not to have to fit anything as I'm crap at that sort of thing... when you guys say definately buy second hand is that because of the price, or any other factor?

I've had a Pro-ject up to this point, and really quite happy with it, it's just starting to fall apart now... are Pro-jects any good? Id prefer one where I didn't have to take the platter off the spindle to change speed...

Thanks for the help so far chaps! I shall investigate rega rp3...
        In ((( VISUAL ))) Stereo

Eclectic Mud

Comment

I also have a Thorens and I like it. If you're used to the Pro-Ject it may not be for you as it has a suspended deck. There's a RP3 on ebay now, currently at £148. Rega is a good choice because there are always plenty about and should be in your price range. You can buy a new Pro-ject with your money as well. I guess people are saying buy second hand because you always get things cheaper like that. If I were getting another I'd like one of those big old Denon direct drives that way 1/2 a ton.
          "You don't want to kill the cash donkey"

Comment

Originally posted by Shere Khan View Post
            There's a RP3 on ebay now, currently at £148.
            Do you have a link for this because I can't see it...

If I get a Rega RP3, do I have to get a vibration isolation platform as well?
            In ((( VISUAL ))) Stereo

Eclectic Mud

Comment

Try this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rega-Plana...AAAOSwnipWatA1. The best thing with a deck, I think, is to put it on a shelf attached to an external wall unless, as Reza says, you have a concrete floor.

Comment

There's also this one BIN for £230. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rega-Plana...AAAOSwnipWatA1 I got my Thorens from this bunch years ago so I think they're trustworthy. They're an actual shop http://www.emporiumhifi.com/

Comment

If you're going for an rp3 then I think to play 45s you gotta move the belt or buy an external power supply. I never played 45s on the one I had so not sure how easy it is to move the belt.

As for an isolation platform, I had the rp3 on top of a 2 high expedit. I had no problem ever with skipping or anything like that.

Got myself a linn lp12 put it in the exact same spot and now I have to literally tip toe over one particular floor board as it will skip most times if I walk normal on it.
                  I plan like Shere says on mounting it on the wall but the rega was fine for me...

Comment

I can't edit my post above but I put the same link in twice. This is the link for the £230 BIN

Woul've love an LP12. The Thorens is the cheaper version.

Comment

I can't edit my post above but I put the same link in twice. This is the link for the £230 BIN

Woul've love an LP12. The Thorens is the cheaper version.
                      It's a nice bit of kit. Bought it at a great price off a guy who was selling all his records after converting them to mp3 so he could play them on some bluetooth apple thing. Madness...

Comment

Originally posted by jay View Post
                        It's a nice bit of kit. Bought it at a great price off a guy who was selling all his records after converting them to mp3 so he could play them on some bluetooth apple thing. Madness...
                        You would think someone who owned an LP12 would know better.

Comment

You would think someone who owned an LP12 would know better.
                          Yeah you would mate.

Comment

I went with a Pro-Ject Debut Carbon and apart from the platter/belt thing for speed shifting it is rather nice. The overall build quality is higher than the older ProJect I had - one key thing is the motor is cushioned in sorbothane which absorbs any motor noise, which was always an issue with the old 'elastic band' motor suspension approach. Also a heavier platter with it. The tone arm is made of carbon fibre which is very light but also very rigid - I can't attest to whether this really works any better than traditional tone arm builds, but it is the distinguishing feature for this deck at the price range.

Comment

I recently went with the Rega rp1 with the performance pack, slightly higher than 250. I think it came in around 290. Fitted with a nagaoka mp101 cartridge it sounds great to me. I think you can pick up the rp1 new without the extras for around 230.
                              http://peachfuzzforest.blogspot.com
                              www.the-onyx.co.uk
                              www.kernowbeat.co.uk

Comment

Working...
                              X