books on british psychedelia?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• books on british psychedelia?

carelessly fell back into the rabbit hole of psychedelia but my game is weak.

i would like a book of photos and interviews with kaleidoscope about dive into yesterday and other such things

i think i may want shindig in a book form.. does that exist?

or just whats good...
    Chimptown, now twinned with Cockermouth, Penistone and Big Beaver, Pennsylvania..

yes

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&k...l_5f6bc7osom_b
    "..hole...road...middle thereof"

Comment

Perfect! - i'm on it

and what's the good stuff if i want a history of lsd/communes/happenings/psychedelia in uk - nothing with a mention of Foucault in the introduction, or whole chapter of the history of methodology - something art catalogue, coffee table kind of book?
      Last edited by chimptown; 22-12-2015, 05:06 PM. Reason: forgot to say in uk
      Chimptown, now twinned with Cockermouth, Penistone and Big Beaver, Pennsylvania..

Comment

I think whay you have inadvertently done is highlight a gaping great hole in the market. Yes all those things have been covered, but in one book? I can't think of one. Way back, I remember a book called Tomorrows People, you might like that. Can't remember the author, but I'm sure you could find it easy enough although you might have to stump up for it nowadays. Days In The Life - Voices from the English Underground by Jonathan Green has its moments. Things like the Mick Farren autobiography Give The Anarchist A Cigarette are fun and informative. I like reading autobiographys of people who were making music at the start of it, and the fuller picture develops as a result. The Robert Wyatt one is the most recent I have read and that's pretty good on the early years of British psychedelia. I wish you could get a big book of old International Times papers or something like that.
        Basically I think what you are after doesn't exist in a handy pill sized option, you just have to cast your net and sort through it. That's the fun isn't it? Who knows which other rabbit holes you might end up exploring?
        Keep us informed of your "finds".
        Everyone tear down your own little wall
        That keeps you from being a part of it all
        Because you've got to be one with the one and all
        You've just got to be close to it all

Comment

Hmmm.. I was hoping there may be something like this

http://www.fondazionebonotto.org/flu...6s.html?page=2

but for lsd/communes/happenings/psychedelia in uk

Someone has to make this surely?

Those are awesome suggestions for reading - i shall investigate and report back.

Comment

I've not read this but surely.... http://www.theguardian.com/books/201...roberts-review

Not as big on the music but it sounds great. I heard him lecture but don't remember the details.
            "As technology has advanced, vinyl records are outdated as they are music from the 19th Century so only hipsters and elderly people buy vinyl records".

Mixes for your delectation: http://www.mixcloud.com/danmatic/

Comment

Also not a book, but for a later update I'd really recommend delving deep into Alistair Livingstone's blog, Green Galloway. Alistair is a former punk squatter/occultist who published 'zines in London in the early 80s. He's decanted to Scotland now where he writes about Scottish history and philosophy but has been re-assessing his youth on his blog and pulls out many fascinating links between hippies and punks. As someone who actually *lived it* he can point out all kinds of ways in which his experience differed from the canonical histories.

See here on Andy Roberts book: http://greengalloway.blogspot.co.uk/...-dreaming.html
              "As technology has advanced, vinyl records are outdated as they are music from the 19th Century so only hipsters and elderly people buy vinyl records".

Comment

I haven't seen that book Dan, but just had a quick read of the Green Galloway link. I was a witness of that late 70's early '80s punk/acid crossover or whatever they are calling it now. I can remember the punks coming to Stonehenge in'78 (welcomed with open arms by most- the bikers weren't so impressed). Crass were basically hippies already. The Here & Now /spacey squat bands from London were already well ensconsed. The bleeding together of the two tribes really took place on the open fields and leafy lanes of '80s Britain. I met some of the most honest, decent people I ever knew in such unlikely circumstances......and then the brew crew! Once again, alcohol messed it all up. I'm tempted to pick up the book, thanks for the link.

Comment

Well, "they" are not calling it anything - the point of Alistair's stuff is partly to say, hold on, my memories are different from all the "youth tribe" histories that get written after the event by people who weren't involved. I ran into this stuff a bit later, in the early 90s, driving out of London for raves and meeting travellers at Spiral Tribe parties etc. Seems to me that, from the 70s onward, the free festival circuit was an attempt to have an alternative society, which was one of the reasons our govt were so keen to suppress it. There's some stuff on Alistair's blog somewhere about how in the mind of Thatcher, the travellers and squatters, Greenham Common women and striking miners were all mixed up, which goes some way towards explaining horrendous shit like the Battle of the Beanfield.

There's a piece about the "brew crew" here: http://greengalloway.blogspot.co.uk/...tside-law.html

I think I'm still in mourning for those lost alternative spaces tbh.

Comment

yeah, the way i understand it all this stuff has a much longer and independent history of "60s psych / counter culture etc" - people in 20s going to tibet and nudist / ideological communes right through to rave and squat parties and everything in between.

Comment

I accidently bought a spare copy of Albion Dreaming.
                      Enthusiastic vagueness passes for scholarship in the twilight world of the disc-jockey.

John Peel

Comment

Thanks for the 2nd link Dan. Excellent Dylan quote. Bang on the money. I remember Mark from The Mob. That whole Weird Tales scene was mad as a box of frogs. It was like the Merry Pranksters coming to town when they rolled up.

Comment

The new Rob Chapman book 'psychedelia and other colours'

Comment

Originally posted by enrico chiesa View Post
                            The new Rob Chapman book 'psychedelia and other colours'
                            Maybe try some publications by Patrick "The Lama" Lundborg (R.I.P.)

Certainly knew a LOT about the subject of psychedelica.

Comment

Yeah got his stuff

Comment

Working...
                              X