Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First Sunny Boot Sunday: Was it good for you too?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Sunny Boot Sunday: Was it good for you too?

After thin months; small joys being odd finds like an Al Kooper produced David Essex (with some great beats and harmonica spoilt only by lyrics and singing);
    a Middle of the Road track i liked...and others
    In fact the only real pleasure has been discovering stuff from last years finds that I hadn't trawled through properly.

******But TODAY!!! Welllllll!!!!*****

- A near mint, shiny covered Tony Hatch 'Sounds of the 70's'' found me! In a house clearance box which also yielded two Francis Lai's (Bilitis and Man & his Music) and a Christian Gaubert. My stomach flipped!

- Then on another stall a minty 'Free Ride' - Dizzy / Lalo...which I've had murkily recorded on cassette for about ten years. Finally I can hear Incantation and Wrong Number properly.

- 'Bohannons Best' - I love Stop and Go...hopefully this might have some from similar cloth.

Less illustrious I know ... but still very happy to nab for 50ps....The Young Generation' (1st one I think)....Don Kirshner Cuts Hair.....A Peter Nero best of double , Franck Pourcel' Hi-Fi Sound....a gorgeous blonde covered Klaus Wunderlich....

And not one...but TWO Christmas with the Chipmunks LP's. Volume 1 and 2 no less!! And in good nick. (Don't even ask...I'm not trading these two beauts)

Came home with change from....errr....£12..

It gets better. Just playing 'Sounds of the 70's' and I'm thrilled to hear a brassy 'Am I the Same Girl'....not mentioned on the cover!

Sorry to bore with 'Look what I found'.... but....her indoors just said a sleepy 'that's nice dear' when I got back...and I dig the wild and buzz about the stuff my ears like alone here in MK.

The big question is: did the sunshine bring some proper stuff out for you this weekend?......Go on...Aaron Neville it for everybody.
    <<Soul Strut 100>>Collectable CDs 1 Forumusic: April 2014 Collectable CDs 2<<'95 WOF>>

That sounds like a satisfying haul. My bootie season starts in seven days and counting. Looking forward to looking forward to finding loads of psych/ folk /prog/ soul obscurities and coming home with the usual Geoff Love / James Last bobbins....
    Endless Tripe

Comment

I spent the whole Sunday at work....

in fact I'm still there...

And I'm all done for the day, but since it Sunday and I commute to another city, no bus leaves for another 30 minutes...

but when I get home I'll continue listen to Mort Garsons Hair album that I listened to half of before I went to work

and a sidenote:
      what the hell is up with that "thumbs-up" icon? what enormous horrible mutant thumb is that?
      "Only one thought left, that makes me come alive,
      and that is you and me side by side, on the licorice ride"

Comment

the boot sale was quite large but i bought nothing at all.. the onyl thing i found was a fawlty towers lp and its was scratched to buggery....

but i had a good haul at the record fair at the nec still havent had chance to go thru it all yet.
        instagram.com/vinylhoard

Comment

I'm still at work too. No weekend digs for me....

Dress

Comment

Originally posted by eric-adams
            the boot sale was quite large but i bought nothing at all.. the onyl thing i found was a fawlty towers lp and its was scratched to buggery....

but i had a good haul at the record fair at the nec still havent had chance to go thru it all yet.
            a Fawlty Towers LP??? How cool is that?!?!? Anyone else got one?

...and don't forget to list your NEC score too!
            new SPOKE release: >>> SEE HERE <<< RKM LIBRARY BEATS

Comment

saturday boot finds:
              Geoff love - Big terror themes (spare)
              Pete Moore - Award Winners (spare)
              Bobbi Humphrey - Blacks and blues

Comment

I have a flea market near me that is open year round, so I have been going there every couple of weekends. Usually find a couple of soul LPs for $1 or $2, but on those cold days, I often wonder if it is worth taking off my gloves to finger through some beat up rock LPs......pays off maybe 25% of the time. Looking forward to Spring so more dealers show up.

This weekend my 'secret spot' was having a 1/2 off sale on their overstock since they are moving out of their extra storefront. Bought 19 LPs & 25 45s for approx. 60 bucks. Most of the 45s will end up on the 'bay, but some of the LPs I'm keeping for myself.

Favorites of the Bunch:
                Bobby Womack - Looking For A Love Again LP
                Donato/Depdato LP on Muse
                Ted Heath - The Big Ones (Phase 4) pretty good 'Spinning Wheel' cover
                (I believe I read about him on this site)

& a number of soul LPs (Impressions, Intruders, Edwin Starr).

I am becoming a soul LP collector just by the sheer number that I seem to be finding for cheap. My CD for the swap is inching more towards soul LP cuts now than funk 45s......
                http://three-sixty-five45s.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by son of stan
                  That sounds like a satisfying haul. My bootie season starts in seven days and counting. Looking forward to looking forward to finding loads of psych/ folk /prog/ soul obscurities and coming home with the usual Geoff Love / James Last bobbins....

Bloody hell Stan my Son.....you must dig in the same place that I do!!

(...........'cepting today of course; God I nearly kissed the beardy, baldy house clearance man.... )
                  <<Soul Strut 100>>Collectable CDs 1 Forumusic: April 2014 Collectable CDs 2<<'95 WOF>>

Comment

nec finds

Spotlight On Soul - Old Soul Comp Double lp
                    (bought this for the track i cant stand the rain by Ann Peebles only to find when i got back that i alrady have it... twice, so if any one wants it message me)
                    Savage ost - Don Julian
                    Lamont Dozier - Abc sessions (Dbl) (for the into on shine... i Bloody love that pity the rest of the song is a bit crap)
                    Meters - Trick Bag
                    Eugene Mc Daniels - Outlaw
                    Joe Dukes with The Brother Jacks Mcduff Quartet - The Soulfull Drums of...
                    Galt Macdermots first natural hair band
                    Eruption - Eruption (dont like this so its up for grabs it had a cover of i cant stand the rain on it but its bloody disco grrrrr)
                    Bo Diddley - in the spotlight
                    Wool - Budspawn
                    Pink Floyd - Wish you were here
                    Sound of funk Vol 1
                    Sound of Funk Vol 2 (only need 3 and 4 now)
                    Janis Joplin - In Concert
                    Great Blues Men - Golden Hour Comp
                    Iron Buttefly - in a gadda da vida
                    Iron butterfly - Iron Butterfly

Most i paid was for the sound of funk comps and they were £5.
                    there were a few other things but i hardly ever spend over £8 for an lp because it always seems to turn up in my price range if i just wait awhile.

do any of you have the problem that you are looking for a track for ages then it turns up so you buy it only to discover you actually already have it somewhere on an old purchase?
                    instagram.com/vinylhoard

Comment

first flea after the bleak slow months of winter here too...

A couple of good finds among which:

V.A. : Jazz Hoeilaart '80 - 3 winning bands of this local jazz fest - there's some great late 70's keyboard work happening here

Dave Brubeck : The Greats !!! : Crown

Die Kammer Jazz Gruppe : Bach In Jazz : Omega
                      I'm a sucker for baroque jazz LPs - in fact, I collect them and everytime I find something like this I remind myself to cook up a comp with the best cuts...

Tony Mottola : Mexico : Command

Osibisa : Masters Of Rock : MCA
                      from '71 - great stuff

some more stuff can't remember what exactly but THE BEST was definitely

Brigitte Bardot : Nue Au Soleil / Une Danse Bossa Nova 7" : Barclay
                      Band by Hervé Roy - looked unplayed and cover comes with the little 'tongue' on the side...

Gosh - I love spring !

CORSO: What kind of advice you got for politicians?

BURROUGHS: Say the truth once and for all and shut up forever.

Comment

Originally posted by djr
                        pays off maybe 25% of the time
                        25% ???!!! My strike rate is more like 2% or something, maybe I'm in the wrong town...

After a couple of days snowboarding up north, my poor aching body couldn't make it to the carboot this weekend - last time that happened, a copy of Open Mind's "Magic Potion" turned up.
                        Club stuff: www.facebook.com/DivineGlasgow

Mixes: https://www.mixcloud.com/andrewdivine/

Photos: www.instagram.com/divine_glasgow/

Comment

No boots for a while yet here in Dublin but the record fair at the weekend did serious damage. Can't remember halfe the titles. I was €250 lighter and 45 lps heavier on leaivng

V/A - Make Music (The Stapleton one - replace my CD)
                          V/A - vertigo comp
                          V/A - soem spanish comp of 70's brazilian stuff
                          Stray - comp
                          Last Poets - s/t
                          madeline bell - Comin 'Atcha
                          clarence carter - comp
                          JBs - Doing it to Death
                          Nancy & Lee - Again (been after a nice copy for ages)
                          Rufus - rufusized
                          James Last - Well Kept Secret
                          Melanie - ?
                          Therapy - local folk pop band from 70's
                          Tortoise - s/t
                          rumah sakit - love
                          Mose allison - sings
                          Mose allison - wild man on the loose
                          Fela kuti - live in amsterdam (a re-issue but for €6 I'm happy)
                          baden powell - best of
                          bola sete - ?
                          Joe Cocker- 1st 2 lps on 1 double
                          Julian Cope - World Shut your Mouth
                          Teardrop Explodes - Kilimanjaro
                          John Martyn - ?
                          Curtis Mayfield - ?
                          Titanic - eagles nest

And more

And yes I do have a Fawlty Towers record. Nice cover with Basil kicking Manuel up the arse.
                          Enthusiastic vagueness passes for scholarship in the twilight world of the disc-jockey.

John Peel

Comment

And yes I do have a Fawlty Towers record. Nice cover with Basil kicking Manuel up the arse.
                            ive got a fawlty towers LP but its got a 'family portrait cover' ont front and the back depicts basil tightening his collar... does anybody want it?
                            kraut rock ist nicht tot!
                            http://www.myspace.com/andyvotel
                            http://www.myspace.com/voteldesign

Comment

hmmmm !!!

Comment

Working...
                              X