Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vestax Handytrax stylus help

Help guys!

I have an old vestax Handytrax that i have begun using more and more at home - i bought a new stylus as the old one is years old and was worn to shit. Got an official Vestax one (that was grey plastic, rather than the normal red? is this just a newer version?)

But, it it skipping like crazy with the new needle!! Has the weighting changed with the old needle being on there so long? If so, how to chnage that - seems like a lump of plastic to me. Or is there a 'settlign in' period with the new stylus? Anyone changed it recently or had any probs?
    Muchos mixes <<<<

HELLFIRE VIDEO CLUB

Anyone?
    Could do with replacing my red handytrax stylus too as its been used plenty lately largely because my main turntable needs attention. Would have thought the 'reds ' would still be easily available ?
    record licker

Comment

Hello, I had exactly the same problem when i changed to the Grey stylus. I found it likes 45s more than LPs, very frustrating. G
      Elephant and dwarf they call them, Pepe Kalle and his little
      stage dancing friend Emoro.

Comment

Bah! That's no good!

In that case anyone know a cheap place to get replacement red stylus??
        Muchos mixes <<<<

HELLFIRE VIDEO CLUB

Comment

There's a grey one designed for playing 78s only (product code VR-1SPP) - it has a much larger needle to fit 78 grooves. Could this be that what you have? Would explain why it doesn't track.

The regular 33/45 stylus is product code VR-1SS.

Comment

So there you go!!

Red ones, VR -1SS are readily available (for now) online Juno, BopDJ etc £20 - £30.
            record licker

Comment

Bloody hell! Wonder if it's as simple as that - bought a mislabelled one on eBay? Brought the needle doesn't look crazy big to me?

Thanks!
              Muchos mixes <<<<

HELLFIRE VIDEO CLUB

Comment

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_fr...tylus&_sacat=0
                "I don't want to live in the past but it's a nice place to visit."

Comment

plenty choose from but i suggest you take the one with floyd art as background.

All the Wolpertingers

Comment

I've got the red stylus as well and it often skips on the first track of an album, especially (poss confirmation bias at work here) if heavy bass. bloody annoying. loves 7s but.

Comment

There are two types of stylus which fit this generic cartridge. One has a plastic cantilever and is pretty dire, it has poor tracking compliance. The one with the metal shank is the one to go for. You can find them for well under a tenner. see here> http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AMOS-USB-T...8AAOSw2s1Ux8BE Don`t pay too much attention to the blurb , it will not play 78s!

That linked above is purportedly sapphire , which has a shorter life. A diamond one here if you can wait a couple of weeks>: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1PC-Turnta...IAAOSwYHxWL113
                      "THIS IS A FINE TAPE AND BRINGS BACK MEMORIES OF YESTERYEAR WHEN THE MUSIC WORLD WAS GOOD AND NOT FOULED UP BY THE LONG HAIR SCURVES WHO JUST BEAT WILDLY ON ANYTHING AND COME UP WITH A LOT OF STUPID NOISE THat only damnfools and liars say they like it"

Comment

Unrelated to styluses, but are people aware that you can get D -> AA convertors, so you can use standard AA rechargeable batteries in the HandyTrax?

I'm using ones with a single AA in each and it works fine.

(you can get rechargeable D batteries, but they're a bit inconvenient and expensive)

Comment

Originally posted by eclectiktronik View Post
                          There are two types of stylus which fit this generic cartridge. One has a plastic cantilever and is pretty dire, it has poor tracking compliance. The one with the metal shank is the one to go for. You can find them for well under a tenner. see here> http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AMOS-USB-T...8AAOSw2s1Ux8BE Don`t pay too much attention to the blurb , it will not play 78s!

That linked above is purportedly sapphire , which has a shorter life. A diamond one here if you can wait a couple of weeks>: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1PC-Turnta...IAAOSwYHxWL113
                          Got some of these in the post today (£2!!) and they work perfectly and sound better than the official Vestax one (which was the 45-specific one, as posted above - doh!)

So massive thanks to Eclectikronik for solving my problem! Much obliged.
                          Muchos mixes <<<<

HELLFIRE VIDEO CLUB

Comment

Not at all. Glad you got it sorted!

It's probably stating the obvious, but I should point out that these players are pretty crude, especially the arms with no counterweight or antiskate, and will harm records if used as a main deck. So use sparingly is my advice.
                            "THIS IS A FINE TAPE AND BRINGS BACK MEMORIES OF YESTERYEAR WHEN THE MUSIC WORLD WAS GOOD AND NOT FOULED UP BY THE LONG HAIR SCURVES WHO JUST BEAT WILDLY ON ANYTHING AND COME UP WITH A LOT OF STUPID NOISE THat only damnfools and liars say they like it"

Comment

Yeah, I assumed that - it gets used whilst eating and that's it generally.
                              Muchos mixes <<<<

HELLFIRE VIDEO CLUB

Comment

Working...
                              X