Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A thread for things you like a lot which are inexplicably overlooked...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A thread for things you like a lot which are inexplicably overlooked...

So lately, I've been raving about this album to anyone who will listen:

It's a brilliant, gentle fusion of the classical Brazilian sound with African influences. It makes uses of musicians and instruments from several West African countries and was part recorded in Senegal. Santana was an artist in residence on a UNESCO programme in Dakar and this album is, I think, the end product of that process. It's sung in Portuguese and a couple of African dialects. There's a strong Candomble influence (Brazilian "voodoo" loosely speaking - or more accurately, the Brazilian form of the African diaspora religions, with their origins in Nigeria). I suspect that the whole album is a recapping of candomble cosmology. Anyway, I think it's brilliant, it's been tragically critically overlooked, and I want more people to hear it thus this thread.

Feel free to add on.
    "As technology has advanced, vinyl records are outdated as they are music from the 19th Century so only hipsters and elderly people buy vinyl records".

Mixes for your delectation: http://www.mixcloud.com/danmatic/

Originally posted by Tsundoku View Post
    So lately, I've been raving about this album to anyone who will listen:

It's a brilliant, gentle fusion of the classical Brazilian sound with African influences. It makes uses of musicians and instruments from several West African countries and was part recorded in Senegal. Santana was an artist in residence on a UNESCO programme in Dakar and this album is, I think, the end product of that process. It's sung in Portuguese and a couple of African dialects. There's a strong Candomble influence (Brazilian "voodoo" loosely speaking - or more accurately, the Brazilian form of the African diaspora religions, with their origins in Nigeria). I suspect that the whole album is a recapping of candomble cosmology. Anyway, I think it's brilliant, it's been tragically critically overlooked, and I want more people to hear it thus this thread.

Feel free to add on.
    Indeed you have mate and now I have had a bit of listen I can see why.

I suppose for me is one of those bleedin obvious ones staring you in the face. Available in all those "normal shops", tourist venues and for me on the ferry to France, having a long road trip ahead I stocked up on a load of the Putumayo Presents cds. Probably about 10. All belters. Highlights are American Folk, Women of the world : Accoustic and Yoga Lounge. Loads more. Probably the biggest spins on the cd players in a decade.
    Give a man a tree, He'll take a forest!

Comment

Not heard of them but I'll keep an eye out.

Glad you like the Tigana anyway. It's nice to try (on whatever small scale) to give something a bit of a boost.
      "As technology has advanced, vinyl records are outdated as they are music from the 19th Century so only hipsters and elderly people buy vinyl records".

Comment

years worth of listening

http://www.putumayo.com/shop/

Comment

I think there's some decent stuff on the Putumayo CDs but there's no fucking way I'm sharing my home with those cover designs.
          Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!

Comment

Originally posted by babycart View Post
            I think there's some decent stuff on the Putumayo CDs but there's no fucking way I'm sharing my home with those cover designs.
            Ah I know, it would mess with your colour coordinated lounge right!

Comment

Originally posted by eclipsechaser View Post
              Ah I know, it would mess with your colour coordinated lounge right!
              Get a hair cut and lose the hat, Eclipsechaser.

Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!

Comment

Get a hair cut and lose the hat, Eclipsechaser.
                I think the dreads are attached to the hat. ...We probably shouldn't be giving Phil any bright ideas.
                You freeking scientologists are all the same, quible, dribble and then demand ice creams. Ohhhhhhhhhhh.

Comment

Originally posted by Rich Hero View Post
                  I think the dreads are attached to the hat. ...We probably shouldn't be giving Phil any bright ideas.
                  Ha becoming a faux nouveaux hipster by just donning a hat with stick on dreads! Sign me up.

Comment

Originally posted by Rich Hero View Post
                    when coloured red, green and gold, I believe that item of headgear is referred to as an "Abyssinian Jellyfish"
                    Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!

Comment

when coloured red, green and gold, I believe that item of headgear is referred to as an "Abyssinian Jellyfish"
                      So what's a Babylonian Mushroom then?
                      Enthusiastic vagueness passes for scholarship in the twilight world of the disc-jockey.

John Peel

Comment

Originally posted by eclipsechaser View Post
                        years worth of listening

http://www.putumayo.com/shop/
                        I picked up the French Cafe one of these in a charity shop and really liked it. There was one stand out track, a French chart hit, that I considered putting on my Swap CD. I had no idea it was part of a series. Thanks for the heads-up.
                        <<Soul Strut 100>>Collectable CDs 1 Forumusic: April 2014 Collectable CDs 2<<'95 WOF>>

Comment

This.

Female nick drake sound alike with Lenny Breau on guitar and the mighty Jeremy Steig on Flute

Rarely mentioned , and I think it would be right up many of the board's street
                          sigpicRock on Penderyn

Comment

Originally posted by Tsundoku View Post

I had this playing most of yesterday and really enjoyed it. The similarities to Nick Drake are surprising, but it also fits alongside Joao Gilberto's trance-inducing white album, which I´ve been hammering again recently.
                            Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!

Comment

Cheers! pretty clearly, this is exactly the response I was hoping for. It's worth getting the CD if you like it - the 2-suite structure becomes much clearer and the sound reproduction is top notch, miles better than the Youtube link.

Comment

Working...
                              X