selectadisk "own label"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• selectadisk "own label"

been thinking about selectadisk today. I used to pick up loads there, all cheap as well.
    I remember loads of old soul / funk and psych records there all had "own label" written on the price tag. anyone know what this meant?

I wish id taken more photos while record shopping.

edit
    I asked this very same question in 2012
    http://www.verygoodplus.co.uk/showth...adisc-question
    instagram.com/vinylhoard

Originally posted by Paul-K View Post
    been thinking about selectadisk today. I used to pick up loads there, all cheap as well.
    I remember loads of old soul / funk and psych records there all had "own label" written on the price tag. anyone know what this meant?

I wish id taken more photos while record shopping.

edit
    I asked this very same question in 2012
    http://www.verygoodplus.co.uk/showth...adisc-question
    Over on Soul Source it is belatedly getting 'props' from major Northern Soul names about the part it played in providing 'affordable Northern Soul rarities' in the form of 'reissues' to Northern Soul fans who frequented the Twisted Wheel in Manchester and other venues.*

This is from another website:

"Selectadisc began life as a simple market stall, before moving to a corner the market in Northern Soul rarities. Opening a "soul cellar" below the main shop, the owners traded in US imports and UK repressings, offering unmatchable bargains to Midlands soul fans - including a young Pete Waterman, who travelled up frequently from Coventry. A mail-order business followed, along with a record label (Black Magic), which licensed reissues of Northern Soul floor-fillers. Its biggest release, Papa Oom Mow Mow by the Sharonettes, briefly grazed the top 30 in 1975."

Note: 'UK repressings' and 'offering unmatchable bargains

http://www.selectadisc.co.uk

* I'll return to this thread with an interesting link later today.

I'm interviewing a Twisted Wheel regular next week who used to shop there, so I'll glean more information for you from there.
    <<Soul Strut 100>>Collectable CDs 1 Forumusic: April 2014 Collectable CDs 2<<'95 WOF>>

Comment

There's a bit about the beginnings of Selectadisc and the nascent Northern Soul scene in one of the Rock File books (Rock File 2. Or possibly 3). I think they used to deal with "under the counter" pressings of some of the more sought-after 45s.
      Drastically reduced to 72p

Comment

but this was more recently, and used to be on various legit releases as well as some of the shadier looking titles.

I recall something about them being linked to a distributor, so I guess the "own label" on the tickets was to help staff put the empty sleeves in the right pile for re-ordering?

Not really been in to the Berwick Street branch much since they moved over the road. The mix of second-hand and reissues in the racks now is annoying, and despite regularly looking for quite a few new releases they've never seemed to have any of them these days, so it's usually Norman Records for me (plus they take Paypal so it feels like getting free stuff)

Comment

Ask Rob next time you're up. He started out there.

I realised last year that apart from my family, Rob's is the only handwriting I recognise immediately thanks to all the 45s I've got from there.
          Vardy.....¬°¬°¬°PELIGRO!!!

Comment

Working...
          X