Factmag freakbeat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Factmag freakbeat

Apologies if this been done posted before, nice read though..http://www.factmag.com/2012/03/11/20-best-uk-psych/

Good starting point Styles, some top drawer and very expensive singles there. Everyone will be able to name their own personal glaring omissions, but it is Mr Norris' selection.
    Strange Things was a good magazine at the time. I bought two, double, boxed cassette compilations of excellent psychedelic music through the mag. They still come out to play to this day.
    Good luck with the rich seam you appear to be mining
    Everyone tear down your own little wall
    That keeps you from being a part of it all
    Because you've got to be one with the one and all
    You've just got to be close to it all

Comment

Originally posted by stylesforfree View Post
      Apologies if this been done posted before...
      Well, it IS nearly four years old... But I'd forgotten reading it, and Richard Norris's selections are as brilliant as you'd expect. Can't believe he didn't choose....
      Club stuff: www.facebook.com/DivineGlasgow

Mixes: https://www.mixcloud.com/andrewdivine/

Photos: www.instagram.com/divine_glasgow/

Comment

Originally posted by treeboy View Post
        Good starting point Styles, some top drawer and very expensive singles there. Everyone will be able to name their own personal glaring omissions, but it is Mr Norris' selection.
        Strange Things was a good magazine at the time. I bought two, double, boxed cassette compilations of excellent psychedelic music through the mag. They still come out to play to this day.
        Good luck with the rich seam you appear to be mining
        Oh no no no, im all about the budget dig these days. I look for cheap one siders (is that a current term for a 45 with a fuzzed out monster banger on one side and a cheesy chuff of a tune on the other side?)

Im not even much of a 45 collector, I prefer LP's but 60's psych/garage rock LP's arent in an abundance really. I just found it interesting about the part where he says A&R guys were scared out on missing the next big thing so they all signed bands for one release hoping for a big hit and a new breakout group. Now I understand why some of those 45's are so scarce.

Comment

I remember Mr Norris being on Radio 1 one evening in 1987 discussing psych and playing a lot of these. Probably the first time a most had been played on that station since they were originally released.
          Have a 2 page article on Bam Caruso I pulled out of Music Week around that time too. I met Phill Smee once,a charming fellow. He gave me a copy of Big Fish Popcorn by the Zappa influenced Kings Of Oblivion (actually the guitarist from Level 42!).
          "Cover condition:Is perfect except on back cover theres an area of dirty smudge dont know what it is and covers a bit wrinkled which im sure could be flattened out"

http://www.facebook.com/#!/media/set...6018553&type=3

Comment

Ah yes! Liquidy Headbox, a fine tune.
            Check out Time & Space Machine vol 3 if you haven't already Styles. It's good. It has this on it

Comment

Originally posted by treeboy View Post
              Ah yes! Liquidy Headbox, a fine tune.
              Check out Time & Space Machine vol 3 if you haven't already Styles. It's good. It has this on it
              the cosmic cowboy rides again, off that....he remixed it? who is the track originally by? great music like, nice one.

Comment

Rare Bird top 20?
                Pah!
                AND no Wimple Winch!

And I can't be the only one to find that Bamboo Shoot track a hard listen?
                To infinity - and beyond!

Comment

Too right H. Save My Soul is nigh on genre defining. What is interesting is that Mr Smee put a name to a style which popped up and disappeared in a brief period, and which really has become common and understood parlance....in certain circles anyway! I'll have to re-read the article and see if he's actually talking about Freakbeat or full on psychedelia.
                  Sorry Styles, I have no idea who the original of the Cosmic Cowboy...track is by, but the backwards hi-hat sounds like it's lifted from The Madman Running Through The Fields. Could be wrong, nothing new there.

Comment

Originally posted by jakartajive View Post
                    ....And I can't be the only one to find that Bamboo Shoot track a hard listen?
                    They should've sacked the drummer before starting, one of the most inept performances ever committed to vinyl! ... but I love the sulphurous guitar licks and the lyrics are great. Any band who mention city corporations and bedsitters get my vote !
                    "Cover condition:Is perfect except on back cover theres an area of dirty smudge dont know what it is and covers a bit wrinkled which im sure could be flattened out"

http://www.facebook.com/#!/media/set...6018553&type=3

Comment

Endless highlights on his list. Back in the early 80s Bam Caruso were to be commended for doing things properly. Rival comps like Chocolate Soup were ok 'at the time' .... but the sound quality was dismal. Choc Soup cut off the beginning of Path Through The Forest, whether by accident or intention, who knows.

Having said that - there's a bunch of weak 'soft-sike' on those 20 volumes of Rubble. The 1st two they put out (Psychedelic Snarl and 49 Minute Technicolour Dream) were sensational but a lot of the rest was often fairly feeble.

Talking of Path Through the Forest - it's a true one-off, a timeless piece of uk psychedelia which seems to transend the era. The pulsing, chugging rhythm is quite unlike anything else and the lyrics are quite deep and mysterious. My old boss had an original MGM copy which he sold for £10. That was in the days before price guides though. He said to the chap who bought it - "if you think it's worth more then send it" ... and the chap sent another £10 in the post. Probably early 80s that was. Funnily enough he STILL goes on about selling it cheap so it obviously hurt when he found out it was a biggie later on.

The flip of PTTF was a version of Gone by Paul Revere & the Raiders. This is worth hearing - it's like a proto-glam stomp record, 4 years before the fact.

The original version of PTTF is definitely a must-hear by the way (if u haven't already, probably teaching my granny to suck eggs here but anyway). There's 2 versions on the Clifford T Ward comp on Wooden Hill. I can't get into anything else on the double cd - but his versions of PTTF are home-recorded demos and are equally as mysterious-sounding as The Factory's, in a whimsical folky way.
                      galaxy of fallon to telepath 1

Comment

Thanks Brad, im very ignorant to garage rock/psych. I have very little on vinyl. I own a couple of comps and some shocking blue stuff. Currently looking up the cheapies, mainly LP's but also the 45's. I have all my stepdads old 45's here in a big bag so I might go through them to see if there's anything of note. He probably isnt quite old enough to have been buying mid to late 60's garage stuff though.

Comment

Thanks Brad, im very ignorant to garage rock/psych. I have very little on vinyl. I own a couple of comps and some shocking blue stuff. Currently looking up the cheapies, mainly LP's but also the 45's. I have all my stepdads old 45's here in a big bag so I might go through them to see if there's anything of note. He probably isnt quite old enough to have been buying mid to late 60's garage stuff though.
                          YOU'VE GOT A BIG BAG OF 45s YOU'VE NOT GONE THROUGH YET?????!!!!! Get on the case, fella!
                          Club stuff: www.facebook.com/DivineGlasgow

Mixes: https://www.mixcloud.com/andrewdivine/

Photos: www.instagram.com/divine_glasgow/

Comment

Yeah, a bunch of T-Rex, Sweet, Leo Sayer, sitting here on the floor now going through them, some bands I dont recognise, a lot of early to mid 70's stuff.

Comment

the cosmic cowboy rides again, off that....he remixed it? who is the track originally by? great music like, nice one.
                              It's 'Turn Over' by Les Goths. Incredible Belgian Freakbeat 45. It is a tough one to both find and afford. They did a second 45 which is also good but this is THE one.

**edit** ah hang on - I realise now that this is not the track you are asking about. I'll need to refresh my memory on the cosmic cowboy track....
                              "..hole...road...middle thereof"

Comment

Working...
                              X