No announcement yet.

Factmag freakbeat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That goths track is heavy, thanks man. But yeah the cosmic cowboy track uses a very familiar band and track but i cant remember it.

Comment

Going back to the Chocolate Soup comps, they really deserve some credit, as, in a way, they opened the doors for the "official" comps, which still seem to keep coming, 35 years down the line. I still remember getting the 1st one and the sound in my head of the penny dropping was akin to Big Ben going off! This stuff had laid buried for 10+ years. Not many people were aware of this stuff (even people I knew who were "there at the time"). I think this was the first "proper" collection of underground UK psych. Pebbles 6 although contemporary with Chocolate Soup was more r&b. Interestingly, some of this stuff was being flagged up across the pond a bit earlier. I think it was Bomp! that was the first to sing the praises of "I must be mad" by Craig, among others. A lot of the UK psych got releases in USA, which were the releases they picked up on first.
      Chocolate Soup 2 is still one of my favourite records. Trouble is I'm used to the speeded up versions on the old record.
      Everyone tear down your own little wall
      That keeps you from being a part of it all
      Because you've got to be one with the one and all
      You've just got to be close to it all

Comment

Originally posted by treeboy View Post
        Going back to the Chocolate Soup comps, they really deserve some credit
        Their choices were superb .... and, because that stuff was so fantastically obscure and rare at the time .... it was the only way to hear it (unless you had the original 45s of course).
        It was like being a member of a secret club. So - yes - Chock Soup was good (plus they had thee best name for their series of all time). It didn't really matter that the quality was a bit cruddy.
        But - times move on and things change. What made me laugh was when Past & Present reissued the series as a 5 cd box set a few years ago. They just dubbed it from the LPs so the sound quality (from a 21st century perspective) was atrocious. All the tracks are now available on other series, often legitimately and in better quality. So what is the purpose of this 5 cd set? It was nearly £50 as well. Strange business model. I caught one for £10 at a record fair which I think was a good deal.

But yeah (god I'm a windbag). ..... they were good selections, groundbreaking.
        Pebbles had its own problems with quality, so did Psychedelic Unknowns and all the other early series.
        What was the one with the 'Magic Cube' flexi? Ha ha, that was an odd one.
        Sometimes when I hear these records in TOO good quality, I don't like it - I actually prefer the tinny muffled fizz on some of em. (Seem to be arguing with myself here, oh well).
        galaxy of fallon to telepath 1

Comment

Have to concur on the Chocolate Soups - that sort of stuff was just starting to bubble up at that time. I think the Cherry Red 7" of Children Of The Sun came out about then.
          The distortion and crackles all added to the musical experience, like old blues 78s.
          I believe it was Lee Wood from Raw records that comped them wasn't it ?
          "Cover condition:Is perfect except on back cover theres an area of dirty smudge dont know what it is and covers a bit wrinkled which im sure could be flattened out"

http://www.facebook.com/#!/media/set...6018553&type=3

Comment

I never did know who comped them, and hadn't thought about it until after I posted up earlier. Hats off to Mr Wood in that case.
            The Misunderstood single, alongside the lp, was amazing enough to me then, let alone 15 years earlier! With so much available now, it's strange looking back to those lean, but incredibly exciting early developments in the reissuing of that stuff.
            I think the first two Rubble comps popped up in'84, four years after CS vol1. I wonder if they would have happened without the CS comps putting out the feelers in the first place? Obviously the music deserved being presented in better audio quality, I wonder if that was what drove Mr Smee?

Comment

Originally posted by bradx View Post
              What was the one with the 'Magic Cube' flexi?
              That would've been MAGIC CUBE.
              First time I ever heard this, that was.

To infinity - and beyond!

Comment

^ Quality!!

That Magic Cube was weird. They spent more money on the sleeve and the pop-up cardboard cube that sprang to life when you opened it .... then they did on the record which was just a flexi.

The Misunderstood.... Cherry Red did the world a great service with that comp.
                The Lost Acetates is also worth hearing.

Comment

Have you read the Rick Brown & Mike Stax "Like Misunderstood" book BradX?

Comment

No sir, I haven't. I dimly recollect it exists. I'll see if I can get a copy. I am familiar with the bare bones of their story - which is a very sad saga in many ways.

The other book I really want to get is Teenbeat Mayhem by Mike Markesich. It was v pricey when it came out... and nobody had it in the uk. You had to get it from the US and because it's so heavy it made it prohibitively expensive.
                    Now I see it's down to $40 (from $100) on the Ugly Things site.
                    Think I'll order it *

Does anyone here ever look at G45? That forum is intimidating - it's even worse than this place

Comment

* Don't think I will order it. I just looked at the Ugly Things site.
                      You can get the two volumes of Teenbeat Mayhem by Mike Markesich for $60 - but postage from the US is another $67 (making $127 total). Bollocks to that.

Comment

Got both the Mark Markesich books. Paid full whack for the 1st when it came out....ouch indeed. Waited years for something like that, so when the inevitable happened, I had to get it.( I've always been like that with books though. Some of the arboriculture books I have were in the same ball park.) The thing I like about them is that none of the information in them is second hand, "accepted" info. He researches everything himself, and makes quite long treks to check out facts behind recording details etc.
                        I'm on G45. More on the sidelines I will admit. For US garage, that's the place I tend to go to. I would also flag up the Garage Hangover site by Chris Bishop, a regular on G45. Excellent background info.

Comment

Originally posted by treeboy View Post
                          I'm on G45. More on the sidelines I will admit. For US garage, that's the place I tend to go to. I would also flag up the Garage Hangover site by Chris Bishop, a regular on G45. Excellent background info.
                          I go on these sites to buy records
                          "..hole...road...middle thereof"

Comment

Shhhhhh!

Comment

...I think I mentioned them once but got away with it
                              "..hole...road...middle thereof"

Comment

So what are the best comps to get then? I have Nightmares In Wonderland, The Revenge Of The Quackenbush Brothers and Pictures In The Sky.

Comment

Working...
                                X