45 minutes tops?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 45 minutes tops?

One of the good things about CDs and computers is the ease with which you can have uninterrupted music of your choice.

With that in mind, I arrange tracks that I like into playlists. Each list lasts roughly an hour. Once done I let them lie fallow.

As it happens, I don’t often listen to a full list. I could probably arrange it, but it is not a priority. Around New Year I had some days where I had nothing planned. I settled in for an hour.

After about 40 minutes I had had enough. This happened three times.

Any thoughts, then, about optimum mix length? Or structure (clearly, a related point)? Assume that the aim is to hear the mix in one go.

You'll find most of my mixes around the 50 mins mark. I get bored myself otherwise.
    www.raysmith.bz

www.mixcloud.com/COSMICSLOP/

Comment

Originally posted by Funktionnaire View Post
      One of the good things about CDs and computers is the ease with which you can have uninterrupted music of your choice.

With that in mind, I arrange tracks that I like into playlists. Each list lasts roughly an hour. Once done I let them lie fallow.

As it happens, I don’t often listen to a full list. I could probably arrange it, but it is not a priority. Around New Year I had some days where I had nothing planned. I settled in for an hour.

After about 40 minutes I had had enough. This happened three times.

Any thoughts, then, about optimum mix length? Or structure (clearly, a related point)? Assume that the aim is to hear the mix in one go.

Comment

The old C90 did always seem to be the tape of choice. The talk was that C120s were prone to breaking and had reproduction issues. One side of a C60 always seemed too short to me.
        Last edited by Grim Lounge Cowboy; 24-01-2016, 01:16 PM. Reason: Too short

Comment

Usually a 50-60 minute mix is filling, much like an album. But if done right a 70-80 mix can take you on a journey.

Comment

I think the same can be said for album length. I think the time restriction on a single LP helped create some perfect albums in a way that it limited what could and couldn't just be put on there as filler. Very few double LP's do it for me and are a pain to change. I think with the advent of CD it was a good and bad thing whereas before some things that probably should have been left out are left in which probably ruin certain albums for me.

However on the other side of things it opens up another huge range of possibilities with the extra time to play with if used right. I'm a big believer in putting restrictions in place in music making as in my opinion it makes for good music in some cases, on a creative level. I cant talk though I released a double CD's worth of music of my own and in hindsight I should have edited it down to one CD but I got carried away with the concept and went way over the top, way too self-indulgent.

The subject is mixes though and I don't think this applies to comps as such. My CD player in the car reads MP3's so I just fill em up to the brim and whack em on shuffle sometimes. With mixes I've heard great ones at around 40 minutes to an hour or more and equally good ones spread over 2 cd's in some cases.

In my own Swap mix this year I'd have probably shaved off about 5 minutes but I got so carried away layering some free jazz over a piece of library music I bought I ended up just under the 80 minute mark which then caused me indexing problems but I think the mix worked well enough in fact probably the only one I've done where I've played it multiple times since finishing it so more of a post production issue than a flow thing I'd say.

Guess what I'm trying to say is anything between roughly 40-80 minutes can work well.
            Last edited by amidar; 24-01-2016, 01:44 PM. Reason: grammar
            Mixes, Music: https://www.mixcloud.com/amitron_7/

Music: https://blackmoofou.bandcamp.com/

Videos: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCL1...bw92ZSjvLMZKlQ

Latest Infant Project: https://soundcloud.com/bcmf

Comment

Another coincidence. I was just reading something about giving a presentation. It dwelt on the subject of attention span. Apparently most people will lose focus at about 7-10 minutes and will need a prompt. They'll need a more serious break after about 45 minutes.

The 7-10 minute bit of that might correspond to the function performed by the length of a track in a mix. A change of track brings a change of focus.

Does anyone have any conscious strategies when it comes to structure? Or do you all rely on instinct?

Comment

I like short mixes, 40 mins or so. Even less if it´s a collection of 3 minute bangers.

I also like gigs that come in under an hour, films that do their stuff in less than 100 minutes, TV series that finish after 4 episodes and books I can fit in my jacket pocket.
                Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!

Comment

I'm in agreement with the films under 100 minutes thing with the odd exception I guess as there always is. I like this new Netflix, HBO (do they call them serials? I relalise its a relatively new phenomenon in the US a mini serial being 3-4 episodes usually 3) of 12 hour long episodes I think that's plenty of time to tell a good story with a beginning, middle and end and leave plenty of room for character development, history instead of padding out 23+ episodes of filler, unless its a procedural but most of them are money making exercises essentially once they get off the ground. I'm thinking 'Diagnoses Murder' here.

Comment

Let’s assume that 45 minutes is a good attention-span based rule-of-thumb. A good number of my playlists tend to wind down in their last third. This might not be such a good idea, as the listener won’t get the benefit of the good stuff towards the end. A different story, of course, if part of the plan is to move the listener towards deep rest.

I’ve just been reading text on the merits of ‘front-loading’ documents with the key information. Leave the less important stuff for nearer the back.

Comment

Interestingly, there seems to be a tendency to approach mixes and playlists more like traditional storytelling or communication with beginning, development, climacs, like in a film, novel or even a speech, rather than an unorthodox, freeflowing, surprising, exciting form. I suppose it's because as we get older we get more precise and conservative in our perception of everything incl. artistic things, and maybe more impatient because of the accessibilty of things online.

Comment

Originally posted by Headless mermaid View Post
                        Interestingly, there seems to be a tendency to approach mixes and playlists more like traditional storytelling or communication with beginning, development, climacs, like in a film, novel or even a speech, rather than an unorthodox, freeflowing, surprising, exciting form. I suppose it's because as we get older we get more precise and conservative in our perception of everything incl. artistic things, and maybe more impatient because of the accessibilty of things online.
                        I don't think the idea of a story maps quite as directly onto doing a mix. Music is more abstract than film or novels. The story idea can mean subtle changes of tone or more radical changes of gear and trajectory can go a variety of ways, sometimes circular, sometimes unidirectional.
                        Enthusiastic vagueness passes for scholarship in the twilight world of the disc-jockey.

John Peel

Comment

For me, the idea of a direct ‘story to music correspondence’ seems ill-founded. I touched on that a bit in my comments on Birtwistle a while back. But it is easy enough to see why people think along those lines – it is precisely because music is abstract. A story will only ever be a rough yardstick, but at least it has the merit of maintaining ties with some sort of emotional response.

I’d rather hear that than some of I have recently been hearing. As you may have gathered, I have recently started listening to a bit of ‘modern classical’. Sometimes the sleeve notes for ‘Opus Z’ tell me that the music acts out a particular notion that is grounded in ‘games theory’ (or whatever). And it sounds like it; real ‘uni students seminar-exercise’ music.

I don’t know anything about music theory (and in fact, I am only guessing that that is the right term). So, I don’t know to what extent one can easily apply ‘music composition’ thinking to ‘mix compilation’. My guess is that there are valid comparisons. There is a sense in which the activity is the same. The former is closer to being a language, whereas the latter is using found ‘sound objects’ that manifest that language.

I would be happy to say what I do when I use ‘sound objects’ in that way. As a dabbler, my bag of tricks is very limited. I was hoping that people who are rather more serious about it would be prepared to share some hints.

Comment

Originally posted by Funktionnaire View Post
                            I don’t know anything about music theory (and in fact, I am only guessing that that is the right term). So, I don’t know to what extent one can easily apply ‘music composition’ thinking to ‘mix compilation’. My guess is that there are valid comparisons. There is a sense in which the activity is the same. The former is closer to being a language, whereas the latter is using found ‘sound objects’ that manifest that language.
                            If you're talking about the assembly, you could compare it with making a piece of art, in which case a mix is a collage. Would you rather look at a collage that forms one large coherent work, or one that's composed of many interesting parts? Or indeed, both?
                            You freeking scientologists are all the same, quible, dribble and then demand ice creams. Ohhhhhhhhhhh.

Comment

Very interesting point mate that's how I always approach the few I've done in an abstract way and often use the term 'sound collage' in my head. It depends how you do it if your'e just comping a load of songs together can you tell a story? I'd say yep you probably can and quite possibly in an abstract way if that's of your choosing.

The story might not be same story that everyone gets from it but it may well be there or it might spark a completely different story in another listeners head as lyrical content musical prompts, instrumentation and the listeners processing of it always does. There's not even a need to tell the story in a linear way you can approach it anyway way you want but yep I think it can be done even instrumentally but then maybe my head is wired a bit different in how I consume such things.

The collage technique I use can usually be a random, abstract thing but I think having a theme and setting parameters within in which to work is good for your Art. I chose a theme I set myself some parameters in which to accomplish that with my Swap Mix, had ideas of a beginning and an end and it came together as it got worked on and to me it achieves the themes it set out to address and having listened to it tells a story which is personal to me but others may derive a different story from it which is the whole point of it really. I cant say I planned it all out on a piece of paper there are always what I like to call 'Happy Accidents' involved in this kind of process but I think with modern technology there is now many ways to put together others music in such a way that it tells a story without having to have narration in between each track to give it linear flow.

In a live context this is much different as you have an audience in entertain there and then, with dance music set at specific bpm's and with specifically designed lead ins/outs this makes the process easier. Its not easy either way but I have much more admiration for people who take music that is discussed on this board and play it out in a live context and give it some kind of flow as it wasn't designed with the DJ in mind as such in most cases. When I hear a pro who has released a mix on CD of say jazz in a mixed context I listen out to how its segued the DJ's understanding of key his ear in essence and their sense of timing.

Just my musings, I guess people process things in different ways but I guess in answer to the question you posed I'd probably say both as they are equally as worthy in my mind.

Originally posted by Rich Hero View Post
                              If you're talking about the assembly, you could compare it with making a piece of art, in which case a mix is a collage. Would you rather look at a collage that forms one large coherent work, or one that's composed of many interesting parts? Or indeed, both?

Comment

Working...
                              X