Broken Record Advice Required

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Broken Record Advice Required

Apologies for the full thread but interested in people's opinions on the following.

Buyer in Belgium buys record off me on Discogs for £30. Pays plus postage.

Send record in cardboard envelope with two stiffeners. Not everyone's favourite method I know but one I've never had a problem with.

Record arrives at destination but buyer is out so idiot postman decides to bend the package in half to fit in the letterbox and of course snaps LP.

Buyer contacts Belgian Post who admit that the service provided was poor but don't offer any compensation. They give a reference number for me to give to Riyal Mail so that they can contact Belgian Post to discuss issue.

Buyer peeved that I didn't send in record box which they are used to.

I really don't think I'm to blame here given that the parcel with inserts is pretty solid and that anyone with half a brain would realise that as they attempted to fold it!

On the other hand part of me feels just refund the buyer to avoid any hassle. I'm pretty sure that if they left me negative on Discogs I could get it removed as the post are at fault. However PayPal will no doubt refund her whatever the situation.

What do people think?

Did you put a "Fragile, do not bend" sticker on it Mark?
    some times play g+ with back noise,some times vg , super psyché juju lpfront sleeve is very nice vg back vg , but the top corne left is eating buy rats, ask for picture

Comment

I had a couple of blinding 45s sent from Australia. Shattered by the time they reached me. Substantial packaging. I just went halves with the seller. It wasn't their fault. It has happened to me twice, so that's pretty low odds.
      Where do you get the Flemmish "fragile etc. " stickers from Medlar?
      Everyone tear down your own little wall
      That keeps you from being a part of it all
      Because you've got to be one with the one and all
      You've just got to be close to it all

Comment

Not really an adequate response from the Belgian postal authorities. The customer should persist and make a claim with sellers invoice and photo against Belgian post. Seller did everything right, Royal Mail did everything right. The Belgian postie wilfully screwed it up.

Comment

I had this once , royal mail are the original carrier so you have to make your claim with them even though its not their fault, the responsibility is theirs, they'll contact the belgian postal service, and yes, you'll have to refund the buyer, make sure you get detailed photos of the package itself and of the broken record from your buyer first, with high value insured claims they sometimes ask for the actual package but if its under 50 quid I think pics will suffice, if royal mail dont think you packed it well enough you may not get compensated but by the sound of it. stiffeners etc you should be fine

Comment

Thanks everyone for your responses.

I didn't have fragile stickers on there which may have been a mistake on my part.

Seller has already sent me pictures of the item so it's definitely not a scam. The item wasn't insured at all so not sure if any money is going to be returned.

Comment

Save on stickers by getting one of these.

Make sure you give it a good thump so the ink shows up, though.

Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!

Comment

Originally posted by llmod1 View Post
                Thanks everyone for your responses.

I didn't have fragile stickers on there which may have been a mistake on my part.

Seller has already sent me pictures of the item so it's definitely not a scam. The item wasn't insured at all so not sure if any money is going to be returned.
                automatically insured if posted w/royal mail up to 20 or 50 if sent signed for, just need the p/o receipt

Comment

I can only imagine that the Belgian postal service entry reads similar to Royal Mail's

http://www.royalmail.com/personal/he...icy-for-damage
                  some times play g+ with back noise,some times vg , super psyché juju lpfront sleeve is very nice vg back vg , but the top corne left is eating buy rats, ask for picture

Comment

You kinda answered your own question...You should have used a proper US style mailer, the postie would have been a lot less tempted to fold the package.
                    "Hangin' out with you two is like partying with Fugazi"

Comment

I suspect in the event of a claim, Royal Mail will blame the Belgians and the Belgians will blame the Royal Mail. That's just the natural pessimist in me. Personally I use FRAGILE tape - costs about a quid a roll, but I think it's worth having red and white FRAGILE splashed all over packages.

And in the event of a refund, if I was the customer I wouldn't be going halfers with the seller - it's the sellers responsibility it gets from door to door in one piece. Full refund, I'm afraid - just one of those costs you have to suck up if you're doing business - sometimes those lucky quid charity shop finds help to level out the playing field.

Sounds like a right pain, thankfully it's a rare occurence...
                      Club stuff: www.facebook.com/DivineGlasgow

Mixes: https://www.mixcloud.com/andrewdivine/

Photos: www.instagram.com/divine_glasgow/

Comment

i stopped using fragile tape as I heard that postmen take see that as a challenge.

I once had a record handed to me by the post man that was completely folded in half.
                        instagram.com/vinylhoard

Comment

Yep having watched a few documentaries seeing warehouse workers kicking boxes around the cynic in me makes me think writing 'Fragile' or giving an instruction such as 'Please do not Bend' is like a red rag to bull. I still do it though... I'm assured by different posties over the years that this doesn't happen within the Royal Mail but have been told in the past about when they've brought in temps who take the mickey a bit.

What can you do its a bit of hit and hope!
                          Mixes, Music: https://www.mixcloud.com/amitron_7/

Music: https://blackmoofou.bandcamp.com/

Videos: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCL1...bw92ZSjvLMZKlQ

Latest Infant Project: https://soundcloud.com/bcmf

Comment

This happened to me once - a copy of the French edition of The Outcasts Self Conscious Over You LP bent in two and stuffed in my letterbox. I got nothing in the way of compensation.

So I sympathise and its seems incredible that someone would bend a package like that, but I have to say I HATE those flat cardboard envelope mailers that only Brits seem to use. I presume they're widely available in the UK. They are useless at protecting LPs. You have to use a box.

Claims for compensation must always be filed by the sender of the package. As any number of carriers can handle a package before it reaches it's destination, responsibility for delivery lies with the initial carrier, in this case Royal Mail, irrespective of who actually delivered it. This is EU law, as I understand it.
                            Dave Lee Roth, I Too Am Running With This Devil Of Which You Speak (sic)

Comment

what are these box mailers people are talking about?
                              I only know about envelope mailers, ive used them for years and nothing has ever been broken. well no one has ever got back to me saying it had anyway
                              instagram.com/vinylhoard

Comment

Working...
                              X