Lush exotic spy jazz

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lush exotic spy jazz

Need some recommendations on good exotic jazz a la KPM ‘brazillian suite’, ‘sounds in percussion’, etc. I’m looking for consistent sets like the ones above rather than one trackers. Something I can upvive the bbq/cocktail parties with without having to worry bout a duff tune sending the ladies home…

Cheers!

Hello Jakob,

Does it have to be Library or are just good old records OK ?
    Cause there's a bunch of them on the Exotica side you can get on EBAY for cheap. Like ANY Martin Denny with the word EXOTICA in the title or "Forbidden Island", "Primativa"

His 1st 3 releases were all called EXOTICA, Vol 2 and Vol 3
    I could talk to you a bunch about Exotica stuff

Martin Denny is the guy who pretty much created Exotica in the states and put the word and sound on the global map

He took Les Baxters QUIET VILLAGE and made it into a zillion seller and spawned TIKI PARTIES across the US in the late 1950's-the early mid 1960's with TORCHES all around the party area, wild print Hawaiian shirts etc etc etc
    HE'S THE MAN !

Frank Hunters WHITE GODDESS is a masterpiece of sensual wild sounds. Les Baxters JUNGLE JAZZ is a masterpiece

Kip Andersons SHANGO ! on KAPP is great
    I could talk about this to you for hours :-)

Strictly LP's or are CD's OK as well ?

Jack

Comment

Hey jack, very good tips you give there… you seem to know your x-tics. I couldn’t agree more on jungle jazz. But the sound I’m after is not really the exotica of m.denny and the likes but the type with a bit of that soundtrack flavor in it… hence my comparisons with the KPM’s. More like Denny or Baxter mixed with some quincy jones ‘mr tibbs’ period. Am I making some sense? A bit moodier, dramatic… I have a lot of this stuff on libraries but like said before it’s mostly a one or 2 tracker thing. I was wondering if there were any other more consistent sets… The Italians were good at this too… guliano sorgini comes to mind… yet maybe a bit more on the cheese…

Comment

All those latin/lounge kpms are mega $$$ now.

I like

Summer Songbirds
        Bugaloo in Brazil
        Brazilian Suite
        Voices in Harmony
        Chorus and Orchestra
        Big Beat

I would play off comps mate. Who's gonna care?

Pop Boutique, Vroom funk cinematique, La Guepe, Up! The psycho mellow, Up! The Second, Shake Sauvage.

Check <a href="http://www.scorebaby.com" target='_blank'>www.scorebaby.com</a>
        www.thesoundlibrary.net <- Changed URL

Comment

How about Jungle Obsession? That&#39;s Tiki all the way thru
          http://wakeupanddie.com
          http://weirdgearnyc.com
          http://makethingsmatter.com

Comment

Exactly; JUNGLE OBSESSION from Pulp Flavor or maybe also
            NATURE NOCTURNE on Eddie Warners IM Label and what about Stringtronics ?

Jack

Comment

aah YESSSSS jungle obsession the don dada....

thanks for the info vultures much apreciated&#33;

Comment

TROPICAL FANTASY by Michel Magne (belair)
                the best Exotica lp ever made i reckon...

other faves:

Dream Sequence - cosmic eye (regal zonophone)
                AFRICA - M.Zalla (liuto)
                Brazilian Octopus (fermata)
                The Cabildo&#39;s three - yuxtaposicion (thuban six)
                kapu - Milt Raskin (crown)
                Le Allucinazioni - lsd disco (CDI)
                http://www.iueke.com/

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                  Quote[/b] (iueke @ 10 June 2003,16:39)]TROPICAL FANTASY by Michel Magne (belair)
                  the  best Exotica lp ever made i reckon...

other faves:

Dream Sequence - cosmic eye (regal zonophone)
                  AFRICA - M.Zalla (liuto)
                  Brazilian Octopus (fermata)
                  The Cabildo&#39;s three - yuxtaposicion (thuban six)
                  kapu - Milt Raskin (crown)
                  Le Allucinazioni - lsd disco (CDI)
                  iowza gwen i hear you on brazillian octopus and cabildos but those other ditties you mention woops on that uber elusive tip i reckon? never seen or heard about that magne lp... shed some more light... on belair hey?

Comment

Jakob, Jack&#39;s site (www.jackdiamond.com) was selling a reissue of the Magne recently &amp; had some soundclips up...amazing mix of exotica/musique concrete. If the clips are still up, check it out...
                    a giant steam-powered turntable in warwickshire plays six foot cement recordings of Prince Albert's speeches to the rejoicing populace

Comment

Wayne

Thanks for the plug

Jack

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                        Quote[/b] (JAKOB ILLA @ 10 June 2003,18:14)]i hear you on brazillian octopus and cabildos but those other ditties you mention woops on that uber elusive tip i reckon? shed some more light...
                        will do J. put some audio up for you, but i gota cook some dinner right now - so later..

glad to see that jack&#39;s up on the Magne lp - sublime stuff&#33;

others to lookout for by him:
                        musique Tachiste (paris)
                        Solal joue Magne (ducretet thomson)
                        Le monocle rit jaune OST (ducretet thomson)
                        Surprise partie chez Françoise Sagan (fontana)
                        + many other i can&#39;t think of right now - too much Macon...

Comment

I just sold the original French pressing with the 2 extra tracks
                          BUT someone told me there are 2 diffeent pressing&#39;s of the French LP. This copy was on Barclay

1 with THE MAN&#39;S PICTURE on the back and 1 without his picture, which is thew 1 I sold, which I got from the famed Victor Kiswel :-)

The US Reissue is from none other than SCORPIO RECORDS which I got them to do after a year or so of screaming at them

Another killer Exotica LP that I have that I got Scorpio to reissue is Rex Kona and His Mandarins: &quot;WILD ORCHID&quot;.

Very nice cheesecake cover to boot, as well as the
                          Nutty Squirrels go &quot;Bird Watching&quot; LP on Columbia

I am trying to get them to do The Twilight Zone by Marty Manning, which is another great great Exotica LP, but way more outer space with the use of Electronics, Martenot and Ondioline and Sound FX and nutzoid percussion. It is brilliant and rare.

My next goal is to get them to do BUG-IN &#33; on CAPITOL
                          Are you guys hip to that ultimate funk LP ?
                          IS IT THE DOPE SH*T like you could never imagine with the sounds of Dune Buggies terain&#39; up the sand dunes, from I think 1974. Get it and get it now :-)

Jack

Comment

hey jack -
                            grrreat site... sublime records... and the best footnotes i read in awhile&#33; keep up...

Comment

the original is BELAIR (361015) stereo - with photo on back.. this is extreamly rare..

Comment

Working...
                              X