Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just what the forum needed....more record related dilemmas and anguish (slight exaggeration)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just what the forum needed....more record related dilemmas and anguish (slight exaggeration)

I guess this could be posted in the file or purge thread or the 'trap' thread but please tell me I'm not alone when it comes to owning too many of these 'types' of records?

20+ years of markets, carboots, record shops and this is the type of stuff you can end up getting without ever having listened to a lot of them. Of course I would have rather discovered psych LP's, good libraries or 'exotic' foreign stuff but this is the 'Mojo' stuff that I generally found and picked up, especially in the 90's. I have done these purges multiple times over recent years but my cabinets seem to have a never ending supply. Anyone else have this problem, not with records in general, just this area of music that I hate to call crusty but kinda is (with the odd exception cos I do like a few of those pictured)?

This batch is my latest pile of Mojo approved records to leave the house, probably to a local record shop for a small amount of trade value. Varying degrees of condition from rough to Ex. I would keep the Indian Summer but its knackered, same applies to the Tim Hardin. A couple of these are spares ie Steve Miller, Atomic Rooster, Lindisfarne. I'm undecided on the first If LP as I like it. Sleeve isn't pretty and vinyl has scuffs so varying degrees of crackle (probably Ex grade for a lot of UK dealers then...) and these days I want everything to be Ex.

So, in regards to my current record buying and where my head is at with it I'm fairly content (buying on average one record a week in the real world, none online). Long gone are the days of bringing in 10+ records in one buying trip and then just filing them after a needle drop. Unfortunately I still have the nagging feeling I have too many crusty records and not enough unusual stuff, whatever that is.
    "Don't get involved in the f**kin' chat pages. It's just full of arseholes talkin' sh*te non-stop"

I haven't got any of them.... Apart from the Focus LP
    instagram.com/vinylhoard

Comment

There's a couple there that are a cut-above imo. Gram Parsons - Grevious Angel is one I regularly play. I love the title track, it's part of me.
      Journey From Eden - the final track on the Steve Miller Band is another mighty ahead-of-its-time beauty. He invented ambient rock on his early albums. I wouldn't even dream of selling that one.
      I like some of Joni's albums - and I do play Don Juan's now and again.... but not too often. I like Jaco Pastorius's bass-playing. Like a DC-10 coming in to land.

The rest are a bit meh I agree
      galaxy of fallon to telepath 1

Comment

If I was going to cruise the crust from that pile, Tres Hombres would be the first one out of the gate. Solid!

Comment

Less is more. Weigh 'em in and spend the cash on a decent LP you want. But you know that.
          record licker

Comment

Dave mason, Jimmy Buffet and Jim Croce are staring at me from the recent in pile. Records where ten cents each but thats not a good excuse.

Also indian summer is worth cash money right?
            All the Wolpertingers

Comment

I think I know what you're talking about. You're picking through the usual - Harry Secombe, Mantovani, No Parlez, Sound of Music, No Parlez again and then you flick past one of the records above. It seems out of place, like it doesn't belong. It's crying out for rescue. It's digger's fools gold. That Lindisfarne LP is the perfect example. You could have just posted a big picture of that and we'd all have known what you meant.

It's records that you're sure you'll come round to at some point, if not actually liking them then at least listening to them. And surely some of them are sitting just waiting for reappraisal and rediscovery.

That's what I keep telling myself about my eighties library LPs. Years go by and it doesn't happen.

Comment

Of course you are not alone Nige. What I would say is that we are all pretty sniffy on here to a certain extent. I've still got old records I don't play very often that would fall into that "Mojo" category. Most people I know in the "real" world like that stuff, and are comfortable with it. It's nice when friends come around, to be able to play some music which doesn't alienate them. It's good to let other people chose what to listen to. And invariably, they'll pull something familiar. People know what I like, but not many of them want/need to listen to it. And they know that if they give me an obscure (to them) record to stick on, I'll bore the pants off them, because I'm a sad, record-nerdy old git, who should have got rid of all this clutter years ago.
                Everyone tear down your own little wall
                That keeps you from being a part of it all
                Because you've got to be one with the one and all
                You've just got to be close to it all

Comment

Yep Skip, agree with that comment.

I did intend giving the Gram Parsons a listen so will do that. I'll also give the ZZ Top a listen.

The Indian Summer is worth money and I would keep it as I listen to a lot of early prog these days but its really rough (was given it for free) so nothing to lose.

I took the batch to the market and tried to trade them for a Easybeats - Vigil (UK OG) priced at £50 but the dealer didn't go for it.

Thanks for the responses guys...interesting to read other people's opinions.
                  "Don't get involved in the f**kin' chat pages. It's just full of arseholes talkin' sh*te non-stop"

Comment

I think along those lines Paul but as Craig is the only person who comes to mine to listen to records you can imagine he's the last person who wants to listen to a James Taylor LP. Only the psych and prog rares will suffice...haha.

Comment

I've got the vehicle, atomic rooster and focus LP's too, but I notice you don't have the first James Gang LP – Yer' Album, I think its their best one.

Comment

Originally posted by Campag Record View Post
                        I think along those lines Paul but as Craig is the only person who comes to mine to listen to records you can imagine he's the last person who wants to listen to a James Taylor LP. Only the psych and prog rares will suffice...haha.

Hey, don't blame mate, especially seen as I'll be pricing them all up later in the week, hope there's nothing in there M***k will like, other wise he'll be playing it in the shop all day long!
                        "Hangin' out with you two is like partying with Fugazi"

Comment

You and your high maintenance pals Nige! Take no notice of me, I'm grumpy because I've got a cold

Comment

Originally posted by stylesforfree View Post
                            I've got the vehicle, atomic rooster and focus LP's too, but I notice you don't have the first James Gang LP – Yer' Album, I think its their best one.
                            He's probably got it Styles, but he's not outing it.

Comment

I took the batch to the market and tried to trade them for a Easybeats - Vigil (UK OG) priced at £50 but the dealer didn't go for it.
                              to be fair to the dealer i don't think it was ever going to happen, mate. you had 40 records that he didn't want.

i was in a shop on saturday and a guy walked in with about 10 albums. coldplay "X&Y", a david rodigan comp and quite a few soul jazz double album comps. he got £5 for the lot. i was flicking through them a few minutes later and each one had a £10 sticker on it. i ummed and aaahed and whilst doing so a few arms flew past me and all those records found new homes.
                              "I don't want to live in the past but it's a nice place to visit."

Comment

Working...
                              X