Toshi Ichiyanagi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Toshi Ichiyanagi

Anyone know about this geezer? Weird Japanese thingy, is this a rekkid Votel mentioned ages ago, what's it like?

Toshi Ichiyanagi info

I know a bit and have some leads but lets not openly discuss
    pm me

Comment

woah........sshhh careful guys............

Comment

i've got a kettle lead here if that's any good......?

Comment

just found a dog lead.........

Comment

Originally posted by fingersports
            Anyone know about this geezer? Weird Japanese thingy, is this a rekkid Votel mentioned ages ago, what's it like?

back in 1969 avant-garde composer Toshi Ichiyanagi hooked up with Uchida Yuya’s damaged psych rock group Flowers and illustrator Tadanori Yokoo to realise a double-LP set that would combine Fluxus-damaged pop art moves with abstract acid rock, avant electronic drone, frail almost-songs, rehearsal sketches, big band marches bisected by iron-blue drones, wildly evocative field recordings and intimations of limitless, hallucinatory space, all in the service of a supremely personal rock opera/audio diary/statement of the world as he saw it. Originally released as a 2 LP picture disc set on the private press End Records, this has long been one of the heaviest rarities to come out of the Japanese underground and Bridge’s limited to 1000 copies 4 CD reissue does it proud.

The whole set is housed in a beautifully designed large LP-sized box adorned with Tadanori’s full-colour artwork. Inside, the set opens out to reveal four mounted CDs (one LP side per CD in order to retain the conceptual unity of the original) on a background of stunningly reproduced pre-1969 posters from Tadanori, with sunken compartments that house a bound collection of 24 full-colour postcards featuring Tadanori’s poster art and a 64 page hardback book (Japanese text) that includes an interview with Ichiyanagi and Tadanori as well as the press release from the time and a host of pics.

The music is something else entirely, a singular journey through huge, reverberant field recordings, beautiful idiot-avant ala Tori Kudo, dislocated fuzz-psych with distorted guitar tones that are as abrasive as steel, Brechtian-folk songs, spoken word, weird TV interference, snatches of news broadcasts, enka and weird acid-classical interludes.
            I'll tell you what............. What.
            What ?

Comment

http://homepage2.nifty.com/paganmusi...a/foreign.html
              I'll tell you what............. What.
              What ?

Comment

Steady On Aiff now I know so much information about Toshi Ichiyanagi an artist I had never heard about I am going to bid all his records up to at least 3 figures on Ebay. Leebrady was right, don't openly discuss music in Vinyl Vulture it only creates problems.
                Vinyl Sales are outstripping CD Sales 10000 to 1

Comment

Originally posted by platerpus
                  i've got a kettle lead here if that's any good......?
                  What's a kettle lead?

Anyway, are you really going to tell us that, if there's a record that you want that you haven't yet got, that you wouldn't prefer to keep it a little hush-hush until you get your mitts on it?
                  You freeking scientologists are all the same, quible, dribble and then demand ice creams. Ohhhhhhhhhhh.

Comment

Originally posted by Rich Hero
                    What's a kettle lead?
                    You use it to power a Kettle Drum....or possibly to make Kettle Chips, can't remember.
                    Matt Hero

Comment

The reason why I kept it hush was cos I wanted to recommend him more jap/korean music that's relatively cheap and easy to obtain.
                      However I know a few people who want these lp's and I didn't list them openly in the possibility that someone beats them to it
                      Fair...

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Hero
                        You use it to power a Kettle Drum....or possibly to make Kettle Chips, can't remember.
                        I thought he meant kettle lead (rhymes with 'head'), as in the lead wot they make kettles out of, innit? Tee hee.
                        Let him have the lot for £2.00 - we were only going to throw 'em out anyway...

Comment

http://www.kontraband.com/show/show....n=index-topten

If you're looking for a pristine copy then this isn't the one for you. The vinyl looks like someone has polished their brickwork with it and the label has been ruined by some fool with a pen.

Comment

Originally posted by leebrady
                            Fair...
                            Definitely fair - I often do that and so does everybody I know.
                            You freeking scientologists are all the same, quible, dribble and then demand ice creams. Ohhhhhhhhhhh.

Comment

fair indeed............of course..........and i do the same thing myself too believe me...........previous comments were not intended to be taken quite so seriously.............woops..........again

Comment

Working...
                              X