The Men Who Invented Record Collecting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Men Who Invented Record Collecting

Some of you will have seen this on Facebook but, for those that haven't, here's something I wrote about British record collectors during World War II...

EDIT: new home for the story - it is now here.
    Mixes, compilations and the like

A great read - thanks Jim.
    "..hole...road...middle thereof"

Comment

Enjoyed that immensely. Couldn't help thinking that some of those blokes belonged in the Armstrong & Miller Spitfire pilot sketches, though
      https://oneboxrecordfair.wordpress.com/
      http://twitter.com/#!/obrftokyo
      https://instagram.com/obrftokyo/
      https://www.facebook.com/Its-Time-Fo...5685810999497/

Formerly, lecturer at the University of Rome, with two commas and a full stop in the normal way.

(=^ェ^=)

Comment

Thanks for reading gents, glad you enjoyed it. Plenty of fascinating, bizarre characters (a little like this place, with the added threat of Nazi invasion).

Comment

Looks like a fascinating read! I'll check it out later.
          it's OK to head out for wonderful, but on your way to wonderful, you're gonna have to pass through all right. When you get to all right,
          take a good look around and get used to it, because that may be as far as you're gonna go.

Comment

Nicely done Jim. What a bunch of chaps.
            Everyone tear down your own little wall
            That keeps you from being a part of it all
            Because you've got to be one with the one and all
            You've just got to be close to it all

Comment

Excellent piece Jim. Back in the 70s I read 'The Riverside Villas Murder' by Kingsley Amis, a murder mystery set in 1936 and told from the viewpoint of the 14 year old Peter who has a penchant for radio dance bands in general and Ambrose & His Orchestra in particular. The murder investigation is led by a rather eccentric ex-military man called Colonel Manton who very much reminds me of some of the characters you describe. In one episode he invites Peter for afternoon tea and introduces him to numerous examples of 'hot jazz' from his own collection - but of course, it's really a subterfuge to slyly question Peter about what he knows of the murder.

I wonder if Amis had experience of any of your collectors? Here's one of Manton's recommendations to the lad;

you can hear colours when they rhyme...

Comment

Ace - didn't know about that book but think I'll buy it. Amis did know a lot about these collectors - he was at university at the time with Larkin and their group of friends were big collectors. Both of them became jazz reviewers in the fifties and they knew their stuff. I've not read much of Amis' (he did an introduction to an early fifties book on jazz that is quite good) but lots of Larkin's criticism is great, although mostly very grumpy. They both appeared in a far too long first draft of the article.

Comment

Brilliant, fascinating read. Thanks Jimmy.
                  "Don't get involved in the f**kin' chat pages. It's just full of arseholes talkin' sh*te non-stop"

Comment

Nice one, excellent read, passed this on to some of my mates.

Comment

Great read, thanks for sharing.
                      ¡A tope con la vida!

Comment

Wonderful read, thank you!
                        ------------------------------------------------------
                        "This is Modpowerpopsouljunkierock´n´roll so stop post shit like Jethro Tull, Pink Floyd, Grace Jones , Led Zeppelin and some other boring blues stuff, that kind of music don´t belong in this group, if I´ll ever see shit like that posted in this group again that person will be banned from this group forever!!!!"

Comment

Great stuff Jimmy - thanks!
                          In ((( VISUAL ))) Stereo

Eclectic Mud

Comment

Thoroughly enjoyed that. Hats off to anyone who uses a colon and a semi-colon in the same sentence.

"He bemoaned progressives and said Leonard Feather was the apostle of craven lunacy in Mickey Mouse music" is my favourite sentence.
                            Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!

Comment

Nice read.
                              Enthusiastic vagueness passes for scholarship in the twilight world of the disc-jockey.

John Peel

Comment

Working...
                              X