Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No Other

Gene Clark

Gadding about today I saw a copy of this. I gave it no further thought - perhaps recalling a Mojo piece from way back suggesting that it is a bit too 'way out'? I just looked on Discogs and it doesn't look cheap. Did I err in not picking it up?

Big err! Very excellent and deep slightly-cosmic country. Go back and get it!
    Muchos mixes <<<<

HELLFIRE VIDEO CLUB

Comment

second that, fantastic record.

(and Pencilface - please can you clear space in your inbox - thanks!)

Comment

Originally posted by bongolia View Post
        second that, fantastic record.

(and Pencilface - please can you clear space in your inbox - thanks!)
        Thirded
        Rockwell
        Banned (DJ Anchovy)

Comment

Inbox cleared, Bongolia!
          Muchos mixes <<<<

HELLFIRE VIDEO CLUB

Comment

It might be a while before I get back there. However, it was in with some right chaff. Perhaps the sleeve had something to do with that.

Is there a PC word or term here for 'chaff'?

Comment

Originally posted by Funktionnaire View Post

Yes, it's "chaff" - it means the husks of wheat and corn that aren´t used.

Nothing to do with "chav", which is Romany-derived.
              Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!

Comment

Matthew 3:12 "he will thoroughly purge his floor, and gather his wheat into the garner; but he will burn up the chaff with unquenchable fire."

you know what you have to do now when you next see a Richard Clayderman or Singalongamax (or Aussie equivalent)

Comment

Originally posted by bongolia View Post
                  Matthew 3:12 "he will thoroughly purge his floor, and gather his wheat into the garner; but he will burn up the chaff with unquenchable fire."
                  Chant down Babylon, Bongolia.
                  Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!

Comment

I now own a copy. Vg+/Vg+ I suppose.

The modern classical I have been buying is quite austere, when it isn't cobblers. Early days, but No Other seems quite lush. Country-rock coming of age in the 70’s? Title track slightly funky! But for all that, I am still hearing country-rock.

Given its rep and the response here I’ll stick with it for a while. But quite possibly for the out. Feel free to PM me if you want to pre-empt the issue with an offer.

Comment

I think you might be confusing chaff and chuff. But then, it's easy enough to confuse "chuff" with the very similarly spelled "chuff".

I'm not sure if it's just a Glasgow thing, or even just a small circle of my friends but I always refer to piles of "shand" in reference to the great Jimmy Shand, whose vinyl output is quite prolific up here. But my Edinburgh colleagues might refer to "shan" which I have no idea the meaning of.

I love the Byrds, I love early solo Gene Clark but I've always found something a bit too over-blown and pompous about "No Other" to properly get into it. So it falls into my "you can't get rid of that, it's a classic. Which one day I might get into..." section.
                      Club stuff: www.facebook.com/DivineGlasgow

Mixes: https://www.mixcloud.com/andrewdivine/

Photos: www.instagram.com/divine_glasgow/

Comment

Is 'Shan' not just an abbreviation of 'shanner' as a means of describing something awful? Although in this can clearly Shan or Shand would work equally well for the piles of tartan themed dross we wade through

Comment

I used "chaff" deliberately, being familiar with the wheat connection. Also as a WWII radar counter-measure.

Not sure about "chuff". I am familiar with the expression "well-chuffed", but I couldn't say exactly what it means.

I am happy enough with "chaff" as that seems to be house style. I am just wary of causing offence by calling someones's favourite combo "chaff". I thought there might be a VG+ favoured euphemism. Something like 'neglected classic'?
                          Last edited by Grim Lounge Cowboy; 20-03-2016, 12:01 PM. Reason: ?

Comment

I used "chaff" deliberately, being familiar with the wheat connection. Also as a WWII radar counter-measure.
                            Not clear why you thought the word chaff was "non-PC" in that case. Prejudice against discarded wheat husks?

Comment

Just an excess of caution on my part.

I've nothing against wheat husks.

Comment

Working...
                              X