Record grading disparity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Record grading disparity

I'll apologise in advance as I feel like I only talk about a couple of subjects on VG+ these days and record grading is one of them but I'm beginning to think I'm in a minority and perhaps wrong with my understanding of subjective grading. NB Waxi have been chatting recently about the same subject.

I've had a sleeveless Can - Tago Mago for a good few years. Paid just a fiver and the records are EX. Clean looking and no clicks/pops anywhere over 4 sides (only draw back being the labels have a Virgin Record shop stamp and some water damage). So I've been after a sleeve and finally a Tago Mago pops up on Discogs with the ideal scenario of VG vinyl (so getting the LP cheaper) but VG+ sleeve with only a little seam wear and ringwear. £40 after P&P which I was more than happy to pay to finally get a sleeve.

So my question is who else would grade this VG+ as it seems the majority of records I buy online would follow a similar grade. I personally don't see a record sleeve with heavy ringwear and threadbare seams being VG+ and don't think very good should be attached to any sleeve in this condition. However, because of the grading system being complete bollocks it appears to me most would grade it VG+ or certainly VG. I wouldn't have bought a VG sleeve but VG+ should always indicate IMHO that the sleeve only has minimal wear, especially using the Goldmine grade rather than RRPG. Who on here would have bought this and been genuinely happy with that sleeve description as VG+? If the answer is the majority I'll have to rethink my grading standards and accept I really am too fussy.

I'm still happy the whole package has only cost me £45 but I'm probably gonna just bite the bullet and get a spanking copy from a local shop yet to be priced but I guess will set me back £100+. Oh and incidentally the VG vinyl that came with the sleeve is scratched to hell and only fit for the bin.
    "Don't get involved in the f**kin' chat pages. It's just full of arseholes talkin' sh*te non-stop"

Originally posted by Campag Record View Post
    I'll apologise in advance as I feel like I only talk about a couple of subjects on VG+ these days and record grading is one of them but I'm beginning to think I'm in a minority and perhaps wrong with my understanding of subjective grading. NB Waxi have been chatting recently about the same subject.

I've had a sleeveless Can - Tago Mago for a good few years. Paid just a fiver and the records are EX. Clean looking and no clicks/pops anywhere over 4 sides (only draw back being the labels have a Virgin Record shop stamp and some water damage). So I've been after a sleeve and finally a Tago Mago pops up on Discogs with the ideal scenario of VG vinyl (so getting the LP cheaper) but VG+ sleeve with only a little seam wear and ringwear. £40 after P&P which I was more than happy to pay to finally get a sleeve.

So my question is who else would grade this VG+ as it seems the majority of records I buy online would follow a similar grade. I personally don't see a record sleeve with heavy ringwear and threadbare seams being VG+ and don't think very good should be attached to any sleeve in this condition. However, because of the grading system being complete bollocks it appears to me most would grade it VG+ or certainly VG. I wouldn't have bought a VG sleeve but VG+ should always indicate IMHO that the sleeve only has minimal wear, especially using the Goldmine grade rather than RRPG. Who on here would have bought this and been genuinely happy with that sleeve description as VG+? If the answer is the majority I'll have to rethink my grading standards and accept I really am too fussy.

I'm still happy the whole package has only cost me £45 but I'm probably gonna just bite the bullet and get a spanking copy from a local shop yet to be priced but I guess will set me back £100+. Oh and incidentally the VG vinyl that came with the sleeve is scratched to hell and only fit for the bin.
    You only need the first picture- that's never a VG+. I think if you can look at a record sleeve and see ringwear plus wear at all edges of the sleeve the best you can hope for is VG.
    "You don't want to kill the cash donkey"

Comment

Originally posted by Shere Khan View Post
      You only need the first picture- that's never a VG+. I think if you can look at a record sleeve and see ringwear plus wear at all edges of the sleeve the best you can hope for is VG.
      Yep. VG all the way for me with the following "Noticeable wear to seams and spine, creases, ringwear, but no splits".
      Doesn't the Goldmine system give a list of flaws at VG and then say VG+ should have some, but not all of those?
      https://oneboxrecordfair.wordpress.com/
      http://twitter.com/#!/obrftokyo
      https://instagram.com/obrftokyo/
      https://www.facebook.com/Its-Time-Fo...5685810999497/

Formerly, lecturer at the University of Rome, with two commas and a full stop in the normal way.

(=^ェ^=)

Comment

As long as you are happy with it Nige. I know what you are like though, and you'll be looking to upgrade that.
        Never in a million years is that VG+. Having said that, that sleeve always seems to be a bit banged up. Obviously, that's down to the design of the sleeve and the lighter than normal card. Not uncommon to see the Farfisa tab missing. Mine looks pretty similar to the one you've just bought, and it's looked like that since I bought it 2nd hand early 80s! I can't recall ever seeing a really nice one. Maybe I just don't look anymore as I'm happy with my comfy slippers copy
        Everyone tear down your own little wall
        That keeps you from being a part of it all
        Because you've got to be one with the one and all
        You've just got to be close to it all

Comment

Cheers guys...just glad to read its more in the VG area as I really am beginning to doubt my own opinions.

It is a dodgy sleeve for condition Paul...as you say very susceptible to damage.

Now can I bothered to contact the seller in the hope of a few quid refund or just let it lie, I'm more inclined to the latter choice!
          "Don't get involved in the f**kin' chat pages. It's just full of arseholes talkin' sh*te non-stop"

Comment

I'd get in touch as it's VG at most and the seller is probably chancing their arm - list it as VG+, and see if anyone complains.

Check their feedback, see if grading gets a mention.

Comment

Yes, that would be a VG to me, never a VG+.
              ¡A tope con la vida!

Comment

Does no harm to ask Nige. Especially as the records were bin fodder too. You have a case, you never know.
                Everyone tear down your own little wall
                That keeps you from being a part of it all
                Because you've got to be one with the one and all
                You've just got to be close to it all

Comment

Get back at that seller immediately and politely. Sleeve and records totally overgraded, VG- at best... say you politely want to return for full refund on the understanding that you will leave him positive feedback for keeping his customer happy. Give him the correct grading and refer to the page on Discogs which has the grading descriptions. £40 is a lot of money!!

PS I would be livid!
                  Spirit Duplicator—collectable, charming, affordable... and also socially networked on FB / Twitter / Instagram.

Comment

VG all day long. On discogs, you can virtually never trust grades that lack an accompanying description, unless it's someone you know that grades correctly.
                    I sell a bit myself and take care to describe the flaws. I virtually never grade anything NM. If it's a record from my own collection, well taken care of, my usual grade is VG+ with EX in the description. For the sleeve, if there's anything more than slightly rounded corners or mild edgewear it's VG.
                    ------------------------------------------------------
                    "This is Modpowerpopsouljunkierock´n´roll so stop post shit like Jethro Tull, Pink Floyd, Grace Jones , Led Zeppelin and some other boring blues stuff, that kind of music don´t belong in this group, if I´ll ever see shit like that posted in this group again that person will be banned from this group forever!!!!"

Comment

40 quid is a lot for something in that condition - totally overgraded. Eine's post above seems the best option. Incidentally one reason why I don't buy online anymore, too much grief.
                      some times play g+ with back noise,some times vg , super psyché juju lpfront sleeve is very nice vg back vg , but the top corne left is eating buy rats, ask for picture

Comment

Originally posted by eine View Post
                        Get back at that seller immediately and politely. Sleeve and records totally overgraded, VG- at best... say you politely want to return for full refund on the understanding that you will leave him positive feedback for keeping his customer happy. Give him the correct grading and refer to the page on Discogs which has the grading descriptions. £40 is a lot of money!!

PS I would be livid!
                        You sound quite livid already.
                        Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!

Comment

Definitely VG in my book.
                          A grade of VG+ is just wrong for that, too much wear
                          The Sound of Salvation blog

Final Upgrade Genuine Archive Item
                          Vault mint

Comment

Originally posted by medlar View Post
                            40 quid is a lot for something in that condition - totally overgraded. Eine's post above seems the best option. Incidentally one reason why I don't buy online anymore, too much grief.
                            I'm with you there. I'm repeating myself as I keep saying it on here but I've lost all confidence buying records online. Even when I buy NM or EX off good feedback sellers I seem to end up with a record that has difficult to see scratches which always result in clicks/pops.

Not that buying in the really world is any better. £50 spent on 2 LP's Sat which both have numerous clicks and pops throughout which can only be seen under bright light.

I know records are like life...less than perfect blah blah which is fine when you pay a couple of quid but when proper cash is being spent (more often than not these days) then they become a depressing extra shit factor in life I could do without.

I've sent a message to the seller btw. Thanks for the comments guys.

Comment

Wrong cover anyway.
                              All the Wolpertingers

Comment

Working...
                              X