Death of the night club...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Death of the night club...

An article here on the BBC about the steep decline of the Nightclub... Although the article isn't terribly well written, it did make me think...

"A generation has grown up with music streaming services and is not used to buying a CD, never mind entry into a nightclub."

So hopefully this thread might be a starting point for a discussion on the future of club culture.

Will this mean more DJ's in bars (and will they be any good)?
    Where else might you be able to "playout" for people, if nightclubs are on the wane?
    Would you miss them, and those big nights out?
    Are young people really drinking less, and going to more "food based events"?
    Is a niche music orientated night (rather than a cattle market drinkathon) viable these days... when most people now have access to hundreds of not hundreds of thousands of tunes in their pockets.
    Are the youth rejecting whats gone before or are they and their money being steered away?
    How are young taste makers getting heard and how good is social media for "breaking a tune", building a legend or creating musical myths.

I'm rambling a bit now, and you're unlikely to catch me in a nightclub these days, and I'm aware that i'm coming across as an out of touch 40 something but..... there's definately a part of me that hopes the next generation won't be deprived of the sort of experiences I had at these places over the years... Will the kids reminise one day about the first time they heard *that* chune at the back of the top deck of a bus with their mates on the way back from school / college... rather than from the local disco or pub juke box?

I'll stop now but I'd be interested in any responses / discussion that comes off the back of these meandering thoughts...
    In ((( VISUAL ))) Stereo

Eclectic Mud

I think a lot of it is economic factors. If the pub trade is anything to go by at least - round 'our way' a lot of the local pubs were seen off years ago with the rise in high street deals in the likes of Wetherspoons. That and the national brewery chains' stranglehold on the trade made it hard for independents especially to get a look in, so you ended up with bland places whose attraction wore off pretty quickly. Then pubs got hit with the recession and cut price booze sold in shops as people stopped going out so much. In my UK local you're looking at about three and a half quid a pint now. Not the kind of night out you can have too often if you're hard up.

I suspect nightclubs are suffering from the same problems. I'm no expert, but to add to the recession and consequent drop in spending, the 1990s clubbing /superstar DJ explosion and Ibiza scene have long since faded. Even Madrid's famous 'Joy' night club looks set to be turned back into a theatre again. But I suspect in general, main reason is there's just not enough money around as before.
    "THIS IS A FINE TAPE AND BRINGS BACK MEMORIES OF YESTERYEAR WHEN THE MUSIC WORLD WAS GOOD AND NOT FOULED UP BY THE LONG HAIR SCURVES WHO JUST BEAT WILDLY ON ANYTHING AND COME UP WITH A LOT OF STUPID NOISE THat only damnfools and liars say they like it"

Comment

The later night bar with free entry and a DJ seems fairly popular in most cities I go... smaller more intimate - 100 to 200 people often a better atmosphere... niche music events seem to be on the rise...

I can't think of the last time I paid to go to night club - it have been some time around 2000/2001 in Manchester - a Northern Soul night or a Grand Central thing..!
      "It's all just one big plastic hassle..." - Psych-Out

Comment

'Niche' club nights will always be here. The rise in Northern Soul events alone in the last 5 years is mind-boggling, frankly.
        new SPOKE release: >>> SEE HERE <<< RKM LIBRARY BEATS

Comment

do people go to nightclubs to listen to the music? I never did. well, I went to places that played the general music I was into but mainly to see mates, and meet women.
          you get apps now to meet women, so why go stand in a massive loud place with expensive drinks.
          instagram.com/vinylhoard

Comment

Originally posted by Paul-K View Post
            you get apps now to meet women, so why go stand in a massive loud place with expensive drinks.
            I went to dance. No app can convey the raw animal beauty of me getting down.
            They're banning poppers too, now. Millions of kids will never know the joy of feeling like your head's about to explode to Sylvester's Rock the Box.
            Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!

Comment

Originally posted by eclectiktronik View Post
              In my UK local you're looking at about three and a half quid a pint now.
              Where is this?!? (Is it a Sam Smiths?).

No-one's mentiones licensing yet. As the process of gentrification accelerates ever more, local councils are under pressure to reduce drug and alcohol abuse and antisocial behaviour (everything the Daily Mail tells the public goes hand in hand with nighttime debauchery) from their voters. So it's not at all far fetched to tie the demise of venues in with the increased demands on property and the lack of homes in this country. See the Arches in Glasgow as a case in point; I'll try and dig up some links when I get a moment...
              Last edited by Rich Hero; 17-03-2016, 03:13 PM. Reason: *NOT
              You freeking scientologists are all the same, quible, dribble and then demand ice creams. Ohhhhhhhhhhh.

Comment

I reckon for the majority of punters, night clubs just offered a chance to keep on drinking after 11

What times last orders in england these days? I haven´t been drinking outside of Scotland for a decade. In Spain you're still choosing what shoes to wear at 11.
                Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!

Comment

its 24 hours now isn't it in England? pubs stay open really late
                  instagram.com/vinylhoard

Comment

This has been brought up on the Faith board.

A few interesting views given those who post on there are seasoned clubbers/DJ's/promoters:
                    http://www.faithfanzine.com/phpBB3/v...6fc93053752041
                    it's OK to head out for wonderful, but on your way to wonderful, you're gonna have to pass through all right. When you get to all right,
                    take a good look around and get used to it, because that may be as far as you're gonna go.

Comment

To reverse the decline, they clearly need more themed nights, like 'erotic naahht'!

"THIS IS A FINE TAPE AND BRINGS BACK MEMORIES OF YESTERYEAR WHEN THE MUSIC WORLD WAS GOOD AND NOT FOULED UP BY THE LONG HAIR SCURVES WHO JUST BEAT WILDLY ON ANYTHING AND COME UP WITH A LOT OF STUPID NOISE THat only damnfools and liars say they like it"

Comment

Originally posted by MPFlapp View Post
                        smaller more intimate - 100 to 200 people often a better atmosphere...
                        Seconded - I started proper "clubbing" back in 1981 - and I've always had the best of times both musically and by meeting interesting people at the smaller places.

Comment

I was on a contract a few years back with a guy. He was what I suppose you would call an 'alt rock/indie' DJ. He was paid about 80 quid a night for basically plugging his laptop in and pressing play for a pre-programmed set, if the atmosphere waned he could easily slip in a tune he knew would get the crowd going again. He thought it was hilarious me not so much.

I started clubbing on and off from the early 90's to early 2000's when the music seemed not so exciting anymore. I think the smoking ban happened and it seemed to empty most of the pubs, probably a coincidence as a lack of money and a huge financial crash didn't help matters and as discussed cheap booze etc.

There is so much music now on the net it all seems a bit overwhelming actually owning the bloody stuff means at least you know you'll play it. The art of a good album seems lost on a lot of today's youth. My three all have ipods with the same songs on that they just keep adding to. I always wanted and still do want to hear something I haven't heard before everyday!

You hear about buzz on the internet but apart from minor YouTube celebs I can think of few who have truly broken through in a big way via the internet off their own backs. I remember they made a big deal about 'Lilly Allen' and the 'Artic Monkeys' breaking through on 'myspace' but lets face it Lily was manufactured and the artics were already a hugely popular live band.

I don't know... the vinyl revival however small proves there are still young and old people out there who want to own and covet music.

I've not been to a nightclub in years. From what I see young kids just want to get smashed and listen to their iPod. Its like a whole generation of that annoying person at house parties who used to take over the stereo. From talking to my step kids who are at Uni they go clubbing occasionally but its nothing like what I remember a night out was, not that I remember with much clarity these days. They dont take drugs to my knowledge but I know the cost of booze inside these places puts them off staying for a full night.

As for pubs there is a slight revival of the real ale pub companies such as 'Joules' (spelling) taken on large pubs and serving real ale and food. I'm told this off my father as I don't go into pubs anymore either, well rarely!

I'm kind of with Paul I only went out to Dance, get wasted and meet women and I was pretty unsuccessful with at least 2 of those things.
                          Mixes, Music: https://www.mixcloud.com/amitron_7/

Music: https://blackmoofou.bandcamp.com/

Videos: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCL1...bw92ZSjvLMZKlQ

Latest Infant Project: https://soundcloud.com/bcmf

Comment

Originally posted by someblokecalledfuz View Post
                            Would you miss them, and those big nights out?
                            I don´t miss playing out at all, and I did it a lot for over 10 years.I enjoyed it, but it was easy to turn my back on it.

I never much liked pre-club clubs, where DJs (including me) would play exquisitely eclectic sets at medium volume mostly to their mates.

Yeah, it's the big nights out I miss. Going out with your gang, hearing tunes you knew they'd play and no one else did, and hearing them really loud.
                            I've often thought I prefer clubs where I don´t know the music at all more than the ones that play the stuff I'm into. I used to go to a dive here that played filthy, squidgy techno all night long, and I loved it without ever wanting to know what the tunes were.

It might be heresy on this board, but there's no need to own the music.
                            Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!

Comment

I would think rent increase/selling for flats/business rates must be a factor in it as well.
                              When the smoking ban came in I don't think anyone thought about the B.O. issue ! The stench was sometimes overpowering.

Originally posted by someblokecalledfuz View Post

"A generation has grown up with music streaming services and is not used to buying a CD, never mind entry into a nightclub."
                              The whole streaming model is a weird thing to me.
                              Spotify have have had insane losses $1.22 Billion and Beatport brought in a streaming service in 2015, the same year they had a reported loss of over $5million.

Spotify have been going for ages now but it still isn't making a profit. Amazing it's still being pumped full of money.

Comment

Working...
                              X