Scotch Eggs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scotch Eggs

Scotch eggs: fuckin' tennis balls of luxury - cock on!

Can be a bit dry though - eating 'em by themselves on the go, in the van? Don't be such a bloody chav. Accompaniments is the classy thing to do here, but which ones? Time to experiment.

Now I don't want to puke myself silly doing the Pepsi challenge a hundred times over, so here's a few I tried, one with each bite of the golden breadcrumbed globe:

Cracked pepper: the classic. The French would approve of this, though it doesn't deal with the 'dry piece of rubber' situation.

Mayo: don't be so bloody predictable!

Soy sauce: eeuw.

Spiced chutney: nice, worked well, probably because of the sugar content counteracting the three kilos of salt found in every rounded surprise.

Mango chutney: nice, but a bit 'chicken tikka masala'.

Mustard (English): a logical choice, but a bit overpowering

Mustard (French): good too, less overpowering

Mustard (franchise): the American shit version of mustard works better.

Mustard (wholegrain): wholegrain mustard is for Islington wankers who think they are foodies because they like Nigel Slater - wholegrain mustard isn't even mustard, it's mustard seeds in vinegar: disgusting and I didn't try it, wouldn't insult the Scottish egg with this shit.

Brown sauce: goes well with anything, but a bit breakfasty

Red sauce: is for retards.

Horseradish: Aha! The best of the lot, maybe tied first with the spiced chutney. Went down well, no desire to puke my guys up.

So, I think the most common choices have been covered now. Time to get exotic. Would anyone care to add to this database? I'd advise all to stock up on your scotches, as it's Good Friday tomorrow and your brain will be crucified by your Judas Hangover: perfect conditions for scotch egg experiments...
    Last edited by Nick Cope; 24-03-2005, 09:36 AM.
    http://wakeupanddie.com
    http://weirdgearnyc.com
    http://makethingsmatter.com

sometimes, Nick, you seem like a very strange man.
    We know when a mate buys it for you too.

Comment

more meat product excitement and strange people:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/w...re/4367699.stm

Comment

Waitrose Scotch Eggs have a chutney-type relish injected into them to counter the dryness

"golden breadcrumbed globe" LOL!
        new SPOKE release: >>> SEE HERE <<< RKM LIBRARY BEATS

Comment

I always struggle to eat any food where the word "injected" is included in the description of manufacture...

If you're looking for a pristine copy then this isn't the one for you. The vinyl looks like someone has polished their brickwork with it and the label has been ruined by some fool with a pen.

Comment

I like wholegrain mustard.
            Let him have the lot for £2.00 - we were only going to throw 'em out anyway...

Comment

Originally posted by Sie Vulture
              I always struggle to eat any food where the word "injected" is included in the description of manufacture...

does that mean jam doughnuts are off limits. which btw morrisons do the best. its all about the castor sugar coating.

talking of scotch eggs, i prefer a whole egg over the mashed up egg centre (which i think are then termed savoury eggs).

Comment

Originally posted by Sie Vulture

hmmmmm, you're right of course
                and talking of Scotch Eggs and injections...
                Scotch Egg injection horror (but it turns out alright in the end) link

Comment

Have you ever tried a 'Nargis Kebab'? I had one in an Indian restaurant once... it's a scotch egg, but the meat is tandoori... I have to say it went down a treat... but I was mashed at the time!
                  Official Old School UK Hip Hop T-Shirts available at www.stylewarrior.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Martin Lovegrove
                    Have you ever tried a 'Nargis Kebab'? I had one in an Indian restaurant once... it's a scotch egg, but the meat is tandoori... I have to say it went down a treat... but I was mashed at the time!
                    I had something like it in Goa a couple of years ago - really nice flavour done the tandoori way but the meat was chicken

Comment

i like the idea of Grosvenor Pie - the Scotch Egg meets Pork Pie combo. can one of you foodie experts tell me why this is now always called Gala Pie?

Comment

Being a non-meat eating person, I had to attempt Scotch eggs with the 'just-add-water-and-heave' wonder that is SosMix.

Once bitten, twice binned.
                        Jet Boy stole my baby.

Comment

Originally posted by Col Wolfe
                          hmmmmm, you're right of course
                          ... but as with all great morals, it will be tossed out of the window around 2am on Friday morning as I stumble p*ssed up into the nearest takeaway!

bring on the weekends drinking !
                          If you're looking for a pristine copy then this isn't the one for you. The vinyl looks like someone has polished their brickwork with it and the label has been ruined by some fool with a pen.

Comment

Nick, there appears to be a glaring omission in your condiment diatribe - what's your position on Tartare?
                            Let him have the lot for £2.00 - we were only going to throw 'em out anyway...

Comment

Originally posted by Martin Lovegrove
                              Have you ever tried a 'Nargis Kebab'?
                              if michael jackson ever asks you this, tell your mummy immediately
                              http://www.blaxploitation.com
                              Chops for show, groove for dough.

Comment

Working...
                              X