couple of questions...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• couple of questions...

just came back from buying some cheap records in several secondhand stores...

i really dig the rasa - oasis (live) lp eventhough his vocals are "a liitle bit" out of tune sometimes
    so i started to wonder if they released some records earlier then the "everything you see is me" album, and if they are worth listening to...??

then i bought a record from fadhili william called "malaika". i don't know if i like it or not. some parts are quiet cool, even funky (like some cheap afro-beat sometimes ). everything i found on the net was, that he was kind of a one hit wonder in africa. anybody knows something?

i took some anna jantar records too (just because they're from poland). there are some cool parts on it (i allready took a nice drumbreak out of it), but the engineer must have been sleeping. hell, it's mixed too bad (and mostly really cheesy too, guess the engineer can't something fot that )! i've never heard of her so far, but she looks like she's everybodys darling and a successful popprincess in poland (and did a eurovision songcontest in the mid seventies ). so i guess the records are quiet popular there. am i right? some infos about her?

i also bought the nice "revolutions per minute" and "o lucky man" soundtrack and a couple of progrock vinyls. was a cool day for me, each piece for 2 sFr.
    i have no idea if all these records are rare (jantar, rasa, fadhili) or not, but i like them! so if anybody knows something...just write. thanks!
    Last edited by effi_deep; 24-03-2005, 02:31 PM.
    Autobahn vas ein Monster: here she is, mit 7 others

I've had two or three Anna Jantar LPs over the last couple of years, but they've all been fairly MOR in material and production, as many extremely cool-looking Polish LPs can turn out to be. She was a big star in Poland through the 70s though, and died in 1980 in a plane crash, I think. Her daughter is Natalia Kukulska, who's another Polish pop princess I know very little about.

That said, I wouldn't entirely rule out a few good tracks on her LPs, as I've found several batches by artists where two out of three were useless, but the third (mostly useless too) might turn out to have something tucked away on it... Halina Kunicka, say, has put out lots of LPs with scattered decent cuts on them (some bossa and a Polish take on 'Fever' in her case) but others, like Irina Santor, or Irina Jarocka, Slawa Przylbyska and Anna Jantar have yielded nothing so far. If you find these, pay pence only in a spirit of experimentation, and for the great Muza/Pronit sleeves.

Ones to look out for are Urzula Sipinska, Halina Frackowiack, Maryla Rodowicz, Alibabki and the like - always something decent on their LPs so far. And anything involving a composer called Katarzyna Gartner, too - Beat Mass and a folk-rock musical translating as 'burnt glass?' about a sort of Polish robin hood folk hero are both amazing. Some sleeves to peruse on the fonopress site - http://www.fonopress.com/gallery/page1.htm
    Last edited by wayne; 24-03-2005, 11:14 AM.
    a giant steam-powered turntable in warwickshire plays six foot cement recordings of Prince Albert's speeches to the rejoicing populace

Comment

.. nice one Wayne - being an Notty lad myself, I remember there being quite a large Polish community in and around Notts... I suppose you must find a fair bit of Polish related music (and Polish issues of LP's) when you're out and about ??

.. I was in Germany last week and found the Muza/Pronit label release of Selena Jones "Moment Of Truth" for 15 Euros. I've been after that LP for *aaaaaages*. Sorted. Totally groovy cover!
      If you're looking for a pristine copy then this isn't the one for you. The vinyl looks like someone has polished their brickwork with it and the label has been ruined by some fool with a pen.

Comment

Rasa are Swedish are they not? Or on a Swedish label?
        I see their records all the time in thriftstores and never buy'em cause I figure - if they would've been any good someone would have picked them up a long time ago....
        Besides - I'm a little turned off by hippies.... and the jackets gimme that vibe...
        Never heard a thing though - maybe I should start picking up their albums...
        "Only one thought left, that makes me come alive,
        and that is you and me side by side, on the licorice ride"

Comment

Originally posted by Brainbomb
          Rasa are Swedish are they not? Or on a Swedish label?
          I see their records all the time in thriftstores and never buy'em cause I figure - if they would've been any good someone would have picked them up a long time ago....
          Besides - I'm a little turned off by hippies.... and the jackets gimme that vibe...
          Never heard a thing though - maybe I should start picking up their albums...
          yeah. i see them all the time too! but mostly the 80s stuff and i'm telling you, you really can't listen to those! but the 1978 "everything you see is me" has a nice dusty groove like tune called...don't remember it. but it's okay. the oasis live thing i like too. okay, i think either you like it or you hate it. it's very athmospheric with some nice e-piano and guitar stuff. pick it up, cause it's cheap you can't go wrong.
          Last edited by effi_deep; 24-03-2005, 02:22 PM.
          Autobahn vas ein Monster: here she is, mit 7 others

Comment

Working...
          X