Alphbetical?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alphbetical?

if you arrange your collection alphabetically, how do you arrange order of albums? release date?
    my collection isnt alphabetical. but I will soon have proper shelves so will be re arranging the whole collection.

do you put albums together and then 12"s or everything by release date?

I used to do mine in order of how much I liked the artist and then original release order. probably not the best way for other people browsing
    instagram.com/vinylhoard

Originally posted by Paul-K View Post
    if you arrange your collection alphabetically, how do you arrange order of albums? release date?
    my collection isnt alphabetical. but I will soon have proper shelves so will be re arranging the whole collection.

do you put albums together and then 12"s or everything by release date?

I used to do mine in order of how much I liked the artist and then original release order. probably not the best way for other people browsing
    Alphabetical but not in any release order. 12"s are on a separate shelf. Like many people (probably) I have a number of systems, though. I've got Alphabetical Reggae, Soul, and Jazz. Alphabetical 12"s. Three different alphabetical Rock/Pop sections- no, four different Rock/Pop section. That sounds stupid but I had a section on one wall and it got full up so I started a section on another wall. Then that filled up so I started another etc. I've got one on each wall now. I should start at A on one wall and just go around the room but I cannot be bothered. Obviously piles all over the floor in no order, as well. Filing is a bit of an issue. Like everyone I'd just like to junk a load and get it in order but life gets in the way. Nobody else browses my records so it's not an issue. The only real problem is MRS SK falling over in the room- even I have had some close shaves.
    "You don't want to kill the cash donkey"

Comment

I've never had so many albums by any band to wonder about order within an artist's work.
      Enthusiastic vagueness passes for scholarship in the twilight world of the disc-jockey.

John Peel

Comment

I have a crate of Hendrix albums. I am thinking of keeping them in the crate and putting them somewhere else. just keeping out a few of them.

ive always wondered about alphabetical, I think I could do it. but,, actually is the whole collection alphabetical or by genre? I was thinking a shelf per genre then alphabetical.

confusing, at the moment they are all in boxes, I have no idea what is where. this seems like the best way to leave them at the moment
        instagram.com/vinylhoard

Comment

Geographical/Genre seems to work fine for me.

I wouldnt be looking for Bone Orchard next to Bergendy for example.
          All the Wolpertingers

Comment

geographical! oh god, I hadn't considered that.
            instagram.com/vinylhoard

Comment

Fortunately, Adam and the Ants' 3 lps are alphabetical and chronological

Dirk Wears White Sox
              Kings of the Wild Frontier
              Prince Charming
              Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!

Comment

excellent. that's all that's needed
                instagram.com/vinylhoard

Comment

Mostly for turkish / soviet / mpb / Bollywood and US

Its a more organic filing system because of the similar paper stock used on the covers in each region.
                  Disco / Libraries/ and Punk/Metal get their own section and so does everything that was released after 2000 and Hip Hop.
                  All the Wolpertingers

Comment

This hierarchy:

Format/size/speed always separated
                    Then 'unsorted'
                    Then it's genre/ethnicity/location modulated with how hep/cool/uncool/untouched by consumerism the musicians are
                    Then it's 'unsortable'
                    Spirit Duplicator—collectable, charming, affordable... and also socially networked on FB / Twitter / Instagram.

Comment

Originally posted by eine View Post

modulated with how hep/cool/uncool/untouched by consumerism the musicians are
                      Do you have a chart for that?
                      All the Wolpertingers

Comment

Originally posted by Shere Khan View Post
                        Alphabetical but not in any release order. 12"s are on a separate shelf. Like many people (probably) I have a number of systems, though. I've got Alphabetical Reggae, Soul, and Jazz. Alphabetical 12"s. Three different alphabetical Rock/Pop sections- no, four different Rock/Pop section. That sounds stupid but I had a section on one wall and it got full up so I started a section on another wall. Then that filled up so I started another etc. I've got one on each wall now. I should start at A on one wall and just go around the room but I cannot be bothered. Obviously piles all over the floor in no order, as well. Filing is a bit of an issue. Like everyone I'd just like to junk a load and get it in order but life gets in the way. Nobody else browses my records so it's not an issue. The only real problem is MRS SK falling over in the room- even I have had some close shaves.
                        Basically this.

Although I always file albums chronologically within artist, which is a tic that is really totally unnecessary and a bit weird considering the disarray the rest of my filing system is in once again. I have swung from strict genre separation to deciding to lump everything together and back to genre separation but now it’s a sort of halfway house which is patently ridiculous. The basic problem is, of course, too many records, and the layers of sub-sorting that results – i.e. the listen to pile, the listen to again pile, the make a mix of the one trackers and then get rid pile etc etc.
                        I am once again reaching the point of listening paralysis – I walk into the room, gaze at the records in their various piles, fail miserably to decide what to listen to, walk out of the room and do something else (which often entails trawling the internet for more records!).
                        I have managed to reduce my charity shop trawling and car booting recently though with a view to giving myself some breathing space. Of course I am now missing the thrill of the hunt and I know the only real answer is to have a proper purge and then I can carry on! (Although it looks like my son may well be moving out soon so his bedroom could become another filing area…).

Comment

Originally posted by candiman View Post
                          Basically this.

(Although it looks like my son may well be moving out soon so his bedroom could become another filing area…).
                          I've already done this. I don't recommend it. It's bad enough having several systems downstairs without having to think about another one upstairs.
                          "You don't want to kill the cash donkey"

Comment

Originally posted by Cacapo View Post
                            Do you have a chart for that?
                            It's quite a long guide book. eg What proportion of people on the sleeve are wearing shades?, Do the musicians want to be No. 1?, Do the musicians take drugs?, Do the musicians take drugs but as part of their religious/tribal practice?, Is there swearing? How much? A little? A lot? Too much?
                            Spirit Duplicator—collectable, charming, affordable... and also socially networked on FB / Twitter / Instagram.

Comment

Two boxes.

1 = core collection. All fantastic, so order isn't an issue.

2 = the rest. Barely worth looking through anyway.

Same system lps and cds.

Comment

Working...
                              X