Record buying conundrum #2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Record buying conundrum #2

I seem to recall a thread which offered advice on buying from a private seller but can't find it..

Basically, a record (that has since become my holy grail) was on discogs at a price which was out of my league at the time. It had been there some months so the seller dropped the price and, upon inquiring about it then dithering (me not him), he subsequently decided to put it back into his collection but said he'd consider selling it at a later date. I subsequently sent a couple of emails upping my offer and got radio silence for a few months but now he's just got in touch today to say he's looking at selling it again.

In the meantime, I have been on a fruitless search for this LP and am really keen to scratch the itch (Ms. Needledroppin' asked me a few months ago what is my #1 most desired record of choice and I realised it was this one). However...

a) during the discogs email chain, he asked for my private email and discussions are taking place this way (dunno why but my spidey sixth sense tingled a little that it's now out of the discogs system)
    b) another copy (albeit in worse condition) has gone up on discogs for a ridiculous price. Don't think they'll get what they want (they've obviously found it at a booter or equivalent and are chancing their luck) but I suspect that this has been the trigger for the previous seller's interest in selling it.

I've asked him to send pics with today's newspaper in the shot so I can verify he has it (as per advice given here in the past for private purchases) but what other conditions would you apply to ensure that the transaction goes smoothly? Pay through paypal perhaps (can get a refund if it all goes pear-shaped?) or ask him to put it back up on discogs at a suitable time that I can buy it immediately?
    Light surface marks, sleeve is torn near centre of opening (due to rough removal of disk by a moron)

As long as you pay by Paypal, you should be covered. You can find this out beforehand.
    If the paypal payment is funded 100% from your credit card, you should have a fallback position (better check your credit card issuers policy on online purchases).
    And insist on registered post, of course.

Other factors would be the sellers feedback score on discogs and where he is located in the world.

As for him taking the discussion off discogs, this isn't necessarily a bad sign. It's probably just to save on fees. When you sell a big ticket item on discogs, the 10% fee starts to look large, and don't forget discogs collect VAT aswell these days. So when someone makes an offer thats lower than the asking price, I imagine its not uncommon for the transaction to go "incognito".
    Dave Lee Roth, I Too Am Running With This Devil Of Which You Speak (sic)

Comment

Cheers. Yeah, think I will stick to paypal on this one regardless (even though their exchange rate is questionable at times from UK to EU). Seller is EU based, has 1,000+ transactions under his belt and I think he's pretty legit but it's a big ticket item for me so want to minimise the possibility of risk as much as poss on this one...

So, presuming it does go bad, I would just request a refund via paypal, then they review the scenario (e.g. doesn't turn up) and refund accordingly? Again, best case scenario is it does turn up but is it as simple as that if it doesn't? Anyone else had a tricky situation of this nature? As for what LP- I'll reveal the ID if it all goes through ;-)
      Light surface marks, sleeve is torn near centre of opening (due to rough removal of disk by a moron)

Comment

As long as you pay by Paypal for goods and not as a Gift/To Friends and Family , your not covered then
        If he asks or insists for that , and you are prepared to do this, tell him you've not enough funds in your a/c to send as a gift but offer to pay the commission for him , 4%
        And make sure that your paypal payment includes words like payment for such and such record

Comment

Cheers Reza- sounds like a plan!

Comment

I have bought and sold ’outside’ of discogs many times, and with success.

It’s a good way to get the price down from discogs priced records. Why give 10 % to discogs? They don’t actually do anything if there’s a problem.

Maybe I trust people too much ... but again, it worked so far.

Comment

Whenever I see threads about concerns over the security of online record dealings, my mind drifts back to "the olden days" of going to the post office, exchanging a pile of cash money and stuffing wads of dollars into a padded envelope. Then posting it, in the full knowledge that the person behind the counter knew you'd just put all the cash into an envelope which will hopefully make its way to the US of A. It would take a week or so to get there and a week or so for the records to come back - meaning about THREE weeks of agonising paranoia. I must have done this dozens of times and you know what? I can't remember a single deal going wrong.

So, err, ponder that Papa Needledroppin'! I'm sure the grail is meant to be yours, and will be with you soon. Fingers crossed!
              Club stuff: www.facebook.com/DivineGlasgow

Mixes: https://www.mixcloud.com/andrewdivine/

Photos: www.instagram.com/divine_glasgow/

Comment

Happy to report that the deal went down and the grail is now in my hands after a long weeks' wait (thank goodness it wasn't three otherwise I might have melted with the anticipation!) . Thanks to everyone that offered advice. Although the copy is without the iconic cover (which meant it wasn't as stupidly expensive as it could have been), I'm just happy to have the music. A proto-ambient electronica classic for me!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3z3DdDEHIw

Note- this is a 7min edit, the full two sides are up there too.

Comment

Happy to hear it all worked out for you...
                  Club stuff: www.facebook.com/DivineGlasgow

Mixes: https://www.mixcloud.com/andrewdivine/

Photos: www.instagram.com/divine_glasgow/

Comment

Beautiful stuff and one I had never heard of!
                    ...if in doubt consult your dealer.

Comment

Working...
                    X