• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• eine
    replied
    Originally posted by bongolia View Post
    Ferrante & Teicher:

Pianos In Paradise - nice exotica
    In A Soulful Mood - after this one. only cheapie, but US only I think. Full on Rhodes/Harpsichord Timmy Diggalot BREAKZ4DAYZ. Possibly F&T didn't have much to do with it.
    Also am looking out for the early prepared piano ones. Have Hi-Fireworks and Heavenly Sounds in Hi-Fi already, but missing Soundproof etc. Probably all US only releases. UK releases tend to be their standard fare (Exodus, etc)
    Originally posted by Sonovox View Post
    Dynamic Twin Pianos got a UK release on London but I think you're right on the rest...
    The stereo Soundproof got a UK issue on Westminster Hi-Fi / Associated Recordings Ltd. Looks to have been pressed in 1961, five years after the USA release.

Leave a comment:

• Shere Khan
    replied
    Originally posted by amidar View Post
    I should stop buying 'Oscar Peterson' records also, I have far too many
    If you have the space I don't think you can have too many.

Leave a comment:

• amidar
    replied
    My Threshold is zero for 'Beatles Songbook' albums I think the only Chacksfield I have is the 'Hawaii' one and probably the 'South Sea Island' Bongolia mentions somewhere. I have far too many Aldrich albums its depressing, they do have good covers though and usually at least one decent toon. Peter Nero albums have never remained in my mitts for long.

I think the SpaceAgePop' page lists the prepared piano 'Ferrante and Teicher' albums, I only have 'Dynamic Twin Pianos' (yep on London). Basically anything pre their signing to United Artists might be of interest.

If a hammond album has a naked woman on it I think everyone generally knows that it will be turd but if there is a band or 'Rhythm Accompaniment' listed I'll have a sniff. I'll buy anything that mentions 'Stereo' or 'Percussion' in big letters my threshold for stupid Exotica albums is large.

A new cover of 'Wichita Linesman' always raises my interest levels also.

I should stop buying 'Oscar Peterson' records also, I have far too many and bloody 'Tommy Garrett' with his 50 guitars records. I have a fondness for 'Pepe Jaramillo' records I don't know why maybe its that weird self-taught style he has.

Like most I rarely pay over a quid sometimes nothing for these records and never have.

Leave a comment:

• Skip
    replied
    It's when you find yourself resisting a twenty pound lp thinking that's a bit steep whilst meanwhile carrying forty 50p records a month out of charity shops and finding barely a track between them. It was only the fact I'd dropped 8 quid in that shop last week that stopped me cleaning them out even more.

100 posts - yay!

Leave a comment:

• Milesago
    replied
    Originally posted by Shere Khan View Post
    I can't disagree with you, 50p is, essentially, free. They're almost paying you to take them.
    When addiction to music/vinyl becomes addiction to buying records (my current malaise, and I know I'm not alone), the 50p record is a godsend. The rest is just rationalising the selection process.

Leave a comment:

• Sonovox
    replied
    Originally posted by bongolia View Post
    Ferrante & Teicher:
    Also am looking out for the early prepared piano ones. Have Hi-Fireworks and Heavenly Sounds in Hi-Fi already, but missing Soundproof etc. Probably all US only releases. UK releases tend to be their standard fare (Exodus, etc)
    Dynamic Twin Pianos got a UK release on London but I think you're right on the rest...

Leave a comment:

• Shere Khan
    replied
    Originally posted by Milesago View Post
    Yeah but it's cheaper and easier to just buy the 3 records.
    50p each, c'mon!!

PS. I reckon this is also the reaction most lurkers on VG+ would have to talk of groovy tracks on Happy Hammond Vol.49 or whether Klaus Wunderlich Im Knechtschaft is a one tracker or not.
    I can't disagree with you, 50p is, essentially, free. They're almost paying you to take them.

Leave a comment:

• Milesago
    replied
    You know there is no stigma attached to seeking psychiatric help in this day and age?
    Yeah but it's cheaper and easier to just buy the 3 records.
    50p each, c'mon!!

PS. I reckon this is also the reaction most lurkers on VG+ would have to talk of groovy tracks on Happy Hammond Vol.49 or whether Klaus Wunderlich Im Knechtschaft is a one tracker or not.
    Last edited by Milesago; 19-04-2016, 12:47 PM. Reason: added PS

Leave a comment:

• Shere Khan
    replied
    Originally posted by Milesago View Post
    To top it all off, you even had a Big Tom cover variation. I would have to go back and buy all three.
    You know there is no stigma attached to seeking psychiatric help in this day and age?

Leave a comment:

• Milesago
    replied
    Really interesting film, I enjoyed that, thanks. There are indeed some good tracks on that Dolphin LP you pulled ("14 Irish Hits..") which compiles a number of 1968 singles on the Dolphin label. Just after it in the same box was a copy of the Best Of The Best Irish Showbands LP (Hallmark) which recycles mid-60s showband singles on Pye. It's a much less interesting selection than it could have been given Pye released the lions share of showband singles up to about 1970. Its also includes some examples of showbands flirting with the 'Dark Side', AKA country & irish, and further on is 'On Stage' by it's creator/originator Johnny McCauley, who wrote loads of country songs covered by Irish artists. To top it all off, you even had a Big Tom cover variation. I would have to go back and buy all three.

Leave a comment:

• eclectiktronik
    replied
    So do I. 'Independent Air', 'Houdini Said', 'Too Much Attention'.... Don't suppose you got his new one last year, 'Latin A La G'? I thought it was excellent but I didn't think anyone here would agree with me!
    Nowt to be ashamed of! Gilbert is a classic UK (/Irish!) songwriter. All original stuff. That first Lp is great. Later albums like Southpaw start to get pacthy maybe but there's always a few gems. I think his legal hassles at that time were possibly to blame. I think what I like is that there are some unexpected/absurd lyrics mingled with the more profound (and at times mawkish, let's be fair). And he has a good ear for a tune, to put it mildly
    Haven't heard the new stuff, keep meaning to do so online.

Leave a comment:

• bongolia
    replied
    Chacksfield I've kept (although be warned that my threshold is low for Beatles covers/Exotica):

Plays the Beatles Songbook
    Plays Bacharach (late one)
    Hawaii
    South Sea Island Magic (early one, pre-Phase 4)

Ferrante & Teicher:

Pianos In Paradise - nice exotica
    In A Soulful Mood - after this one. only cheapie, but US only I think. Full on Rhodes/Harpsichord Timmy Diggalot BREAKZ4DAYZ. Possibly F&T didn't have much to do with it.

Nero:

kept this: https://www.discogs.com/master/view/630359 ("I've Got To Be Me" aka "The Piano Magic Of")
    but can't remember why. Think it's probably a one-tracker, and probably for Soulful Strut: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itEs4_u2qeg

Aldritch:

Purged everything except for "It's Happening Now", can't remember why kept though. Hopefully something else good on it besides Soulful Strut.
    Shame, because he has some of the best Phase 4 sleeve designs

Leave a comment:

• babycart
    replied
    I enjoyed the video, but it also frightened me a little and made me glad I live in a place that has no vinyl.

Leave a comment:

• Shere Khan
    replied
    Originally posted by eclectiktronik View Post
    I'd have grabbed that Gilbert o'sullivan 'Himself'. Love that record.
    So do I. 'Independent Air', 'Houdini Said', 'Too Much Attention'.... Don't suppose you got his new one last year, 'Latin A La G'? I thought it was excellent but I didn't think anyone here would agree with me!

Leave a comment:

• eclectiktronik
    replied
    Great video with wonderful cheesy backing music!

Peter Nero: usually (always?) shyte. As are Ferrante and Teicher, they seem to share the Ronnie aldrich '2 piano' sound. And Bobby Crush.
    Ray Mc Vay: - variable, too much ballroom chud. Think I have one good one.
    Doubt there's any wurlitzer worth having. Nor honky tonk piano.
    Frank Chacksfield - all the ones I 've picked up were lame. Any thoughts chaps?

I'd have grabbed that Gilbert o'sullivan 'Himself'. Love that record.

There seemed to be a few Klaus Wunderlich I'd not seen before. I'd probably have grabbed them! Can't get better hammond cheese than ol' Klaus.
    Did you get that Jimmy smith one near the end with 'latin touch down' on? great title!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X