"Lost" Record Shipment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Lost" Record Shipment

So I ordered two separate shipments from the US and UK to Germany via Discogs around 3 weeks back. While the US package arrived surprisingly fast within roughly a week or so, Im still waiting for the UK lot. This was shipped nearly 3 weeks ago and Im still waiting for it to arrive. I contacted the seller who rechecked the address etc., said everyhing is fine and that it usually should have arrived by now. He mentioned though, that he's had other buyers in Germany who had packages delivered while they werent home but the delivery guy never left a notification card. Unfortunately, this happens more then just on some rare occasions. The problem now is that, since the two records ordered werent real big ticket items, I didnt opt for tracking, so I have no ID or anything to identify the package. And without that, DHL cant help me supposedly, even though I wonder how it is not possible to find out where/if a package is lying in the local post office by just giving them your name.

Has anyone had a similar situation either buying from or selling to Germany? The only option I see atm is to wait and have the package sent back to the seller (which will take a while as international shipments are held 2 work-weeks) and then try again. That is if it really was originally delivered while I was away.
    Hip-Hop: https://soundcloud.com/beater-pan

Everything else: https://mixcloud.com/beater-pan

Instagram: http://instagram.com/beater_pan

I've sold a record to a German buyer and after 2 weeks the buyer contacted me to say it hadn't arrived. Thankfully the following day it was returned to me with a sticker suggesting it hadn't been collected. I contacted the buyer and sure enough he confirmed he'd not had any card to suggest it was at his local depot. We split the costs and I reposted to the same address and thankfully he got it on the second attempt.
    "Don't get involved in the f**kin' chat pages. It's just full of arseholes talkin' sh*te non-stop"

Comment

Now I just feel stupid for posting this, as it arrived yesterday evening. Just another case of snail mail and me being too impatient..
      Hip-Hop: https://soundcloud.com/beater-pan

Everything else: https://mixcloud.com/beater-pan

Instagram: http://instagram.com/beater_pan

Comment

I've the same problem.
        Ordered a box set from a London record store on April 8th. The store said they posted it (by snail mail) on April 11th but it still hasn't arrived.
        The thing is the record store claims there is no tracking number so I have no way to track the shipment. So I can only hope it's not stolen or lost in the post.
        This seems very strange to me. The box set cost 120 Euro and I don't understand how it's possible that there's no tracking number at all but I guess I have to accept it.
        Everything in Greece is arpa kolla

Comment

Following up on my previous message.

My parcel still hasn't arrived and the record store claims there is no tracking number as it's sent by first class mail. I asked them to check with Royal Mail but I'm pretty sure they will advise it's impossible to track the parcel. Is this true? First class mail cannot be traced at all? Royal Mail does not issue any tracking number/proof of posting at all for first class mail?

Comment

Originally posted by Aggie View Post

My parcel still hasn't arrived and the record store claims there is no tracking number as it's sent by first class mail. I asked them to check with Royal Mail but I'm pretty sure they will advise it's impossible to track the parcel. Is this true? First class mail cannot be traced at all? Royal Mail does not issue any tracking number/proof of posting at all for first class mail?
            Unfortunately not for first class mail. Recorded delivery / tracked & signed is additional.

They should have a proof of posting receipt (or record of printing the labels) so they can make a claim if it does go missing. But that's not helpful in tracking the item though.

Comment

If the sender has any sense they should at least obtain a proof of posting which will prove they have taken it to a post office and sent it. This doesn't assist in tracking though. For a low value items this may be okay but not for yours because, unfortunately ordinary first class post is only covered up to £20 for loss or damage.
              "You don't want to kill the cash donkey"

Comment

Royal Mail does not issue any tracking number/proof of posting at all for first class mail?
                The Post Office receipt can act as proof of postage although that relies on the seller having asked for it. And proof of postage simply means confirms that the seller sent it, it doesn't track it further than it's entry into the postal system. There are plenty of tracking options available but they aren't automatically applied, they cost extra over and above the postage. Does any postal service (rather than courier) do this? Some senders will insist the buyer pays the extra to track a shipment, others will rely on the buyer requesting them.

One positive is that, if the seller hasn't paid for any tracking it's unlikely that they've mentioned the value of the parcel to the Post Office (or the person behind the counter would probably have insisted on some form of cover), which means the package isn't advertising the price of its contents to anyone handling it between here and your doorstep.
                You freeking scientologists are all the same, quible, dribble and then demand ice creams. Ohhhhhhhhhhh.

Comment

Thank you for the replies, all input is welcome and appreciated especially as losing a package has never happened to me before.

Comment

Working...
                  X