Bob Moog interview in new scientist

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bob Moog interview in new scientist

Not exactly in depth, but some interesting history from the technicians behind three advances in electronic music...Moog interview
    ... Bob Moog mentions that the first Moog hit was by Wendy Carlos ... Surely she was still a man in those days?
    It ain't shakey

indeed she was, but I guess Bob Moog is just following convention there and calling her what she is now, if you see what I mean. Either that or the sub-editor at NS cut it, on the grounds that Walter/Wendy's history is really of marginal interest to the story of Bob Moog, and it's only a tiny piece anyway...
    We know when a mate buys it for you too.

Comment

Is of big interest to me though!
      What is the truth beyond Walter-Wendy?
      On her own homepage she claims the record-company didn't think electronic music played by a woman would sell so they told her to use the pseudonym Walter...
      Other sources say that it was a man who went through a sex-change...
      Why is she trying to cover up then??
      Why not stand for what he/she is/was??
      So either she's been a woman the whole time... or she's a sissy...
      "Only one thought left, that makes me come alive,
      and that is you and me side by side, on the licorice ride"

Comment

ok, Walter definitely became Wendy at some point, but it's the date that's in question. i'd read the date of the change was 1967, before Switched-on-bach, or 1969, after Switched-on-bach. it's a gradual change though, so wouldn't have been overnight...

Comment

Didn't she take somebody to court last year for crediting a track on a comp to "Walter Carlos" instead of "Wendy" (sorry I can't remember the exact details) - talk about TOUCHY!
          MUSHRUMPS Daily party-prog MP3 blog

Comment

Originally posted by john stapleton
            ... it's only a tiny piece anyway...
            ouch.

I saw the moog documentary recently, and she doesn't appear in it, and barely gets a mention. i think she got dealt with quite badly by the press when she went through the change and decided to retreat fom life completely, only coming out to sue people.

Comment

From Walter-Wendys own FAQ on the official homepage:

"Q: Why do some of the old LP's have a different name on them?

A: Please be assured that these are all Wendy Carlos albums, and were so when they were first completed. But-- to cut to the chase, in those less enlightened times strong selfish opinions were voiced (synthesizers are a "male" enterprise, don't you see...?). I was flabbergasted to be denyed fair credit (the first S-OB's had no cover credit at all, in fact, just: "Performed on the Moog Synthesizer," creating another misconception: that the Moog synth did it all. CBS signed our instrument, not us, to a contract -- talk about getting no respect...). Well, politically incorrect fears and dissembling perpetuated a fictionalized identity including faked pictures, for 10 years (grrr...). I naively let them run amok, forced to hide from the public until 1979, when fed up, I pulled the plug on the whole mess. Yes, a depressing tale -- old "news" by now. People can be cruel.

On the other hand many female authors have used male pseudonyms, especially if it was believed their writings might be received "more eagerly" with a male image in front of it. Think of George Sand, Sig-O to composer Frederic Chopin, and many more up through Alice Sheldon, the writer whose excellent SF novels were credited: James Tiptree, Jr. A few men have recently written us in (threatened?) outrage, insisting we should perpetuate the folly, and still refuse accurate album credit, "to maintain consistency" (once wrong, always wrong?). Unbelievable cheek (proof we haven't come so far?). Arrgh! Please feel free to bop a few heads for us... "

Comment

strange and quite sad that she's in denial...

ok, after more Googling, he had the first consultation in '67, and then started hormone treatment, the 'change' was in '72, and she legally changed her name to Wendy in '79.

sex changes are always seen as a joke, like transvestism, but it must be really awful to be born thinking you're one sex in the body of the other...

Comment

well Bongo
                  I am not seeing it as a joke that someone is transexual...
                  but can't help think it's rather nutty to deny the sex-change completely and try to rewrite history...
                  could've worked fine if she was not a famous person in the art/music business - stubbornly refusing to cope with the fact that there must be tons and tons of proof and testimonials from someone who's led a life in public IS quite fun, in the same way a child stubbornly denying eating the whole cake with face and fingers full of chocolate is fun...

Comment

Well, it looks like both NS and Bob Moog were doing the right thing by Wendy.

So, what are the other reasons for pseudonyms on artist credits:

The Walter/Wendy case highlights those lovely suits at the record companies keeping the unpalatable truth from the spending public... I think there were some "Simon & Garr" releases because "funkel" was deemed too jewish.

Money must be a big one, either avoiding a royalty payment (Red Red Wine was, apparently, written by "Bagdafarian" on Hallmark's Reggae Tight), or wriggling out of contractual (or tax) obligations (John Lee Cooker is particularly imaginative).

Artist self-indulgence must also be a big one, Mr Bowie, as well as using a name that sounds more rock 'n' roll, less pedestrian, or even more pedestrian than the artist's given name. I'm not sure why Gordon Mills thought comedy names were most appropriate for his roster but it seemed to work.

I guess some artists prefer the musical freedom, and personal anonymity that comes from having a variety of pseudonyms. It might also allow them to disassociate themselves from past failures.
                    It ain't shakey

Comment

Originally posted by Brainbomb
                      well Bongo
                      I am not seeing it as a joke that someone is transexual...
                      that wasn't a complaint about you or anyone here! i meant society in general, and preusmably the journalists who didn't take it seriously...

Comment

being tied with a contract to a certain record company and wanting to release elsewhere is a very common reason for pseudonyms...

Comment

one of my favourites is the budget release of suspiciously Mongo sounding material under the name Nina Pinta...

now, what were Columbus' three ships called again?

Comment

was there a ship called Mongo??
                            or am I missing the point?

Comment

I was just checking out that link you put down to wendy's site. The some mad stuff on there, her artworks...etc

Apperently there's a whole load of unreleased soundtrack material she made for the shining, sounds good

but also found these pages which I think relate to the whole walter/wendy issue..

check it out

http://www.wendycarlos.com/pruri.html

http://www.wendycarlos.com/ouch.html
                              Earfuzz

Comment

Working...
                              X