Come to my garden

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Come to my garden

Had a Saturday night in on my own yesterday playing records non stop for 10 hours ( apart for a break to buy a kebab-small doner,chilli sauce,minty onion,tomatoes and cucumber.No coleslaw ).Started off playing a few funky 45s and then changed the mood with '60 Seconds to What' which led on to David Axelrod then the KPM comp 'Music for Dancefloors',Janko Nilovic,Ramsey Lewis,Barbara and Ernie,Free Design (Daniel Dolphin is THE most sublime song )and gave the lovely Minnie Ripperton a spin.

I've got a GRT gatefold copy which I think is the original first pressing.The thing is that I've always had to play this louder than all my other records as though it was mastered very quietly.I normally listen with the volume control at 8 o'clock on the dial but on this it is more like 11 o'clock.The dynamics are all flattened out so you don't get the attack from the strings and drums like you should.Has anyone else noticed this?
    The only other record like this is 'Up Above the Rock' by Ray Bryant - very quiet.
    I finished my night off with 'Suite London'.Lights off,just the glow from the hi-fi...perfect  
    Back to Neuuuuuuuuuu!

If you're gonna stay in on a Saturday night, then you couldn't beat a nite like that! Good call on the doner bud, you gotta let that coleslaw go!

My copy of "Come Into My Garden" is the US Janus press from '72 and it's very VERY quiet. That's why I held out to find a mint, sealed copy because you know that a VG copy is gonna sound bad and "eggs and bacon" once you crank it up... I've also got "Les Fleur" on a GRT 45 and, like the album, it's pressed very low (and trimmed to under 3 minutes, with the last 20 seconds faded out !! )

"Les Fleur" deserves 11 on the dial, in order to listen to Minnie's vocals soar above Stepney's string arrangement... fantastic track.

"Suite London" to finish... nice call...  
    If you're looking for a pristine copy then this isn't the one for you. The vinyl looks like someone has polished their brickwork with it and the label has been ruined by some fool with a pen.

Comment

Originally posted by [b
      Quote[/b] (Mumbles @ 08 June 2003,09:45)]The only other record like this is 'Up Above the Rock' by Ray Bryant - very quiet.
      How odd....

My copy of "Up above the Rock" (the 7&quot plays fine. In fact, I'd say it's cut on the loud side.

I reckon I've got about 50+ 7"s on Chess / Checker /Cadet and associated labels - I've never noticed that any of them are pressed quiet.
      Endless Tripe

Comment

Yep, the 45 is meant to be mastered differently from the LP. Nice, loud drums. Not that I have either, but I do have 'Quizas, Quizas, Quizas' on 45 from the same LP and Grady Tate really gives it some welly.
        You freeking scientologists are all the same, quible, dribble and then demand ice creams. Ohhhhhhhhhhh.

Comment

I thought Maurice White was the drummer on all that Chess Stuff?
          Endless Tripe

Comment

Oops, for some reason I thought it was Grady but Maurice would figure. Obviously AMG's no help so can anyone help (AMG's no help whatsoever)?

You freeking scientologists are all the same, quible, dribble and then demand ice creams. Ohhhhhhhhhhh.

Comment

This is covered in Robert Pruter's excellent "Chicago Soul" book. I didn't bring my copy into work with me today but I'll try to remember to have a flick through tonight and get back...
              Endless Tripe

Comment

Yup,it's Grady on 'Up Above The Rock'.The single is a different version to the Lp...it's got the loud handclaps.The track to listen to is 'Say A Little Prayer'.Grady doesn't quit on that one!
                Back to Neuuuuuuuuuu!

Comment

Working...
                X