Muhammad Ali RIP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Muhammad Ali RIP

He was the greatest. RIP King of the World.

Last edited by Carlitos; 04-06-2016, 01:35 PM.
    ¡A tope con la vida!

Fought with his fists, but mostly his brain. Brave beyond reason, even taking on the US government over Viet Nam. Watch those early fights, he was like a dancer. His appearances on tv chat shows were arguably as big a draw as his appearances in the ring. Buckets of charisma. I grew up with a sports mad dad, so got to stay up late watching the Ali fights from around the world, when I had school the next morning, so it's double sad as I'm reminded of time spent with my dad when I was a kid. I don't watch boxing anymore, I realise it's consenting adults, but I just find it too brutal to watch in light of the resulting (long term) injuries. Still doesn't take away from my memories of Ali stepping into the ring, don't know about butterflies and bees, he was like a lion walking in there. And then he turned on those magic feet.
    Very difficult to watch the recent footage of him. Hopefully he can rest in peace now.
    Everyone tear down your own little wall
    That keeps you from being a part of it all
    Because you've got to be one with the one and all
    You've just got to be close to it all

Comment

One of my heroes and brave to the end. People forget he lost his 3 peak years over the Vietnam thing not allowing himself to fight. One of the few people who could go anywhere in the world and people would know who he was and call him 'Champ' wherever he went.

My favourite fight probably because there is such a good documentary on it was 'Thriller in Manilla' the build up and hatred running up to that match even Ali think he went too far with someone of his cracks towards 'Joe Frazier' especially his slights on him being more 'White' than 'Black' I don't think Frazier ever forgave him but that fight is crazy 16 rounds where they can barely throw a punch by the end, kids hanging from the girders on the roof. It would never happen nowadays. There were loads of fights in his earlier years just as exciting then there is 'Rope a Dope' and all that.

There was a brilliant book I read a few years ago about a martial arts expert and his friendship with Ali its a really good insight into the man his brain, dignity and all round Love. I'm gutted I feel like someone really special has left us. He transcended Boxing and made it a true art-form, we'll never see his like again.

You don't have to like boxing, in fact you could think it utter thuggery but if you don't know anything about 'Ali' the man I urge you to read up on him. A genius and a legend two words I think are thrown around too liberally these days but utterly correct in this case.

Just to add he loved the UK because of the respect he got here, our welcoming of anyone regardless of creed, colour, religion or where they came from. He'd be horrified by whats happened to it. Remember in those days his home state of Kentucky gave him no respect.
      Last edited by amidar; 04-06-2016, 03:21 PM. Reason: context
      Mixes, Music: https://www.mixcloud.com/amitron_7/

Music: https://blackmoofou.bandcamp.com/

Videos: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCL1...bw92ZSjvLMZKlQ

Latest Infant Project: https://soundcloud.com/bcmf

Comment

Not a lot I can add to the above, except perhaps to say that I feel sorry for those too young to have been around when he was boxing - impending Ali bouts were the talk of the school playground for weeks before and after - a great man, loved by everyone, we'll never see his like again I fear...
        you can hear colours when they rhyme...

Comment

Originally posted by treeboy View Post
          I grew up with a sports mad dad, so got to stay up late watching the Ali fights from around the world, when I had school the next morning, so it's double sad as I'm reminded of time spent with my dad when I was a kid. I don't watch boxing anymore, I realise it's consenting adults, but I just find it too brutal to watch in light of the resulting (long term) injuries.
          Exactly the same for me.
          I remember going into school to collect my winnings after the rumble in the jungle. Everyone says they loved him now, but at the time there were plenty who thought he was a big mouth who needed to be taken down a peg or two, and it was generally thought that Foreman would destroy him.
          What always astonsihed me was how much he could take. The first Frazier fight is better than any Rocky movie.

My favourite bit of lip

Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!

Comment

Coincidentally I picked up an early paperback copy of Tom Wolfe's Kandy- Kolored Tangerine Flake Streamline Baby yesterday, which features an essay called The Marvelous Mouth about Cassius Clay and his gang hitting New York before the Liston fight.

Clay goes out on the street where three black kids - a washtub bass, drummer and dancer - are busking. But immediately his presence draws more attention than the band and he's swamped by autograph hunters. So he says "Tonight it's one dollar an autograph" and points to the kids' bag, which is overflowing before long.

Earlier, in the hotel room he takes a cool jazz record off the record player and sticks a "rock n roll" 45 on instead, saying “This old boy's an alley singer, nobody ever heard of him, he sings about beans and bread and all that old mess".

Any ideas?
            Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!

Comment

'Beans And Cornbread' by Louis Jordan and The Tympany Five? - would have posted the video myself but I'm at work and can't - it's an official fun free zone, y'know....

Comment

Originally posted by giantchicken View Post
                'Beans And Cornbread' by Louis Jordan and The Tympany Five? - would have posted the video myself but I'm at work and can't - it's an official fun free zone, y'know....
                Dunno if you could claim no one had heard of Jordan in 1965.
                Could be anything, I suppose, and Tom Wolfe isn´t that reliable. He mentions "Eretha" Franklin in the same piece.
                Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!

Comment

Fair point - despite the song being littered with pre-fight braggadoccio, Jordan was pretty well known. And we don't even know for sure it was the 'bread and beans' song young Cassius played, only a 'rock 'n' roll' song.

The Treniers (based around four brothers from Mobile, Alabama) were amongst the pioneers of rock 'n' roll, appearing in many early rock'n'roll movies including 'The Girl Can't Help It' and 'Don't Knock The Rock' and being Jerry Lee Lewis' opening act on that infamous British tour. The youngest brother, Milt, later opened a lounge bar in Chicago where his many showbiz friends (including you know who) would often drop by. On the flip of their 1956 single 'Rock 'N' Roll Call' is this...

Btw, I played this out on Saturday...twice in fact....

Comment

Originally posted by amidar View Post

There was a brilliant book I read a few years ago about a martial arts expert and his friendship with Ali its a really good insight into the man his brain, dignity and all round Love. I'm gutted I feel like someone really special has left us. He transcended Boxing and made it a true art-form, we'll never see his like again..
                    That would most likely be this one:
                    http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/3...f_Muhammad_Ali

Read it many years ago and it really cemented Ali as one of my heroes growing up. Whatever your views on boxing are, I also felt he transcended the sport and his words in this book really get that across.
                    Light surface marks, sleeve is torn near centre of opening (due to rough removal of disk by a moron)

Comment

Originally posted by treeboy View Post
                      I grew up with a sports mad dad, so got to stay up late watching the Ali fights from around the world, when I had school the next morning, so it's double sad as I'm reminded of time spent with my dad when I was a kid. I don't watch boxing anymore, I realise it's consenting adults, but I just find it too brutal to watch in light of the resulting (long term) injuries.
                      Almost the same here, except my Dad wasn't sports mad in the slightest but he made an exception for Ali.

RIP.

Comment

"Here comes the Fun Cooker!!"

Comment

Comment

That's exactly the one I thought it had 'tau' in the title must be 20 years ago since I read it, library job. It was a great read and as you said got that he transcended his sport and really got across what he was really all about behind the brilliant wit and soundbites and numerous great fight whether you like boxing or not.

Originally posted by Papa needledroppin' View Post

Read it many years ago and it really cemented Ali as one of my heroes growing up. Whatever your views on boxing are, I also felt he transcended the sport and his words in this book really get that across.
                            Originally posted by Papa needledroppin' View Post

Mixes, Music: https://www.mixcloud.com/amitron_7/

Music: https://blackmoofou.bandcamp.com/

Videos: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCL1...bw92ZSjvLMZKlQ

Latest Infant Project: https://soundcloud.com/bcmf

Comment

believe me, he never looked after his singles

The Garden Facebook Blog

Comment

Working...
                              X