Abbacore

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Abbacore

Trying to put together a mix that summons up esprit d'abba (or however you say that in Swedish). Looking for ace Abba soundalikes, quality MOR Europop and Abba deep cuts please!

Last edited by Rush-goalie; 04-07-2016, 11:28 AM.
    https://www.facebook.com/Zine-and-He...96405/?fref=ts

Hmmm...are there actually any ABBA soundalikes? I could see some elements of ABBA in the first two of your songs (and particularly like the Games song) but both feature quite complicated chord sequences at points that would have been a bit off ABBA's chart-friendly pop radar. Plustwo sound in some ways not unlike the current Australian outfit Alpine - the keyboard solo made me laugh out loud though....and that last one was nothing like ABBA at all....I suppose the stock suggestion here is Tight Fit's 'Fantasy Island', but I'm guessing you already know that....I'll rack my brains, but don't hold your breath...
    you can hear colours when they rhyme...

Comment

Disappointed this is not about a new K pop craze.
      All the Wolpertingers

Comment

Brotherhood of Man (obviously)

Music Go Music

"Ridicule is nothing to be scared of"

www.myspace.com/illustratedlondonnoise*********illustratedlondonnoise.blogspot.com

Comment

Luv'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vHllh7J-g2o
          "Ridicule is nothing to be scared of"

www.myspace.com/illustratedlondonnoise*********illustratedlondonnoise.blogspot.com

Comment

Quite why anyone would want Abba soundalikes when the original is so bad is beyond me! Still, mine is not to reason why...

Was watching this 70s cheese fest today and realised that this song is basically a rewrite of 'Waterloo'!
            "THIS IS A FINE TAPE AND BRINGS BACK MEMORIES OF YESTERYEAR WHEN THE MUSIC WORLD WAS GOOD AND NOT FOULED UP BY THE LONG HAIR SCURVES WHO JUST BEAT WILDLY ON ANYTHING AND COME UP WITH A LOT OF STUPID NOISE THat only damnfools and liars say they like it"

Comment

Originally posted by giantchicken View Post
              Hmmm...are there actually any ABBA soundalikes? I could see some elements of ABBA in the first two of your songs (and particularly like the Games song) but both feature quite complicated chord sequences at points that would have been a bit off ABBA's chart-friendly pop radar. Plustwo sound in some ways not unlike the current Australian outfit Alpine - the keyboard solo made me laugh out loud though....and that last one was nothing like ABBA at all....I suppose the stock suggestion here is Tight Fit's 'Fantasy Island', but I'm guessing you already know that....I'll rack my brains, but don't hold your breath...
              I agree with none of the songs sounding a lot like ABBA, and the Agnetha track is her distancing herself from ABBA, produced by Mike Chapman. But I wouldn't call ABBA's hits uncomplicated. The early hits, like Ring Ring, Waterloo, Dancing Queen are quite simple in structure, but they actually produced a few hits with some great chord progressions, like SOS and Knowing You, Knowing Me, before Björn and Benny drifted off towards musical land.
              ------------------------------------------------------
              "This is Modpowerpopsouljunkierock´n´roll so stop post shit like Jethro Tull, Pink Floyd, Grace Jones , Led Zeppelin and some other boring blues stuff, that kind of music don´t belong in this group, if I´ll ever see shit like that posted in this group again that person will be banned from this group forever!!!!"

Comment

Middle of the Road?

Comment

Originally posted by cratedigger View Post
                  The early hits, like Ring Ring, Waterloo, Dancing Queen are quite simple in structure
                  Don't think I'd agree that Dancing Queen is simple. I'm not a musicologist but it sounds like melodic genius to my ears! I'd love to read a Revolution in the Head type forensic examination of it.

Thanks for suggestions so far! Embarrassed at finding the Brotherhood of Man track quite listenable. Taking a pass on Tight fit though. Music go Music was cool. I've liked that 'Climax Sisters' tune from Confessions for years!

Comment

In 2001 I was living in Hamburg, where I would often spend the evenings flopped out in front of MTV Base or repeats of German pop show Musikladen.

Musikladen from 1977-1981 was, I think, probably the premier showcase for Abbalikes in the world, with every episode featuring at least one girl group such as Luv, Clout, Pussycat, A La Carte. Arabesque, Baccara, Dolly Dots etc etc etc.

there is a playlist for EVERY SHOW on this Wikipedia page and Musikladen is all over Youtube.
                    Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!

Comment

I liked Luv, Arabesque and A la Carte best.

Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!

Comment

Last edited by Rush-goalie; 04-07-2016, 01:19 PM.

Comment

Am I wrong here? (love the song, though)

"Only one thought left, that makes me come alive,
                          and that is you and me side by side, on the licorice ride"

Comment

Originally posted by giantchicken View Post
                            Hmmm...are there actually any ABBA soundalikes? I could see some elements of ABBA in the first two of your songs (and particularly like the Games song) but both feature quite complicated chord sequences at points that would have been a bit off ABBA's chart-friendly pop radar.
                            Yeah, that Games album is considered Progressive Rock by Prog collectors, even with the healthy dollop of sugar therein. I have the LP, it's OK, but probably musically not worth the price it commands due to rarity. Earth & Fire started as a Prog-Rock band, and had 2 or 3 very good albums before going commercial pop.
                            https://www.discogs.com/user/moecurlythanu/collection

Comment

Originally posted by Brainbomb View Post
                              Am I wrong here? (love the song, though)
                              No, not wrong ... that piano line.

Comment

Working...
                              X