VG Plussers Assemble!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VG Plussers Assemble!

The board has been slightly quiet of late. I'm part of the problem as I haven't been posting much. I just wanted to check in and say 'hello'.

How's everyone doing out there?

What's new?
    SPIRIT DUPLICATOR Est 2015.

There's not enough big love on this site. We need to be more 'hands on'!
    https://tdrec.bandcamp.com/

Comment

Agreed!

Anyone found any VV / VG+ classics in the wild recently? What do you think is the hardest VV / VG+ classic to find (excluding Moody - Gentle Rain). I'm going to say Dum Dum. I've only ever seen one copy and it's sitting on my shelves. I've never seen it in a shop. at a fair, on the net...anywhere.

I picked up the first 'South of the Border' that I've seen in a good while this week - minty fresh and 50p. If any VG+er needs it just say so on here and it's yours free and gratis.

Whilst I'm on the subject can I just say a big thanks to Ben for his ongoing freebies posts - what an amazing chap. Make me ashamed that I don't do something similar.
      "..hole...road...middle thereof"

Comment

I woke up on Wednesday with a very strong feeling that, if I went chazza hopping, I would find a Stanley Black album. I did - Cuban Moonlight, Volume 2.

I also picked up records by Mouth and MacNeill, Dory Previn (a reissue, sadly), a sleeveless Busy making Progress LP (a benefits lp on the same label as Golden Avatar) and, the pick of the bunch, some random Hawaiian LP that drives the dog mad.
        SPIRIT DUPLICATOR Est 2015.

Comment

Originally posted by LDJB View Post
          Agreed!

What do you think is the hardest VV / VG+ classic to find (excluding Moody - Gentle Rain).
          The Hanged Man ! Should have seen a heck of a lot more of them, but it always seemed to be one that I would rarely see.
          Last edited by Great Day; 22-07-2016, 10:35 AM. Reason: cos

Comment

Never seen a Terry Cavendish - either in the wild or in a shop. Got "The Hanged Man" from a car boot sale 20 years ago or so but never saw another in the wild. It does turn up in London shops occasionally though. Ditto "Dum Dum". Got mine from MVE but have definitely seen a copy subsequently somewhere (I remember it being costly though). The LP that I keep hoping to turn up though is John Schroeder's "You've Made Me So Very Happy". Never seen an affordable one...
            Drastically reduced to 72p

Comment

There's been such a glut of desirable new and repress items across the formats, I've not really been out digging.

Originally posted by Great Day View Post
              The Hanged Man !
              'Latin Style' is the one LP I've picked up from a charity shop in the last, er, year.

Comment

Well, as I've been off work, I've been out digging loads more than usual - I've had a lovely time. There are still loads of weird, oddball records out there, and I've picked up a fair few. Nothing expensive or desirable, just the kids of oddities that you can only really get out of charity shops and junk shops.
                Mixes, compilations and the like

Comment

Originally posted by ginghamkitchen View Post
                  ...a sleeveless Busy making Progress LP (a benefits lp on the same label as Golden Avatar)...
                  I like this far more than I really should. I have two copies, both with sleeves, for some reason. Do you want it Paul? I'll send it your way if so!
                  Mixes, compilations and the like

Comment

Terry Cavendish is a good call - again only ever seen one and it's on my shelves. I have found the odd Hanged Man but not for a long time and did find my copy of John Schroeder's 'You Have Made Me...'.

Another question - has anyone found a VV / VG+ style LP that you think should be in the canon but is never mentioned. I picked one up recently that I'd never seen before and couldn't believe it wasn't on 'the list'. I can't remember who it's by but it has a killer version of our old pal 'Light my Fire' on it and I'm pretty sure it's a Pye quad thing. Will report back when I get home.

Comment

I am determined to track down vulture classics as cheap charity or booter finds, which puts a brake on the finds rate.

Moody, Dum Dum, and Hanged Man have all evaded me so far. The Roundtable and Spiral by Harry Roche are two more at the top of my hit list.

On the other hand I do still pick them up. And there is still plenty of vinyl in the wilds as far as I can see - I'm certainly still picking up more than a record a day. Usually a lot more. I should probably put up some charts, but I always put it off thinking 'once I've tapped out this genre...' - which is never going to happen. Let's all write some charts.

Comment

Another question - has anyone found a VV / VG+ style LP that you think should be in the canon but is never mentioned. I picked one up recently that I'd never seen before and couldn't believe it wasn't on 'the list'. I can't remember who it's by but it has a killer version of our old pal 'Light my Fire' on it and I'm pretty sure it's a Pye quad thing. Will report back when I get home.
                        Ah, yes - "My Own Thing" by The Des Champ Orchestra on Page One. Spent many years attempting to track a copy down. Side one has solid takes on "It Takes A Thief" (also issued on 45) and "Ticket To Ride" plus some great self-penned tracks. I included one of these ("Mr. Pigg") on a swap CD a couple of years back. Side two is more subdued but no less enjoyable.
                        Drastically reduced to 72p

Comment

Originally posted by Mang View Post
                          Ah, yes - "My Own Thing" by The Des Champ Orchestra on Page One. Spent many years attempting to track a copy down. Side one has solid takes on "It Takes A Thief" (also issued on 45) and "Ticket To Ride" plus some great self-penned tracks. I included one of these ("Mr. Pigg") on a swap CD a couple of years back. Side two is more subdued but no less enjoyable.
                          I have that 45 but never seen the LP! Sounds great.

Comment

I picked up an album called "Big Hits For Swingers" by Ray Ellis which has a fuzz-guitar + jazz combo cha cha cha version of "I Can't Get No Satisfaction" which is totally worth its addition into the vulture lists.

Comment

Oxfam in Headingley, Leeds has a bargain bin at the mo - lots of Tremeloes/Mindbenders/DDDBM&T b-sides to be had for 50p
                              "Here comes the Fun Cooker!!"

Comment

Working...
                              X