Predicament...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Predicament...

Any of you other charity shop / booter scavengers find yourself in the following situation...?

I buy stuff on a whim if cheap, and often as I can, following various trails you know how it is... and have found myself listening to a lot of pap over the years as well as some great discoveries.

However i'm increasingly finding that I spend my valuable listening time debating the dubious merits of mediocre records, tearing myself to pieces wondering if i should keep it or get rid off it... just cos i like a bit of a certain song, I mean how many session band covers of favourite songs do I need, let alone listen to?

I've had to pull out a few favourite records recently just to remind me of the really good stuff...

Does anyone have any effective tips for dealing with this situation as i'm running out of storeage...

Happy Easter by the way......
    In ((( VISUAL ))) Stereo

Eclectic Mud

Well.. I find that if it is a great record (or has at least 1 good track) it''ll be kept. If it really isn't very good but "alright here & there" , you can just stick it on a CD (if unsure) and get rid of it. When you start to own records well into the thousands and don't stay in a castle to house it all, YOU HAVE TO GET RUTHLESS or end up being overwhelmed.

It's either a good record..... or it isn't.

Well... that's my theory anyway...
    I'll tell you what............. What.
    What ?

Comment

Nah, I don't think it is either a 'good' record or a 'bad' record. I just can't separate it out like that...plus I'll admit to thinking far too much about relativist aesthetics and the like...
      Last edited by Little Jimmy Oddman; 27-03-2005, 09:13 PM.
      Mixes, compilations and the like

Comment

I get this all the time. As I'm ebaying a lot of my stuff at the mo, I can use the old 'would I pay £X for ti if I didn't have it' argument which works most of the time. The real problem for me is when something won't get any kind of money or won't sell on ebay. Then I have to start thinking...

Saying that though, this process has helped me unearth a few crackers I didn't know I had and helped me reassess some stuff I'd either dismissed or just decided it's alright and never listened to it. So it's a good thing as well as a bad thing, stupidly close listening to okay records sometimes turns up 'new' ways of appreciating stuff.

But, if I can't decide, I just ask myself 'do I enjoy owning this record?'. So I allow myself to get enjoyment from actually owning dozens of cheapo covers albums as well listening to them.

In the words of John Lennon...'miiiiiiind gaaaames'...

Comment

i try and use the old 2 year clearout of easy stuff...i'll go through the last two year easy finds...set aside a day to listen to it all...if any of the buggers talk to me (usually saying "don't get rid of me!!!!PLEASE!!!") i'll keep it..

I USE THE FOLLOWING CRITEREA TO HELP ME DECIDE:

If i hear something that's great to sample....i keep
          If it screams out one tracker or more....i keep
          If it has comedy value,either through the music/lyrics or even the cover or sleevenotes...I keep
          If it has through the cover any Kitch,Sex or Cool appeal...I keep
          If there's just an indescribable vibe to the whole record,something i just feel about it.....I keep

Doesnt really lead to me chucking much out though does it so probably no use to you what so ever Jimmy SORRY

If i do chuck em out i never even look on E-bay....I just let em out in the charity shop wild again...some one else might want them...
          Plus i think that everytime you do pick a duffer it's a brilliant learning experience that can only help sort the wheat from the chaff in your future finds
          Country be dyin like poor people do
          Hospitals be closing...doors to me and you (Lopazz - Blood)

And here's some other stuff that i get up to...

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Serio...796469?fref=ts

Comment

Originally posted by Shiftless When Idle
            Doesnt really lead to me chucking much out though does it so probably no use to you what so ever Jimmy SORRY
            Not me mate. I don't need help. Well. Maybe.

Comment

I'm with 'aiff' on this one. You gotta be ruthless.

I am listening to music every chance I get, on the turntables at home, on the mp3 player whenever I am going anywhere...bus, train, walking to the corner shop and back, you name it.

There is never enough time to even listen to the good stuff, let along the mediocre or bad.

Keeping stuff for sampling purposes. Not a problem.
              Keeping 'one track' lps, not a problem...they effectively become 12"s
              I am far from convinced personally about keeping a record due to its cover/sleeve notes meeting certain requirements.

Don't get me wrong if a record has a great cover I am all for it, but to me it is about the music & nothing but music. If my ears say "yes" it stays, if they go "nope" it goes. Even if my eyes are going "ahhh but wait a minute!

Say "goodbye" to mediocrity, then say hello again to that "back to the neck tingling" feeling you get when you listen to the good stuff
              www.sliderecordshop.com

Comment

Whoops

Originally posted by Little Jimmy Oddman
                Not me mate. I don't need help. Well. Maybe.
                He he he...i think we all need help with our collective conditions...vinylitis i believe its called...sorry i meant that for Fuzzy

Comment

Originally posted by Warren
                  Don't get me wrong if a record has a great cover I am all for it, but to me it is about the music & nothing but music. If my ears say "yes" it stays, if they go "nope" it goes. Even if my eyes are going "ahhh but wait a minute!

Say "goodbye" to mediocrity, then say hello again to that "back to the neck tingling" feeling you get when you listen to the good stuff
                  But don't you get a tingling feeling when you see a particularly nice cover, even if the contents aren't great? I guess it goes back to what I said about enjoyment...I enjoy having/looking at nice covers, as well as listening to nice music. It's a bit of a cliche, but they are works of art themselves.

Comment

Hear Hear

Originally posted by Little Jimmy Oddman
                    But don't you get a tingling feeling when you see a particularly nice cover, even if the contents aren't great? I guess it goes back to what I said about enjoyment...I enjoy having/looking at nice covers, as well as listening to nice music. It's a bit of a cliche, but they are works of art themselves.
                    I'm with ya Jimmy on that one...but Warren and Aiff make a good argument...for us two being a couple of saddoes

The thing is that like Jimmy says...they're works of art to some people and even if the musics naff i love to frame em and put them up...

Comment

Saddoes with some nice sleeves though...

Comment

Yeah.. the point I was really trying to make was that I'm swamped !!!
                        I don't know what stage you're at (or state if you like )
                        but I can't look anywhere without seeing records. Sometimes it gets to the point where you start to hate the damn things.. (passes quickly though). I've been collecting for a good 8 years or so.. It's everywhere !!! I'm thankfully past the obsession stage, but it really does get to the stage where you simply MUST start to cut off the weak ones.
                        Last edited by aiff; 11-10-2006, 12:11 PM.
                        I'll tell you what............. What.
                        What ?

Comment

The thing is that like Jimmy says...they're works of art to some people and even if the musics naff i love to frame em and put them up...
                          I'll freely admit I buy and keep records for the covers alone... definately art !

What do you have framed and hanging on the wall?

I've limited the publically displayed ones to 4 in the living room. They are...

'Music to relax to' Melanchino strings (sp?)
                          'Music for dining' as above...
                          'Music to soothe that Tiger' Herbert Reheim (sp?)
                          'Music for dreamtime' by Paul Weston

These 4 displayed in the living room change with the mood / season / wife's mood / special occassion etc...

In the spare / record / music room, pride of place goes to 'Fire Goddess' by Webley Edwards, but it has to jostle with the Lynch and Tretchikoff for attention...

Oh, I'm at that swamped stage, some things are just going to have to go... but how to decide?

For example, I was trying to thin my collection last night, and I said to myself i'll get rid of stuff I never listen to, even if they are good records. You know the stuff you find cheap that you know are worth more than 50p and you use for reference... and i've realised that I've skipped past all the rolling stones originals that I found one day really cheap in a chazza one day.

I can honestly say that I will never choose to listen to the rollings stones again, wouldn't want a friend or visitor spotting them and wanting to listen to them, and I prefer dodgy cover versions of the stones anyway... So what was it that mentally blocked me last night as I flicked through them, what was I thinking... how did I justify them to myself last night, it was late but...!?
                          In ((( VISUAL ))) Stereo

Eclectic Mud

Comment

Originally posted by someblokecalledfuz
                            I'll freely admit I buy and keep records for the covers alone... definately art !

What do you have framed and hanging on the wall?

I've limited the publically displayed ones to 4 in the living room. They are...

'Music to relax to' Melanchino strings (sp?)
                            'Music for dining' as above...
                            'Music to soothe that Tiger' Herbert Reheim (sp?)
                            'Music for dreamtime' by Paul Weston

These 4 displayed in the living room change with the mood / season / wife's mood / special occassion etc...

In the spare / record / music room, pride of place goes to 'Fire Goddess' by Webley Edwards, but it has to jostle with the Lynch and Tretchikoff for attention...

Oh, I'm at that swamped stage, some things are just going to have to go... but how to decide?

For example, I was trying to thin my collection last night, and I said to myself i'll get rid of stuff I never listen to, even if they are good records. You know the stuff you find cheap that you know are worth more than 50p and you use for reference... and i've realised that I've skipped past all the rolling stones originals that I found one day really cheap in a chazza one day.

I can honestly say that I will never choose to listen to the rollings stones again, wouldn't want a friend or visitor spotting them and wanting to listen to them, and I prefer dodgy cover versions of the stones anyway... So what was it that mentally blocked me last night as I flicked through them, what was I thinking... how did I justify them to myself last night, it was late but...!?
                            Well i used to have the Sexy Hammond ones up and basically any good easy covers with lots of frugging and/or Sex appeal...Big Jim H, Certain World Top Top tens and Top of the Pops ones...a few Harry Stoneham for the party scenes and some Ray Davis ones where he's dressed up in Kipper ties and crazy swinginging London gear surrounded by beautiful MUCH younger women (always makes me laugh)...That was about twelve years ago though and i suppose i've had to be a little more tasteful like you
                            Currently in my girlfriends room we have Latin Ala Lee! - Peggy Lee...Astrud Gilberto - The Essential...and Something Cool - June Christie.

As for your Stones thing you've got to think of it this way...out of all the records you have (and i'm sure you have quite a collection) how many do you really play of any of them?I have some BRILLIANT LP's up there on the shelves that i haven't probably played for 15 years...but they'll be a time when i'll want i reckon (in fact a few have just lurched back into my memory right now )
                            I think the very fact that you can't physically part with them says alot about you...you just ain't ready yet...you may never be...just face it...you already know the answer to your question...You're too much of an addict already!!!!

Comment

I think the very fact that you can't physically part with them says alot about you...you just ain't ready yet...you may never be...just face it...you already know the answer to your question...You're too much of an addict already!!!!
                              On the exotica list in which I participate occasionally, in a thread about rules of thumb of what to look out for when digging I posted the following... which would only serve to underline the AWFUL TRUTH...!!??!! I am indeed an addict...

'Rules of thumb for me...

Known artists
                              1967 - 1974
                              Specific labels
                              Specific instruments played on record
                              Specific musicians on record
                              Specific songs on record, known or interesting looking, and whether they are original compositions or not... Condition of the vinyl Appealing artwork... Price, if it's too much to risk on the known variables then it stays in the shop...

Rules are made to be broken though, and conversely if I find an interesting looking record that conforms to none of my rules of thumb it will get bought aswell, for the expansion of knowledge...

This may be the very definition of addiction and / or obsession ???'

In ((( VISUAL ))) Stereo

Eclectic Mud

Comment

Working...
                              X