Japan and physical formats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Japan and physical formats

Just stumbled across this on Twitter - a really interesting article which suggests that physical formats are still the most important in Japan, and why they have more record shops than anywhere else:

http://qz.com/711490/why-japan-has-m...t-of-the-world
    Mixes, compilations and the like

top post... D/Ls for the office until I can have a turntable on site - old school at this end... real books with pages and round things with grooves... fish and chips in newpaper vs a vitamin pill (a la Woody Allen in Sleeper) ;-)

Last edited by MPFlapp; 20-08-2016, 12:12 PM.
    "It's all just one big plastic hassle..." - Psych-Out

Comment

Thanks looks interesting. Given space issues you'd imagine the opposite effect.
      Enthusiastic vagueness passes for scholarship in the twilight world of the disc-jockey.

John Peel

Comment

Originally posted by Little Jimmy Oddman View Post
        Just stumbled across this on Twitter - a really interesting article which suggests that physical formats are still the most important in Japan, and why they have more record shops than anywhere else:

http://qz.com/711490/why-japan-has-m...t-of-the-world

Interesting. I read somewhere they have a word for this love of the physical format - "Jake-gai" which translates as 'buying jacket' - buying stuff just or mainly for the quality of the cover/design

Comment

Originally posted by IAN View Post
          Interesting. I read somewhere they have a word for this love of the physical format - "Jake-gai" which translates as 'buying jacket' - buying stuff just or mainly for the quality of the cover/design
          I think I may have done a bit of that myself.
          "You don't want to kill the cash donkey"

Comment

Well I think they forgot one of the main reasons: Japan people don't download illegally, simply because Japan people don't do illegal things.

Comment

Yeah, right. I spend most of my waking hours shouting abuse at drivers who ignore red lights. Jeez, if the cops could be bothered to install cameras and hand out penalty tickets, the city would not be short of cash.

Japan has draconian download laws (threatened jail time), but most of my Japanese friends don't seem to have any idea about it.

As for the original thread, I hear that CDs are still popular in Japan but I don't know anyone who buys 'em. I see a lot of rekkid buyers, but then I go to a lot of rekkid shops.

A lot of younger people that I know pay for an all you can listen to/ download service, or that may even be bundled with something else they pay for.
              "White paper inner sleeve is pristine ..."

Comment

Working...
              X