Most profit ever made on a £1/dollar record

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Most profit ever made on a £1/dollar record

I know we all collect/dig for the passion of our music, and not sure if this thread is suitable.
    I was wondering out of interest, what is the most profit that you have ever made on a £1 dig?
    I can remember a few years ago hearing a story about one of the Gloucester soul dealers buying a 45 in usa for something like $40 in a record shop, and selling it for £23,000.

My best would be finding Family Four "Rap Attack" Tyson 12" for a quid in a chazza. I didnt know it was a Holy Grail until my mate told me months later. Sold it for £800 so i was a happy bunny.

Ask Mr Divine about his David Bowie / Davy Jones 45

For me it was probably Bread, Love and Dreams - Amaryllis which I found for a quid - I didn't sell it but traded it for several hundred pounds worth of records.
    "..hole...road...middle thereof"

Comment

I bought a private press folk record for £2 at a boot sale and sold it for £280. I cant remember the name of it though.
      also bought the dog that bit people album for a penny and sold that for loads. nut this was all over 5 years ago. I haven't found anything that good for a while
      instagram.com/vinylhoard

Comment

Ask Mr Divine about his David Bowie / Davy Jones 45
        Would love to hear the story Mr Divine if you would like to share it please?
        It seems more common in our field of digging (uk) to find stuff woprth 150 and less. I can remeber back in the day northern soul dealers selling one record and buying a car with the profit or putting a mortgage on a house. It was obviously stuff they copped cheap in the usa though.

Comment

Myself and Fuz visited a record dealer in Peebles once and he showed us a trio of LPs by Johanna Martzy which magically transformed into his new van
          "..hole...road...middle thereof"

Comment

please please me stereo black and gold for a quid got me a car about a year ago, a mercedes ! only a second hand A class mind you

Comment

Originally posted by LDJB View Post
              Myself and Fuz visited a record dealer in Peebles once and he showed us a trio of LPs by Johanna Martzy which magically transformed into his new van
              Now that's magic!

About ten years ago, my car was getting serviced so was reduced to using public transport. While waiting for the bus, couldn't resist popping into a charity shop across the road which had a wee pile of singles not in sleeves. I found Davie Jones & the King Bees "Liza Jane" (Vocalion demo) a bit scuffed up - can't actually remember how much it cost now. I think it was 10p, but I sandwiched it between two others so technically 30p. Possibly 20p each. Wasn't entirely sure what I'd bought, I knew it wasn't the Monkees guy, and had an idea it was an early Bowie-related thing. Sold on eBay for £1570, so not a bad percentage mark-up...
              Club stuff: www.facebook.com/DivineGlasgow

Mixes: https://www.mixcloud.com/andrewdivine/

Photos: www.instagram.com/divine_glasgow/

Comment

I found an unknown, private press Barbadian disco funk 45 in Streatham several years ago must have been 50p or £1... decided to punt it on and managed to sell it to a Japanese producer for £600 last month - going to be hard to top that.

Comment

Great stories. Keep ' em coming. Wish I had one to add.
                  "White paper inner sleeve is pristine ..."

Comment

Great stuff! Loving the stories about diggers finding digs and selling them to buy cars... :-) I didnt realize that could be acheived with uk digging thesedays.
                    Sometimes i think its karma related. The people who find them deserve to find them.

Comment

Originally posted by reza View Post
                      please please me stereo black and gold for a quid got me a car about a year ago, a mercedes ! only a second hand A class mind you
                      Would love to hear the story. Did you post it on here? and could you add a link if yes please.
                      And if you dont mind me asking, how much did you pay for the car?! :-)

Comment

Originally posted by The Divine One View Post
                        Now that's magic!

About ten years ago, my car was getting serviced so was reduced to using public transport. While waiting for the bus, couldn't resist popping into a charity shop across the road which had a wee pile of singles not in sleeves. I found Davie Jones & the King Bees "Liza Jane" (Vocalion demo) a bit scuffed up - can't actually remember how much it cost now. I think it was 10p, but I sandwiched it between two others so technically 30p. Possibly 20p each. Wasn't entirely sure what I'd bought, I knew it wasn't the Monkees guy, and had an idea it was an early Bowie-related thing. Sold on eBay for £1570, so not a bad percentage mark-up...
                        Great stuff! Cheers for posting.
                        I note you sandwiched it between 2 records. Isn,t this known as the ancient digging art of "buffering" ?
                        The last time i done that was off a flippers stall at a bootie. Said record was the Lyn Christopher lp, poss beween a Glen Miller lp and some other dross. He looked at me quizzingly for what seemed liked ages... and then said £3 the lot :-)

Comment

Back in 2009, out in the semi deserted hinterlands where London becomes Essex, in an anonymous suburban parade of shops, I stumbled upon a classical LP in a charity shop.

To many, at first glance, it might have looked like a dodgy souvenir holiday record from Spain. I must admit I didn't know exactly what it was, but I knew a lot of classical records on the Decca label where highly regarded in some quarters. A pound was paid and into my bag it was stuffed.

Back home a little research suggested I might get a £100 or so for it.

What I didn't account for was the emergence of a new breed of Chinese super collectors, flush with cash from their booming economy and eager to acquire English status symbols like leatherbound first editions, vintage wines and...classical records. A vicious bidding war ensued, with two heavyweights going head to head. Here's how it turned out...

http://www.popsike.com/DECCA-SXL-202...400156984.html

Comment

Amazing! Well done! Cheers for sharing the story :-)

Comment

I did post the find on here , sadly dont have those pics anymore , it looked like someone had used a metal scourer on it and the cover was ripped, but it still played so didnt get the money that some go for
                              Here it was

http://www.popsike.com/The-Beatles-P...622434113.html

Comment

Working...
                              X