Combined record player, that isnt rubbish

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Combined record player, that isnt rubbish

a friend is heavily into vinyl, but has been playing it on one of them suitcase record players.
    she has asked for ideas for upgrading her player. though she doesn't want mixers and amps taking up all the space, and also doesn't want to spend loads as she is a student.

any recommendations?
    instagram.com/vinylhoard

I was trying to think of a self-contained record player that's an upgrade on a suitcase style player. I can't, but maybe that's more a reflection of my ignorance of what's now on the market now that we're in the full throes of a "vinyl revival". It could be that she needs to go down the route of turntable + amp + speakers for it to be a noticeable improvement.
    ...if in doubt consult your dealer.

Comment

Ye olde vestax handytrax can be had for 100 with a bit of patience and sounds fine if you get some external speakers. would make me nervous if she intended to play any raers though.
      All the Wolpertingers

Comment

yeah. ive ben trying to think. I cant find anything brilliant. I think a good amp, deck, speaker is really needed.
        instagram.com/vinylhoard

Comment

The Ion portable with built in speaker has been discontinued. Such a shame that the replacements are so bad
          sigpicRock on Penderyn

Comment

Leak Stereo 30 is a small amp and has the vintage aesthetics if that's her thing.

They are also criminally underrated so you can easily get one for under £50. And they sound great. It was my second amp until I had to decommission the second stereo
            ...if in doubt consult your dealer.

Comment

I'm not sure there's anything decent that fits the bill. I was looking for the same thing for my son but in the end I bought a deck (JVC) / amp (Rotel) /speaker (B&W) from eBay which cost about £85 including the three lots of mailing costs. Oh, plus £25 for a new stylus. I suppose they're all at least 25 years old but the amp and speakers were top of the line components back in their day and sound great. Deck's pretty good: semi-automatic and built like a tank.

Comment

What about:
                a small class T-amp
                a small RIAA pre-amp
                used turntable
                bookshelf speakers
                All should be able to find cheap. The two amps shouldnt take up too much space. And it would produce a lot better sound than any portable setup.
                ------------------------------------------------------
                "This is Modpowerpopsouljunkierock´n´roll so stop post shit like Jethro Tull, Pink Floyd, Grace Jones , Led Zeppelin and some other boring blues stuff, that kind of music don´t belong in this group, if I´ll ever see shit like that posted in this group again that person will be banned from this group forever!!!!"

Comment

If space is limited and similicity of installation is needed, I'd go for a refurbed Bush or Hacker player. Whilst still 'suitcase' , these usually had a Garrard deck with decent arm with anti skae and counter weight, and a good push pull amp with decent output. They can even be made stereo by connecting a second amplified speaker!

These will blow any comparabale plastic chinese crap made today out of the water sonically and will be kinder to the records.

For stereo you can also find stuff like this fairly cheaply, which is almost the same 'guts' as the above but with separate speakers whcih just plug in, and which can be upgraded.
                  "THIS IS A FINE TAPE AND BRINGS BACK MEMORIES OF YESTERYEAR WHEN THE MUSIC WORLD WAS GOOD AND NOT FOULED UP BY THE LONG HAIR SCURVES WHO JUST BEAT WILDLY ON ANYTHING AND COME UP WITH A LOT OF STUPID NOISE THat only damnfools and liars say they like it"

Comment

I've been unable to use the hifi since April!!!! Don't ask why. It's all dismantled in the hallway. I've been using one of the Hackers (a Grenadier) in the front room, and it belts it out plenty loud enough. It's valve too. Once it's cranked up and the lid goes down........BOOM! Beautiful sound. Cost me £20 and needed a couple of capacitors to get it going. Luckily I knew someone who could diagnose and repair it. If you are looking at one of these as a possibility (maybe a Gondolier or a Cavalier) you'll have to stump up a fair bit more than that for a ready to go, serviced one.
                    I spoke to a chap that restores these sort of things and he reckoned the Hackers were only topped by one other suitcase style record player, made by Emerson. I don't know if it was the Hi Fidelity model, or the sleeker polka dot one, but he swore by them.
                    I'd avoid the Dansettes, trendy as they are.
                    Everyone tear down your own little wall
                    That keeps you from being a part of it all
                    Because you've got to be one with the one and all
                    You've just got to be close to it all

Comment

Working...
                    X