Cover Versions from the Dark Side - Help Required

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cover Versions from the Dark Side - Help Required

Just realised how much I really like cover versions of very familiar songs that turn normally light easy songs into something...well...a little spooky, dark and atmospheric.

My collection is very very limited...I wonder if any VV'ers out there could point me in the direction of other tracks that have this effect? Or simply tracks which spring to mind which explore this kind of mood?

Rahsaan Roland Kirk - Ain't No Sunshine....genuinely menacing and prowly... a real stalker anthem....heebie-jeebies heaven.

Klaus Wunderlich - Summertime...not as dark, but definitely not summery!

Lenny Dee - Little Green Apples.....slow, atmospheric..a million miles from Dean Martin's version

This'll probably be a thin thread but anything would be appreciated.
    <<Soul Strut 100>>Collectable CDs 1 Forumusic: April 2014 Collectable CDs 2<<'95 WOF>>

Curfew - Summertime - Pretty sombre psych/fuzz version where the singer sounds like he has gargled a cheese grater! noice. From the 'let there be dark and there was' lp.
    www.thesoundlibrary.net <- Changed URL

Comment

Flies version of 'Stepping Stone' is damned menacing

and The Road's cover of 'She's Not There'
      new SPOKE release: >>> SEE HERE <<< RKM LIBRARY BEATS

Comment

Sound of Feeling's cover of Hurdy Gurdy Man is just plain wrong
        Muddy Waters' version of 'Let's Spend the Night Together'
        We know when a mate buys it for you too.

Comment

Might not really be appropriate.... but Callipe's (sp?) version of 'California Dreaming' on Buddah might be up your street.
          Matt Hero

Comment

Rotary Connection 'Respect' (Cadet Concept) - moody as..
            Let him have the lot for £2.00 - we were only going to throw 'em out anyway...

Comment

Is it offbeam to suggest Rotary Connection's version of Respect or Sunshine Of Your Love?

and the Satisfaction version on "vampyros Lesbos" from the "funky stones" thread might fit too.
              alanmck
              Jazz Moderator
              Last edited by alanmck; 29-03-2005, 11:25 AM.

Comment

Another thread has reminded me about Barbara Streisand's version of Grandma's Hands, which might meet your criteria.
                Admittedly this is a song about death, so you could say that the original is a bit spooky too, but I can't remember Bill Withers banshee wailing into an echo chamber.

That's two to Bill then. Actually Tom Jones' Ain't No Sunshine is a bit spooky too ... I used to think that Michael Jackson's version was a bit sinister given the subject matter and his age at the time... but ... over to you, Col Wolfe
                dr kraken
                Animated Egg
                Last edited by dr kraken; 29-03-2005, 04:11 PM.
                It ain&#39;t shakey

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Townsend
                  Klaus Wunderlich - Summertime...not as dark, but definitely not summery!
                  Walter Bishop Jr's version on Black Jazz is a broody little number.

Comment

Easter Homework for me

Originally posted by dr kraken
                    Another thread has reminded me about Barbara Streisand's version of Grandma's .

Cool. Love Gil-Scott Heron's version of this song anyway....any clue as to which Barbara LP it's on?
                    Bet it'll sit lovely back to back with R.R Kirk's 'Aint No Sunshine'.

Just remembered earlier how haunting and ethereal Marvin Gaye's version of 'Shadow of Your Smile' is from the oft-derided 'Romantically Yours' LP...(his last I think?)

Thanx Dr. K and everyone so far...feel a late-nite comp coming on.... school Easter holidays...not back at work til....oh....god knows when....gotta keep busy.
                    <<Soul Strut 100>>Collectable CDs 1 Forumusic: April 2014 Collectable CDs 2<<'95 WOF>>

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Townsend
                      Cool. Love Gil-Scott Heron's version of this song anyway....any clue as to which Barbara LP it's on?
                      Aye it's on Butterfly, currently being discussed on
                      this thread
                      It ain&#39;t shakey

Comment

Gladys Knight and the Pips' version of 'The Look of Love' is definitely darker and more despairing than most other versions. It's my favourite cover of this song, along with Bill Plummer's excursion into nerve jangling Bacharach/sitar madness.
                        Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!

Comment

Working...
                        X