Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

CSC 2016: St Jude, Lurker and I fail to reach Great Yarmouth...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CSC 2016: St Jude, Lurker and I fail to reach Great Yarmouth...

...or Hemsby or Gorleston or any of the other Norfolk coastal towns we'd pencilled into our original game plan for Saturday 10th September 2016.

No Homeric Odyssey this year then...
    - less sprawling Dickensian plot or characters; more Janet and f*cking John go out.
    - less minor architectural wonder; more prosaic street Google street views.
    - less five day test, more one day international (rain stopped play).
    - less John Holmes, more Ron Jeremy.

But less was MORE. On to the day....

8am: New house, off-road, overcast day and with no balloons for a marker it was a case of make do and mend.

Or Herr-do and Mend?
    I've never really examined this sleeve closely before and it really is very, very odd. Few locals walk this way on a Saturday morning so there wasn't any post-CSC ''What the fuck was that on your gatepost?' interrogations to endure.

8.15am: A pre-CSC 'Full English' planned to save precious digging time and just enough reclaimed placemats for three of us. Marvellous.

iPad TUNED IN for Alanmcks 'Duvet Rustling Jazz' at 8am on back2backfm.net.
    Wholly embarrassed to admit that once the strangely contorted St Jude and his sidekick Lurker arrived we were so busy talkin' we completely missed Al's dedication and spinning of Harry Roche's Spiral to get us in the mood....(Sorry Alan!) Alan has a DAMN FINE sexy radio voice tho'....TUNE IN and check him out!

8.20am: Fuckers arrived early again. Here's St Jude about to tuck in, whilst tucking his head out.

Strangely conscious of what the French call a 'double montero', he spent the whole day either sticking his neck out or sinking his head into his coat every time the camera appeared. Here’s St Jude concealing what the Spanish call 'grosero'.

And this is Wilfred from the Bash Street Kids concealing what Catalans call 'papada'

8.45am: Wife belatedly dragged herself from bed and for an hour conversation centred on age-related discomfort, illness and pain, triggered by St Jude's revelation he had chosen a nasty bout of sciatica as his CSC assistant. (Note legs wrapped around the dog beneath the table)

Throughout the day he resembles a Don Martin cartoon.

St Jude’s maudlin revelation:
    'My sciatica pills look like the ones I give my cat for her kidneys and I think I took them by mistake last week' prompts even less sympathy than we hadn't managed to muster earlier.

Breakfast is over but oh Jesus!
    St Jude's increasingly poor, sciatica-fuelled lack of co-ordination trashes his placemat and it is the one good one we were trying to keep clean for the Suffolk pagan and his sleeveless copy. ( So sorry Col!)

Breakfast over and St Jude's general pallor and twisted form reminds me to take my daily regime. I still smile every time I realise I'm old enough to take Sanatogen 50+ multi-vitamins. The Cod Liver oil, and Glaucosamine Sulphate and Chondritin Sulphate combo are for ligaments and bones an' things because I walk about five miles every day.

While we're on 'health / ageing diggers / infirmity' (this forum is over fifteen years old now) a short, painful bout of Plantar Fascitis four years ago gave me a timely 'foots-up' to take be more care of my legs, joints and general health so OUT went crap trainers, flip flops and plimsolls for dog-walking and in came these stout Berghaus walking boots. (I'd highly recommend them if your loving better pleads for a dog but doesn't understand they like regular exercise).

TO THE DIG-MOBILE BATMAN! (and Robin and Davros)
    We had intended North Walsham > Great Yarmouth > Gorleston but two minutes from North Walsham, Lurker spies an Antique Centre. Woo Hoo. He failed an audition for a bit part in 'Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels' many years ago but felt this location was good to get his Vinny Jones impression on.

Re-living our Parkour youth, Lurker and I nimbly skip up the steps, bounce off the doorway and somersault inside.
    St Jude briefly masters 'upright' for a snap before shambling up the wheelchair access slope like a Goth at the Whitby 'Zombie Walk' parade.

The owner is a fucking misery, won't allow photographs and his records are shit. It's a good browse though and with rictus grin I buy a disappointingly crap Vic Lewis LP anyway and we leave to park in the North Walsham library car park.
    - Interesting fact: Mural art originated on the wall of North Walsham library.

And on to the first charity shop. Woo Hoo.

<<Soul Strut 100>>Collectable CDs 1 Forumusic: April 2014 Collectable CDs 2<<'95 WOF>>

Lurker goes straight downstairs and gets down to the serious business of the day.

St Jude's head goes straight into his jacket as he chortles at rude-sounding 45s.

We check out a few more charities, bait St Jude with what Germans would call Doppelkinn -related sleeves, but it's all very poor. I buy a few CDs including a 'Virtual Healing" one for St Jude, but in reality it's thin picking.

We started this grey, rainy September Saturday in the compact town of North Walsham with one particular destination in mind though, and passed this church on the way to it.

Even though we're bang on time for this ‘dead man's tour’...we skip it...opting to pap him and leg it instead.

Does this architecture look familiar?

St Jude and I were here in bright sunshine slurping ice-creams four years ago but we're back for a good reason.

CSC 2012: St Jude and I rinse North Norfolk
    http://www.verygoodplus.co.uk/showth...=north+Norfolk

The Sue Ryder shop you can see in post #3 of that link has a new neighbour....

Stepping smartly to the right. Here's Black Records that opened here in 2013.

It's a great little retro memorabilia kinda shop downstairs with all sorts of cool stuff.

The back wall in the right of this photo is interesting...

Yup! There are records, but we're not here for this selection downstairs.

Up the stairs past Kylie and a Dalek...

....ignoring this generously ‘grosero’d alien...

[/URL]
    <<Soul Strut 100>>Collectable CDs 1 Forumusic: April 2014 Collectable CDs 2<<'95 WOF>>

Comment

Camera-shaking with excitement, we survey the scene...

It's magic!

It's a very cool, very 'VG+ - friendly' spot with a fantastic mixture of cheap records.
      Lurker and the Sciatica Kid waste no time getting stuck in.

And so does the Sciatica Kid.

In addition to racks there's boxes, shelves ....and interesting stuff tucked everywhere.

St Jude’s Doppelkinn - concealment skills are moving up a level.

From here on in it’s not a difficult decision. With plenty of LPs, 45s and a cool owner who shrugs and says stuff is £3 (or less if you buy loads), we scrap the Great Yarmouth / Gorleston plan and settle down to four hours of old school, 'we're not bloody leaving here until we've checked every pile' style-digging. This goes straight in St Jude's pile...

I chance on this but unfortunately the vinyl is scratched to buggery. (Lurker spins it on his Fisher price anyway…)

Just as I'm photographing Millie, St Jude finds three LP covers to conceal what the Danish call a ‘dobbelthage’ and calls out: 'I think you'll be wanting this Ian!'

Fantastic!!! Four and a half years after admiring her on the wall at Second Scene and photographing her for Forumusic, she's now warm and safe on the Expedit in Salhouse.

http://www.forumusic.co.uk/index_february_2011.html

Lurker busies himself with a pile of reggae on the Fisher Price.

St Jude's contortions to conceal what Bosnians call a 'dupla brada' continue and it appears to be contagious.

After scoring a cool bunch of singles wrapped in Tesco bags…

… I wander downstairs and the owner Carl shows me some fun stuff like this tiny record

...and this neat portable ...

...which he demonstrates.

Comment

St Jude & Lurker join me downstairs...

It's 3pm, St Jude has been a TROOPER all day, but sciatic is winning so we pay up and depart with our spoils...

We stop for sweets and have a chat with the owner of an old sweet shop. Everything is priced in decimal but she converts to 'old money' when paying in to the cash register(!)

We head for home but stop off at Wroxham for a quick shifty at the charities there. Anyone who has ever been to Wroxham will recognise this name….

I could have photographed hundreds more signs bearing the R*ys legend. Lurker and I leave St Jude in the car with a little food and water and a revolver in case things turn worse. He’s done with walking now. We head for the charities but there’s nowt to find.

We return to St Jude, half soaked. I’d left his window down and taken the car keys. Mention of chips cheers him up, and we’re spoilt for choice.

We opt for the one that doesn’t declare itself to be ‘the locals favourite’, because there are more locals in there, and St Jude rightly questions the provenance / authority of the declaration. He’s livening up though still struggling to be comfortable. .

Home! With chips!

Comment

And here are the records and CDs we copped.

You’ll all be very relieved to know that after a tough, tough day St Jude concentrated hard to get inside his own DNA to heal himself.

Thanks for reading.

Comment

Comment

A fun read (as always!) and a great shop at the heart of it! What about the records though? Any stand-outs?

That dolls pic is still freaking me out in a good way.........
              "Ridicule is nothing to be scared of"

www.myspace.com/illustratedlondonnoise*********illustratedlondonnoise.blogspot.com

Comment

Great photos, great write-up and looks like a great pile of records. Top work, fellas!

b/w

Get well soon, Hayden.
                Club stuff: www.facebook.com/DivineGlasgow

Mixes: https://www.mixcloud.com/andrewdivine/

Photos: www.instagram.com/divine_glasgow/

Comment

That Robot track sounds great:

https://youtu.be/WEXZc3MWaP0
                  "Ridicule is nothing to be scared of"

www.myspace.com/illustratedlondonnoise*********illustratedlondonnoise.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by pitch View Post
                    A fun read (as always!) and a great shop at the heart of it! What about the records though? Any stand-outs?

That dolls pic is still freaking me out in a good way.........
                    Quite right! Will return with record write-ups later in the week and a few purchases I forgot to photograph. (We had the advantage of Lurker's Fisher Price so could spin everything - cuts down on returning home with crap!

Comment

Great story.Great photos. Great finds. Enjoyed it.
                      Thanks for taking the time to post. Cheers

Comment

Brilliant exactly why I come to this forum. Thanks for taking the time to share Ian looks like a top day was had by all.
                        Mixes, Music: https://www.mixcloud.com/amitron_7/

Music: https://blackmoofou.bandcamp.com/

Videos: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCL1...bw92ZSjvLMZKlQ

Latest Infant Project: https://soundcloud.com/bcmf

Comment

If you were just doing North Walsham you should've popped into Ian Clark's!
                          new SPOKE release: >>> SEE HERE <<< RKM LIBRARY BEATS

Comment

Originally posted by The Divine One View Post
                            Great photos, great write-up and looks like a great pile of records. Top work, fellas!

b/w

Get well soon, Hayden.

Thanks Andrew

I've since had a steroid injection in my back which has lessened the pain somewhat

Mind you I'm not sure which hurt more that day, my sciatica or Ian pulling out the Tamlas and Rifkin 45's for a couple of quid each!
                            it's OK to head out for wonderful, but on your way to wonderful, you're gonna have to pass through all right. When you get to all right,
                            take a good look around and get used to it, because that may be as far as you're gonna go.

Comment

that record shop looks ace. and theres a bolt thrower record in it, something that im always looking for but never find
                              instagram.com/vinylhoard

Comment

Working...
                              X