Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Your opinion please: Does anyone here use Groovewasher?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your opinion please: Does anyone here use Groovewasher?

Folks

I listen to that podcast where the guy advertises it every week, and I want to believe that it could clean up my rekkids better than the potions I make up, but frankly, I'm very skeptical.

Does anyone actually use it?

Come on. Spill your beans NOW!
    "White paper inner sleeve is pristine ..."

Well it says it's milled from a single piece of American Black Walnut but who gives a toss. If it was made from a single piece of recycled plastic, and it worked, that would be fine. This looks like nonsense on a stick. I use Disco anti-stat, just for the groovy name really. I can't afford a machine so it's the next best option for me. I think if I'm spinning my records in the liquid, and the grime is falling to the bottom of the container, it's fairly low impact. There are those who will say the solution is killing my records but if it is it's, at least, making them sound better before they die- and it does get a lot of dirt out if they're dirty. I've been using it for years and none of my records have disintegrated in their sleeves...yet. Also it's easy to make the solution up yourself. Where would all the grime go with this thing? Presumably onto the pad that you're rubbing all around your record.
    "You don't want to kill the cash donkey"

Comment

Originally posted by Shere Khan View Post
      Well it says it's milled from a single piece of American Black Walnut but who gives a toss. If it was made from a single piece of recycled plastic, and it worked, that would be fine. This looks like nonsense on a stick. I use Disco anti-stat, just for the groovy name really. I can't afford a machine so it's the next best option for me. I think if I'm spinning my records in the liquid, and the grime is falling to the bottom of the container, it's fairly low impact. There are those who will say the solution is killing my records but if it is it's, at least, making them sound better before they die- and it does get a lot of dirt out if they're dirty. I've been using it for years and none of my records have disintegrated in their sleeves...yet. Also it's easy to make the solution up yourself. Where would all the grime go with this thing? Presumably onto the pad that you're rubbing all around your record.
      As above if you want a cheap entry level then the Disco anti-stat is a great starting point. It's is true some liquids are better than others but often not by as much as people say they are. The issue with manual cleaning as such is that you have to rub all the dirt first all over the record and then off it and onto the cloth , floor or leave in the brush thing ready to be applied to the next record. The packaging is nice right.
      Give a man a tree, He'll take a forest!

Comment

I use this organic solution called L'Art Du Son with a vpi. I heard alcoholic fluids bond to the vinyl at a molecular level, which i take people's word for and was enough for me to not touch the vpi fluid I got with my machine. Been using it for 10 years or so, brings em up a treat. I also use Lyra SPT Stylus cleaner

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Vinyl-Recor.../dp/B007B1BLBI
        http://www.analogueseduction.net/sty...treatment.html

Comment

Originally posted by proteus View Post
          I use this organic solution called L'Art Du Son with a vpi. I heard alcoholic fluids bond to the vinyl at a molecular level, which i take people's word for and was enough for me to not touch the vpi fluid I got with my machine. Been using it for 10 years or so, brings em up a treat. I also use Lyra SPT Stylus cleaner
          Yes thats what I use , works well with a Disco Anti Stat too, doesn't leave any residue like their supplied fluid, I did find it hard to find pure distilled water though to mix it down , whatever dont use deionised water that you can buy anywhere

Comment

Interesting. No Groovewasher users yet. I don't think the Vinyl Guide guy is lying, but I would like to get some objective opinions from someone who isn't benefiting from advertising their product.

I haven't heard of the other stuff mentioned here, but I'll check those out.

Until now I've been using a isopropyl alcohol/distilled water/washing-up liquid mix for really dirty records but that leaves a residue. For normal cleaning, I use the isopropyl on a very soft tissue. Is that isopropyl going to damage my records?

Thanks for the info, all.

Comment

Not unless they are 78's IPA reacts with shellac. There are a million views on this subject I've never found overall agreement on cleaning methods other than a dedicated record cleaner that will loosen the dirt and suck it out is the only way to truly clean a record properly. People say wet playing destroys records, only use 25% IPA all sorts. I wont go into my cleaning method but it involves IPA sometimes multiple times and its never damaged a record.

Your residue will be from whatever washing up liquid you are using because pure 99.9% IPA just evaporates. I remember shops used to use Windolene or window cleaner which is mainly vinegar and other chemicals (or so I heard...) it leaves a shine but is no good for cleaning a record. I recently went into a shop and he'd put all his more expensive records in a rack and had reduced some prices. However when I pulled some out quite a few had a chalky residue on them that wasn't there previously. Probably explains why that 'Tim Buckley' record was so cheap!

Originally posted by Turboellis View Post
              Interesting. No Groovewasher users yet. I don't think the Vinyl Guide guy is lying, but I would like to get some objective opinions from someone who isn't benefiting from advertising their product.

I haven't heard of the other stuff mentioned here, but I'll check those out.

Until now I've been using a isopropyl alcohol/distilled water/washing-up liquid mix for really dirty records but that leaves a residue. For normal cleaning, I use the isopropyl on a very soft tissue. Is that isopropyl going to damage my records?

Thanks for the info, all.
              Last edited by amidar; 27-09-2016, 12:40 AM. Reason: Windolene
              Mixes, Music: https://www.mixcloud.com/amitron_7/

Music: https://blackmoofou.bandcamp.com/

Videos: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCL1...bw92ZSjvLMZKlQ

Latest Infant Project: https://soundcloud.com/bcmf

Comment

Thanks amidar, there's so much bullshit on this subject.

I would still like to hear an opinion of someone who has used this Groovewasher product. Maybe I'll have to go somewhere else for that.

And yes, I love my Tim Buckley chalky ... ;-)

Originally posted by amidar View Post
                Not unless they are 78's IPA reacts with shellac. There are a million views on this subject I've never found overall agreement on cleaning methods other than a dedicated record cleaner that will loosen the dirt and suck it out is the only way to truly clean a record properly. People say wet playing destroys records, only use 25% IPA all sorts. I wont go into my cleaning method but it involves IPA sometimes multiple times and its never damaged a record.

Your residue will be from whatever washing up liquid you are using because pure 99.9% IPA just evaporates. I remember shops used to use Windolene or window cleaner which is mainly vinegar and other chemicals (or so I heard...) it leaves a shine but is no good for cleaning a record. I recently went into a shop and he'd put all his more expensive records in a rack and had reduced some prices. However when I pulled some out quite a few had a chalky residue on them that wasn't there previously. Probably explains why that 'Tim Buckley' record was so cheap!

Comment

Thanks amidar, there's so much bullshit on this subject.

I would still like to hear an opinion of someone who has used this Groovewasher product. Maybe I'll have to go somewhere else for that.

And yes, I love my Tim Buckley chalky ... ;-)
                  The advice above is sound though. Usually the best cleaning methods are generally ones where the dirt is loosened and sucked up using a vacuum of some sort. You can read more about this on the library of congress website I believe which has one of the biggest collections in the world.
                  Give a man a tree, He'll take a forest!

Comment

That I would definitely like to read. Do you have a link?

Originally posted by eclipsechaser View Post
                    The advice above is sound though. Usually the best cleaning methods are generally ones where the dirt is loosened and sucked up using a vacuum of some sort. You can read more about this on the library of congress website I believe which has one of the biggest collections in the world.

Comment

Maybe this one?

https://www.loc.gov/preservation/care/record.html

That I would definitely like to read. Do you have a link?

Comment

Working...
                      X