isle of harris-western isles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• isle of harris-western isles

just had to send a cd to the isle of harris in the western isles..just looked on google seems quite desolate..wonder if there any vinyl out there!! let alone a shop,just north of skye btw..also his name was philip!! which is ironic for people who know my name
    ------~o00o-----//{ ´°`(_)´°` }\\-----o00o~------

I used to live in Lewis (just down from Harris) and there were two sources of records at the time. Woolies for your top twenty needs and an electrical shop with a half decent rack of Mojo stuff in amongst the chuff but they had a catalogue you could order in records from and they would try and get you most things. Got stuff like the Stooges and the Velvets from it.

Also at the time there was quite a good live 'scene'. I knew some of the people involved with this: https://www.discogs.com/Various-Sad-...elease/2264956
    "..hole...road...middle thereof"

Comment

Originally posted by LDJB View Post
      I used to live in Lewis (just down from Harris)
      Just up from Harris! Wonder if that shop is still there.

Records are seriously thin on the ground throughout the area unsurprisingly, although I did once find a couple of Eno 'Ambients' in a junk shop on Skye. And a mate once scored a great Blue Note haul too.
      There must still be a few stragglers from the hippy commune days with some choice bits stashed away, bound to turn up one day. At least that's what I keep telling myself.

I'm sure Fuz is bound to have found something on his travels too

Comment

Oh yes. Fuz has SCORED proper good records in the Hebrides!

Yeah - I meant up
        "..hole...road...middle thereof"

Comment

I've never actually made it out to the Outer Hebrides... So can't comment on them! I'd love to go though... One day.

Definitely picked up a few good records on Skye, Mull & Arran over the years but aside from some charity shops in Portree, Broadford, Tobermory, Craignure & Brodick there's no "shop" that I know of on the islands.

Record are thin on the ground in the region as Mr Magorty says... Most of the ones that you find are Presbyterian Xian or bagpipes and fiddles. Guess there must be music lovers out there though, and yes there is a element of aged hippies being out there, but wether they have any vinyl is another question.

Go for the whisky, incredible scenery and the wifi free isolation, if you find any records that's a bonus... But it does happen.
          I found a modest haul of funk 45's on Mull once, and a few decent jazz records on Skye over the years...
          In ((( VISUAL ))) Stereo

Eclectic Mud

Comment

I went in 2013
            lovely place. no records. would love to go back.

Isle of man on the other hand, has a massive charity barn with piles of them.
            instagram.com/vinylhoard

Comment

There must be records on the islands. I have a vague memory of waking up near a geep on Islay and stumbling into a farmhouse and noticing a pile of records, but it was a while ago now. I've never made it to Arran, but i've always suspected that it's full of jazz.

Comment

Originally posted by Whisky Stephen View Post
                There must be records on the islands. I have a vague memory of waking up near a geep on Islay and stumbling into a farmhouse and noticing a pile of records, but it was a while ago now. I've never made it to Arran, but i've always suspected that it's full of jazz.
                The jazz on Arran was lying very low when I visited two years ago. There were a couple of charity shops in Brodick with nothing of interest.

I did find the rock that looks like a big dog, though. My dad posed exactly like this when I was 3.

Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Whisky Stephen View Post
                  Funnily enough, I found Kind of Blue and Sorry Rollins volume 2 there once, as well as a Fela Kuti!

Was surprised to find this in Shetland of all places -

There was a record shop with a fair bit of 2nd hand stuff on Orkney when I was last there a couple of years back. Nowt decent though.

Comment

Originally posted by LDJB View Post
                    Also at the time there was quite a good live 'scene'. I knew some of the people involved with this: https://www.discogs.com/Various-Sad-...elease/2264956
                    Short documentary about this release listed on the Discogs page.

G
                    Elephant and dwarf they call them, Pepe Kalle and his little
                    stage dancing friend Emoro.

Comment

Working...
                    X