Spontaneous warps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spontaneous warps

Does anybody else experience this phenomenon?

You play a record. It's fine. You put it away.

You get it out again. It's gone a bit wavy.

Happens more than I would like and only seems to happen to new vinyl and new old stock, like it was happy in its old home and putting it in a different environment just causes it to warp, even though it has not been exposed to unusual levels of heat or damp.
    ...if in doubt consult your dealer.

Originally posted by BlackRegent View Post

Happens more than I would like and only seems to happen to new vinyl and new old stock, like it was happy in its old home and putting it in a different environment just causes it to warp, even though it has not been exposed to unusual levels of heat or damp.
    Are they shrinkwrapped? I've known covers to expand slightly after opening and then deform in too-tight shrinkwrap which can in turn slightly warp the record inside... but its uncommon, and a fairly slow process that requires exposure to either damp or heat, so it doesn't sound like the problem you're experiencing.
    Dave Lee Roth, I Too Am Running With This Devil Of Which You Speak (sic)

Comment

Originally posted by BlackRegent View Post

^^^THIS^^^

Yes, I was worried I'd become a vinyl Uri Geller - or my office turntable had some wonky magnets - or my deck was set up on an ancient lay-line. I've stuck on an unplayed post-punk 45, flipped it over and... massive warp. Which wasn't there when I played the A-side three minutes previously. Brand new disco 12" - was flat, then huge warp (but still played). Bought an original, sold the re-issue on Discogs described as having huge warp. Played again before sending to find... the warp had calmed right down (but still had a slight one). Feels like 50% of new vinyl I buy develops a mild warp after a few plays.

That's the one good thing about 180gsm vinyl - maybe vinyl needs to be this thick to fight the inner struggle to break free! Was looking at a 1971 Tamla album by Stevie Wonder at the carbon sale yesterday and it was like a flexi-disc - couldn't even support its own weight. Was still flat, mind!
      Club stuff: www.facebook.com/DivineGlasgow

Mixes: https://www.mixcloud.com/andrewdivine/

Photos: www.instagram.com/divine_glasgow/

Comment

Its infrequent enough to make you wonder.
        Latest manifestation in my collection was a vinyl from 92 and not in shrink. Maybe it because it was a weird etched disc, but even still that doesn't make much sense.
        Enthusiastic vagueness passes for scholarship in the twilight world of the disc-jockey.

John Peel

Comment

It happened to me with a 45, in a box with other 45s and the only one to warp. Unfortunately it was Flower Power - Mt Olympus, so I wasn't happy.

Comment

I'm scared.
            All the Wolpertingers

Comment

Yeah. This is haunting me. I don't like this idea.
              Spirit Duplicator—collectable, charming, affordable... and also socially networked on FB / Twitter / Instagram.

Comment

Happy nightmares folks!
                Everyone tear down your own little wall
                That keeps you from being a part of it all
                Because you've got to be one with the one and all
                You've just got to be close to it all

Comment

Working...
                X