Recent charity finds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recent charity finds

Here is a list of stuff that I've picked up recently from charity shops.
    Not many BIG finds but, plenty to make me smile...

Best of Hugo Montenegro

Happy Monsters, kiddie record of James Brown-a-like funk songs with random noises honked and squeaked all over the top of it, rather marvellous

La garza negra y de hierro by Chelique Sarabia, Venezuelan moog psyche folk... Possibly sponsored by some industrial corporation...

Two Alan Haven LP's

From Russia with love / the pink panther by Richard Lindsey Orch,
    cheesecake cover

'Dance dance dance' on Polymax, no artist but a groovy song called 'green light'

The Hifi antics of Meri Ellen & her Cohorts guest star Don Elliot

Honeymoon in Manhattan New world Orch, on alshire

The very merry macs sing very merry melodies

Accordion showcase by Jack Emblow

Hang on with The Asters, comedy ditties by the likes of Bill Oddie, Michael Bentine, Dick Emery, Larry Grayson etc

Andrew Brasseur - The fantastic organ

The sex life of the primate - Shelley Berman

Rhythm of resistance, music from black South africa 1978

Couple of power pop records that I'm liking much more than I thought I would, OXO s/t great song called 'Whirly girl' and The Kings 'are here', great whole album, but like the song 'partyitis ' the best.

Sergio Mendes 77 'in concert' Thanks whoever mentioned this in the VV forum

Strings for pleasure play best of Dylan

Ray Charles singers command performances vol II

The Black Abbots, private pressing rock covers band live in cabaret, featuring one Russ Abbot on Drums and Percussion !!!!????

Test pressing of Richard Digance record RCA TRA 277

Another record that has the feel of a test pressing by a band called 'Backdoor' record label is 'Apple corps Ltd. 3 Saville road, London, custom recording'.

Is this some lost Beatles connection? Clues anyone? Can anyone tell me ANYTHING about 'Backdoor'?, or Richard Digance for that matter... And are there other albums by The Kings worth finding?

These didn't happen in one day, or one shop or anything, but probably over the space of 10 days - 2 weeks. With a family Easter the booters were off limits for me.
    In ((( VISUAL ))) Stereo

Eclectic Mud

Originally posted by someblokecalledfuz
    Here is a list of stuff that I've picked up recently from charity shops.
    Not many BIG finds but, plenty to make me smile...

La garza negra y de hierro by Chelique Sarabia, Venezuelan moog psyche folk... Possibly sponsored by some industrial corporation...
    ooh! that sounds nice!
    We know when a mate buys it for you too.

Comment

The sex life of the primate - Shelley Berman
      This one sounds reaaally interesting...
      I once found the amazing Homosexuality In The American Male...
      "Only one thought left, that makes me come alive,
      and that is you and me side by side, on the licorice ride"

Comment

Juicy Lucy - Lie Back And Enjoy it - UK Swirl - Cancer Research - £5. Word...
        http://www.finderskeepersrecords.com

http://www.myspace.com/dougshipton
        http://www.twitter.com/dougshipton

Comment

That's a nice score for old EH!

I found a few bits in the Chazzers this weekend too

First shop produced a spare of 'Voodoo Party' (first one in a good while) and a copy of Tom Jones 'Looking Out My Window' in the same crate!
          Then a spare of 'Black Mikado', a Ray Barretto LP and one of them Jazz play along efforts in another charity. On my final stop I got Made in Sweden - 'Mad River', a Johnny Pearson LP on Rampage which I had never seen before (sadly 'tis poo - anyone want it?) and a weird Swedish Radio anniversary comp - the 'Progressive Rock' volume - rather good.
          Then out of proper shops I got Prince Far I - Cry Tuff Dub Chapter3, It's a Beautiful Day - Today and Nucleus - Solar Plexus.

Oooh and a double LP called 'The Perfumed Garden' which is a narration of the erotic masterpiece (it says) - purely for 'mix-tape' purposes you understand.....
          Last edited by LDJB; 29-03-2005, 01:24 PM.
          "..hole...road...middle thereof"

Comment

I dug out a copy of the Black Mikado a while back - what's the going rate? Top cover.
            http://www.finderskeepersrecords.com

http://www.myspace.com/dougshipton
            http://www.twitter.com/dougshipton

Comment

Another record that has the feel of a test pressing by a band called 'Backdoor' record label is 'Apple corps Ltd. 3 Saville road, London, custom recording'.

Is this some lost Beatles connection? Clues anyone? Can anyone tell me ANYTHING about 'Backdoor'.
              Hmmm, this one is interesting, check out this site :-

Apple Discography

Its pretty good, no mention of any band called backdoor ever recording for Apple, so this is either a hoax, a band that never released anything or a recording that slipped out the backdoor (HO HO!). Whatever, its unusual and it appeals to Beatle collectors who as we know have too much money. Whats it sound like ?
              Vinyl Sales are outstripping CD Sales 10000 to 1

Comment

Originally posted by LDJB
                First shop produced a spare of 'Voodoo Party' (first one in a good while) and a copy of Tom Jones 'Looking Out My Window' in the same crate!
                Funny that - I usually do a charidee mini dig once every blue moon and scored these two as well.

I also got my grubbies on the Patsy LP by Patsy Gallant featuring Te Caliente, and the Boots Randolph LP featuring a killer version of Hi Heel Sneakers. Very nice small findage and still change from a fiver for a bag o'chips and cherry coke.

Comment

Picked up loads of stuff over the weekend

Highlights include

Hair - Jason Ryder Sound (Groovy hammond grinders throughout)
                  Swinging London - London Philharmonic Orchestra (Fantastic Beaty versions of Its not unusual and Hard Days Night)
                  Jacques Dutronc EP (with a great freakbeat groover whos title ends in resturant)
                  My Mixcloud

Comment

Rhythm of resistance, music from black South africa 1978

Rhythm Of Resistance..........is this a compilation from 1978 or a later lp with music from 1978......?

The Backdoor lp sounds promising...........they were a kinda leftfield experimental jazz trio......Ron Aspery,Tony Hicks and Colin Hodgkinson.........they recorded two albums..........the first was a private pressing and it's quite rare........then this lp was reissued on WB then later on they recorded another lp for WB............
                    both the WB lps are common and not worth more than around a tenner........but the first private press is worth an awful lot more and it's proper scarce...........dunno which one you've got there though......!?

Comment

Originally posted by Kinky Chris
                      Jacques Dutronc EP (with a great freakbeat groover whos title ends in resturant)
                      'Sur Une Nappe De Restaurant'. Which means 'on the tablecloth in the restaurant' or somesuch, I believe.
                      You freeking scientologists are all the same, quible, dribble and then demand ice creams. Ohhhhhhhhhhh.

Comment

Originally posted by Rich Hero
                        'Sur Une Nappe De Restaurant'. Which means 'on the tablecloth in the restaurant' or somesuch, I believe.
                        Thats the fella ;-)
                        My Mixcloud

Comment

SEX LIFE OF PRIMATES - Shelley Berman is a pretty funny record. He also wrote a short book in a similar vein.

The Perfumed Garden. Is that the aussie lp with a nekkid lady on the front? if so, it was recorded in South Australia, me thinks. I have been trying to track down the people behind this release to get their story.

Cheers,
                          David S.
                          God bless Fatso.

Comment

Is this some lost Beatles connection? Clues anyone? Can anyone tell me ANYTHING about 'Backdoor'?,
                            There's an early 70's band called 'Back Door' - they were a jazz-rock outfit from somewhere in the North. Their records were released on Warners, though I think the first one was originally on a small local label, possibly their own. If this is the same band, it could have been recorded as a demo for publishing or something....is it an acetate?
                            We know when a mate buys it for you too.

Comment

Originally posted by LDJB
                              Then out of proper shops I got Prince Far I - Cry Tuff Dub Chapter3, It's a Beautiful Day - Today and Nucleus - Solar Plexus.
                              aaarrrgh...i've never seen the nucleus - solar plexus lp! but i've found some stuff that made me (at least a bit) feel allright. great charity shop by the way in zurich altstetten. cheap and well sorted! the great r.p.m. soundtrack, gal costa's india lp, the james last's hair lp, o lucky man o.s.t., and a great lp of a swiss musician called polo hofer, playing a strange psych-rock-dub song about george orwells 1984. it even ends up in a nice ironic "apocalypso" tropical feeling part! that made me smile again
                              Last edited by effi_deep; 29-03-2005, 01:59 PM.
                              Autobahn vas ein Monster: here she is, mit 7 others

Comment

Working...
                              X