Music Nutters. What are they like?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Music Nutters. What are they like?

I'm not really meaning to start a thread but I have been on the very kind receiving end of good info from many rekkid junkies in my home town of Osaka.

I think it may have started with a kernel of useful information from me here or there, but the information flows quite freely, so everyone benefits ...

Apparently that's not the way it's always been in these parts. But I shared fortunate information, and it came in return tenfold.

I'm still ploughing my way through a 160 album buy from last month ...

I hope there's always enough to go around and that everyone's want list is different enough ... it mostly is in my experience ...

My mates are lovely, make no mistake, but some of them are only interested in the value of a rekkid ... In that case I want to hear that rekkid, but often don't have the chance ... they are are always gentlemen ... if I want to hear something Japanese, they always tell me if I I need to hear it ... I'm very lucky ...

They're all generous folk.

So, what am I like?

When I hit a box at 6 a.m. my adrenalin has started to shoot into my brain and tell me that a boring Enka LP might be be worth a punt. OK, in the bag. It's an unknown, I must try it.

OK, so not so nice ...

As mates we exchange information freely like you lovely geezers have done to me ... London was so much more enjoyable and I thank you ... I would love to dance with you all!

My mates are not so strange ... but they're all weird, and we connect, and when we help each other we probably come out on top ... maybe Osaka is a small place ... the geezers that get up at 5 a.m. look after each other like a semblance of gentlemen ... and we go home happy most of the time ...

LUV & goodnight
    "White paper inner sleeve is pristine ..."

Originally posted by Turboellis View Post
    I'm not really meaning to start a thread but I have been on the very kind receiving end of good info from many rekkid junkies in my home town of Osaka.

I think it may have started with a kernel of useful information from me here or there, but the information flows quite freely, so everyone benefits ...

Apparently that's not the way it's always been in these parts. But I shared fortunate information, and it came in return tenfold.

I'm still ploughing my way through a 160 album buy from last month ...

I hope there's always enough to go around and that everyone's want list is different enough ... it mostly is in my experience ...

My mates are lovely, make no mistake, but some of them are only interested in the value of a rekkid ... In that case I want to hear that rekkid, but often don't have the chance ... they are are always gentlemen ... if I want to hear something Japanese, they always tell me if I I need to hear it ... I'm very lucky ...

They're all generous folk.

So, what am I like?

When I hit a box at 6 a.m. my adrenalin has started to shoot into my brain and tell me that a boring Enka LP might be be worth a punt. OK, in the bag. It's an unknown, I must try it.

OK, so not so nice ...

As mates we exchange information freely like you lovely geezers have done to me ... London was so much more enjoyable and I thank you ... I would love to dance with you all!

My mates are not so strange ... but they're all weird, and we connect, and when we help each other we probably come out on top ... maybe Osaka is a small place ... the geezers that get up at 5 a.m. look after each other like a semblance of gentlemen ... and we go home happy most of the time ...

LUV & goodnight
    I think I'm going to pour myself a whisky as soon as I get home.
    "You don't want to kill the cash donkey"

Comment

Originally posted by Shere Khan View Post
      I think I'm going to pour myself a whisky as soon as I get home.
      Me too. He mentions getting up at 5am so it'll probably be a stiff one.
      Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!

Comment

Ha ha ... it's 06:45 and I'm attempting to listen to the Pinkpanthers (interested? here it is: http://www.filedropper.com/pinkpanthers add a .flac to the end of it) ... completely out of my comfort zone ... very hardcore, quite enjoyable ... a strange experience for me ... absolutely no idea what they're singing about

sorry for the complete lack of focus in this thread ...

i think what i wanted to ask/say was that when you're digging, you have various kinds of mates and they are entertaining in various different ways ... my fellow diggers always give me loads of info about rekkids i know nothing about ... one of them appears to not even listen to what he buys but is always generous to the rest of us ...

i have no idea what my fellow diggers think about me ... ha ha, of course

when i don't know, i buy (i'm talking cheap prices, a quid or so)

the pinkpanthers record has finished ... 7 tracks in 15 minutes ... fabulous entertainment ...

it's now 7 a.m. and i shall resume my shave shit brush my teeth routine

i am definitely not the strangest person you have digged with but please tell me about your team ...

Comment

Originally posted by Turboellis View Post
          My mates are not so strange ... but they're all weird
          I feel like writing a song starting with that line.

I wouldn't think of the other nutters digging as team or mates, it's more all for none and each to his own.
          Of the three people I see the most digging I get along well with one of them. On a slow day we usually walk down the aisle chatting and can even manage to share a crate. He's not that into 45s which is a bonus for me, and our focus is not overlapping that much. I know his overspill goes to trading in for jazz at a record store, and when he's clearing out he usually reserves a pile of 45s for me to look through.
          The other two are more into running around, asking people unpacking for records, fencing off crates if there are more than one. One of them slightly more annoying as he's a bit more clueless, and we just haven't figured out what he does with the records. When he's selling it is mostly utter crap without prices on, and he's shifty, if I would show interest in something he would try to gouge ot how much it could be worth. I saw a German tourist finding a record in his box, and got the price 50. Then the German guy spouted out that he would have payed 200 in Germany, and the seller suddenly didn't want to sell anymore. I think they re-neged to 100 eventually.
          ------------------------------------------------------
          "This is Modpowerpopsouljunkierock´n´roll so stop post shit like Jethro Tull, Pink Floyd, Grace Jones , Led Zeppelin and some other boring blues stuff, that kind of music don´t belong in this group, if I´ll ever see shit like that posted in this group again that person will be banned from this group forever!!!!"

Comment

Fellow diggers?

Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!

Comment

team!
              I go on my own.
              instagram.com/vinylhoard

Comment

Originally posted by cratedigger View Post
                Of the three people I see the most digging I get along well with one of them. On a slow day we usually walk down the aisle chatting and can even manage to share a crate. He's not that into 45s which is a bonus for me, and our focus is not overlapping that much. I know his overspill goes to trading in for jazz at a record store, and when he's clearing out he usually reserves a pile of 45s for me to look through.
                Well, that's better than none.

I admit, it's a bit of a new situation for me too. There's information sharing, which is the most useful, like being told about when a shop is closing and needs to be cleared of its stock (that was 160 LPs i didn't know i needed and am still slowly listening to) to info on events which one of us might not have heard about ...

the lack of a competitor in terms of what you're looking for really helps our group stay friendly ... one guy likes heavier rock some punk (possible overlap) and ska (possible overlap), another guy doo wop and old very mainstream pop, another old folk and world music (probable overlap) and the other guy only buys stuff he'll be able to sell, which leaves huge gaping holes for me to enjoy (basically anything that looks interesting that i haven't heard)

it helps that guy no. 4's house is in a very dangerous state and can't really buy any more records until he fixes it ... haven't seen it but it sounds serious ... nevertheless he'll be at the monthly temple market tomorrow morning before i get there at about 6:30 a.m.

it's really the info sharing that makes the difference ...

Comment

Clearly, there are those of us for whom this activity is an activity to be shared. And such sharing is to be cherished.

I suspect, though, that for most of us our story is a solitary one.

Down mean streets we must go. Men who are not ourselves mean, and who are neither tarnished nor afraid. We are each of us the heroes of our own story. We must be complete men and common men and yet unusual men. We must be, to use a rather weathered phrase, men of honour—by instinct, by inevitability, without thought of it, and certainly without saying it. We must be the best men in our world and good enough men for any world.

We take no man’s money dishonestly. We are proud men. We are lonely men.

Our story is an adventure in search of a hidden truth, and it would be no adventure if we were not fit for the adventure. If there were enough like us, the world would be a very safe place to live in, without becoming too dull to be worth living in.

Or is that pitching it too high?
                  Last edited by Grim Lounge Cowboy; 20-10-2016, 12:35 PM. Reason: Apologies to Raymond Chandler

Comment

"Ooof! Amazing finds, fellow digger - I was just about to look at that crate myself"
                    Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!

Comment

So one day I borrowed a friend some money for a a little digging trip through Berlin junk shops. In one shop (his tip) I found a sleeveless library record and a few minutes later he found the matching sleeve. I didnt want to start a discussion in front of the shop owner and let my friend pay for the lot...
                      the record is still in his posession as we couldnt sort it out and havent done a tour like that since...

All the Wolpertingers

Comment

This is why its better on your own. no arguments, no awkward ness.

I went digging with a mate one, he only looked in the metal boxes, so was done in each shop after about 3 mins. so just stood there talking to me looking bored. I haven't asked anyone since
                        instagram.com/vinylhoard

Comment

Originally posted by Paul-K View Post
                          This is why its better on your own. no arguments, no awkward ness.

I went digging with a mate one, he only looked in the metal boxes, so was done in each shop after about 3 mins. so just stood there talking to me looking bored. I haven't asked anyone since
                          I used to be like this... but since a few communal digs at Northern Brillo, Tanners, Utrecht and in the US I've found that having company on a dig certainly has it's benefits... just look at Ian Townsends recent CSC... Cameraderie, laughs and shared knowledge more than make up for the occassional jealous moment... These days the chances of stumbling across a record that everybody wants are slim I reckon... we'll see though cos this weekend will see some communal digging action in Edinburgh with the gathering of the clans for Dig Everything...
                          In ((( VISUAL ))) Stereo

Eclectic Mud

Comment

Originally posted by someblokecalledfuz View Post
                            I used to be like this... but since a few communal digs at Northern Brillo, Tanners, Utrecht and in the US I've found that having company on a dig certainly has it's benefits... just look at Ian Townsends recent CSC... Cameraderie, laughs and shared knowledge more than make up for the occassional jealous moment... These days the chances of stumbling across a record that everybody wants are slim I reckon... we'll see though cos this weekend will see some communal digging action in Edinburgh with the gathering of the clans for Dig Everything...
                            There are no records in Edinburgh...it's official.
                            "..hole...road...middle thereof"

Comment

Originally posted by someblokecalledfuz View Post
                              this weekend will see some communal digging action in Edinburgh with the gathering of the clans for Dig Everything...
                              If you're mob-handed maybe you could "steam" Backbeat?

Although i doubt there's room.
                              Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X