• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone got a million quid to burn?

Oh yeah. The KLF did:

http://www.scotsman.com/lifestyle/cu...jura-1-4275820
    "..hole...road...middle thereof"

I love this art work, long may it circulate!!!
    Spirit Duplicator—collectable, charming, affordable... and also socially networked on FB / Twitter / Instagram.

Comment

Not enough allegorical levels IMO.
      Dave Lee Roth, I Too Am Running With This Devil Of Which You Speak (sic)

Comment

It's the sheer bluntness of it. It's like the ultimate student rag prank, where the response is 'you bloody, stupid idiots' mixed with a strange, begrudging respect for the foolhardy.
        Spirit Duplicator—collectable, charming, affordable... and also socially networked on FB / Twitter / Instagram.

Comment

how do you get a million in notes out of the bank?
          instagram.com/vinylhoard

Comment

I agree, getting a million quid in cash is presumably not easy. One assumes the money had been taxed, too, making it a much more expensive stunt than just £1m. I feel the gesture has been undermined by the duo's subsequent regrets and lack of articulacy as to why they did it.
            Must grade overall visually at least as Good minus!!! (graded STRICTLY to the UK RRPG standards, not overgraded AT ALL!!!)

Comment

Typical example of modern arty wank over common decency. They could have given it to a local hospital. Imagine if a tory MP had done this. Most people would be up in arms.
              Give a man a tree, He'll take a forest!

Comment

The original account of this that I remember (vaguely) implied that the money was sent to a number of journalists who were then all invited to bring it with them to Jura and act as witnesses. Not all did. Now I'm curious as to where that version of events came from.

Originally posted by eclipsechaser View Post
                Typical example of modern arty wank over common decency. They could have given it to a local hospital. Imagine if a tory MP had done this. Most people would be up in arms.
                I know. And the NHS could really use it now the High Court has ruled that Parliament must vote to trigger Article 50. Think of that 350 million it won't get every week if we don't follow Brexit through. Or the amounts owed in tax avoidance.

Sorry Phil, I presume you're making a nuanced argument considering what people are free to do with their own money, and whether the act could be inferred as artistic or political depending on who did it (or whether the politician could make an artistic statement or vice versa, or whether art can or should be distinguished from the political)? Otherwise I'll just ask why burning money that they earned themselves is not okay but us spending it on records is?
                You freeking scientologists are all the same, quible, dribble and then demand ice creams. Ohhhhhhhhhhh.

Comment

Originally posted by Rich Hero View Post
                  Think of that 350 million it won't get every week if we don't follow Brexit through.
                  Not really on topic and I'm probably to cynical by nature, but if I was the HNS I wouldn't count on receiving that money anyway ....

Comment

Good point Rich. Philanthropic gestures are usually a means of papering over the cracks that politicians chose to turn a blind eye to. And they most certainly do, which is why there are so many worthy charities in need of our money too. What's more irresponsible, burning a million quid, or committing to the next generation of nuclear submarines......or that poxy power station come to that! Money to burn? Too right
                    Everyone tear down your own little wall
                    That keeps you from being a part of it all
                    Because you've got to be one with the one and all
                    You've just got to be close to it all

Comment

His book "45" is well worth a read. I'd have to go back and check but I don't think this is quite the scam it's made out to be.

The book BTW is entertaining for the rather brilliant way Bill talks of libraries and electricity pylons. There's also a great chapter where he describes driving round the M25 for 25 hours.
                      I know your game Lionel! I can see what you really are!

Comment

Originally posted by Rich Hero View Post
                        The original account of this that I remember (vaguely) implied that the money was sent to a number of journalists who were then all invited to bring it with them to Jura and act as witnesses. Not all did. Now I'm curious as to where that version of events came from.
                        Can't remember which book i read it in, but I'm sure the £1million was originally intended to be a work of art. Literally wedges of cash nailed to a board. And they tried to sell the work of art for £500,000 and no gallery would buy it because nobody would insure them to display the piece. So, it was possibly intended to make a mockery of the art world - who wouldn't pay £500,000 to get £1,000,000??? So, after failing to sell it, they decided to burn it...
                        Club stuff: www.facebook.com/DivineGlasgow

Mixes: https://www.mixcloud.com/andrewdivine/

Photos: www.instagram.com/divine_glasgow/

Comment

Remember watching this on telly around he time - looks like it must have been an Omnibus programme. It was fatuous then and time hasn't blunted its fatuity.

Comment

I remember this when it happened. Didn't believe it then, still don't believe it now.
                            Dave Lee Roth, I Too Am Running With This Devil Of Which You Speak (sic)

Comment

Originally posted by glengowla View Post
                              I feel the gesture has been undermined by the duo's subsequent regrets and lack of articulacy as to why they did it.
                              I think that's precisely what gives the art its power. They really did it and those are real feelings of regret. Its all too easy, as this thread shows, to talk about it in the abstract. But if you actually burnt most of your sizeable wedge of money (and its irrelevant that some may have been stolen by jounros) then your human reaction has a reality and power that it would otherwise lack. A bit like those artist who injure themselves.
                              Enthusiastic vagueness passes for scholarship in the twilight world of the disc-jockey.

John Peel

Comment

Working...
                              X