Dodgy Singers gone Funky

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dodgy Singers gone Funky

When I am going through records at boot fairs/charity shops a little voice in my head begins to wonder whether their is a groovy track by any of the following artists...

Val Doonican
    Barbra Streisand
    Russ Abbot
    Des o Conner
    etc..etc..etc

So Is there?
    Last edited by Moogaloo; 31-03-2005, 12:23 PM. Reason: Not neccessarilly dodgy
    My Mixcloud

Barbra Streisand - does a cracking version of "You're So Vain" with a great drum break at the start, can't recall which album its on, but it does turn up!
    www.starlarecords.com

Comment

Originally posted by loosejoints
      Barbra Streisand - does a cracking version of "You're So Vain" with a great drum break at the start, can't recall which album its on, but it does turn up!
      + her b-boy jam "daytime hustler"

Comment

Originally posted by Funky Tee
        + her b-boy jam "daytime hustler"
        Isn't that Bette Midler ? Oh and her version of 'Breaking Up Someone Elses Home' is amazing too....
        Matt Hero

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Hero
          Isn't that Bette Midler ? Oh and her version of 'Breaking Up Someone Elses Home' is amazing too....
          sorry, you're right!

But don't forget Barbra streisand's version of "Stoney end" then.

Comment

Very recently picked a copy of Lynsey de Paul's 'Mama' which is very groovy / funky and a nice drum break too, courtesy of Terry Cox.

Comment

I've just waded through a box of records in a local charidee shop over lunch and saw a Streisand LP i'd never seen before.... Had quite an eye catching cover ( hence my interest ) all psychedelic swirls around a pic of her face.

... should I have picked it up for one of you guys...???

If you're looking for a pristine copy then this isn't the one for you. The vinyl looks like someone has polished their brickwork with it and the label has been ruined by some fool with a pen.

Comment

Originally posted by Sie Vulture
                I've just waded through a box of records in a local charidee shop over lunch and saw a Streisand LP i'd never seen before.... Had quite an eye catching cover ( hence my interest ) all psychedelic swirls around a pic of her face.

I got suckered into buying this once by the cover, I think it's called 'Butterfly', psychedelic front and on the back has a picture of a fly on some butter... literally, as I remember the cover is the best thing about it...
                In ((( VISUAL ))) Stereo

Eclectic Mud

Comment

I like 'Queen Bee' off Bab's A Star Is Born LP.

Mind you, I also really like 'Guilty' (and praise Bruce Springsteen elsewhere on this site) so perhaps you should listen to the record first rather than buying it blind on my recommendation
                  He also contributed songs for the Jim Henson movie vehicle 'Muppets From Space'.

Comment

‘Queen Bee’ is a good one man, well worth 20p of anyone’s money.

Never knew about her ‘you’re so vain’ (with drum break!!!) that Loosejoints mentions, so I will be going to the record and tape exchange as soon as this rain lets up.

Comment

Originally posted by Sie Vulture

Nice version of 'Grandma's Hands'. Arranged by Tom Scott too.

Comment

Originally posted by Blighty
                        Nice version of 'Grandma's Hands'. Arranged by Tom Scott too.
                        'Grandma's Hands' by Barbra Streisand? Wow!!
                        Bill's version is one of my favourite records, I look forward to hearing Barbra's version.

Comment

Cheers Blighty - I'm a sucker for versions of "Grandma's Hands".. will go get it later!
                          If you're looking for a pristine copy then this isn't the one for you. The vinyl looks like someone has polished their brickwork with it and the label has been ruined by some fool with a pen.

Comment

... then trade it with Parkz when I realise I don't like it

here's that Barbara Streisand LP you said you were always after..."

"i don't like it"

Comment

haha I realise I'm more than a little late but I've just been introduced to the delights of Little Britain. The first genuinely funny TV comedy I've seen for a long time.

On the Bill Withers tip I picked up Scott Walker's 'Stretch' LP a couple of weeks ago which has a fantastic version of 'Use Me' on it. Well worth grabbing.

Comment

Working...
                              X