Jesus Christ Superstar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jesus Christ Superstar

My recent trawl through my religious records section for my swap CD this year has revealed that I own 6 versions of Jesus Christ Superstar.

Anonymous versions on Windmill, Avenue, Contour & Double Gold / Enterprise... the one on Deram with Zack Laurence all over it and Nick Ingman's effort on Polydor.

This is clearly more than one man needs... but I really can't put myself through listening fully to 6 versions... so I was wondering anyone got a preference on favourite versions of JCS?

I think I'm plumping for Nick Ingman at the moment although the Contour one is surprisingly punchy...

Any thoughts welcome... I just hope that there isn't another version thats the board favourite and I have to find it!
    In ((( VISUAL ))) Stereo

Eclectic Mud

The Terry Wallace moog version is a great lp.

I also have the Roy Meriwether 45 which has a great loop on it.

Comment

I kind of like all the ones I hear in one way or another. I like the Nick Ingram one, the MFP one, Alan Caddy Singers? I think I'm right I have an Aussie press of it somewhere. The ones I don't like are the theatre cast ones as they all get way too 'Broadway' for me.

I was brought up on the film so I loved that soundtrack for years until I heard the first one and realised the film OST was pants in fact its pretty grim compared to all the cheapie cash in's as it's so badly produced. So yep I'll be sad and say the original album is just great I think it has one of the greatest opening 10-15 minutes of any album ever made. My wife thought I was mad when I first played it in the car and sang along!
      Mixes, Music: https://www.mixcloud.com/amitron_7/

Music: https://blackmoofou.bandcamp.com/

Videos: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCL1...bw92ZSjvLMZKlQ

Latest Infant Project: https://soundcloud.com/bcmf

Comment

I'm surprised the Johnny Keating version hasn't been mentioned. I really like that one.
        it's OK to head out for wonderful, but on your way to wonderful, you're gonna have to pass through all right. When you get to all right,
        take a good look around and get used to it, because that may be as far as you're gonna go.

Comment

The John Keating one and also Overton Berry.

Comment

my favorite is the french one with nino ferrer, ivan julien, zannini and others.

Comment

Originally posted by Saint Jude View Post
              I'm surprised the Johnny Keating version hasn't been mentioned. I really like that one.
              Did he do a whole album of it, or was it just a cover of the title track?

Thanks for all the suggestions...
              In ((( VISUAL ))) Stereo

Eclectic Mud

Comment

Originally posted by Viva Chiba View Post
                The Terry Wallace moog version is a great lp.
                This and Nick Ingman are the two for me.

Comment

Here's Roy and chums jazzing it up from 1987 ...

And a bit of Tel ...

Comment

Originally posted by pokester View Post
                    my favorite is the french one with nino ferrer, ivan julien, zannini and others.
                    Hey welcome back!

Hope all is well with you...
                    it's OK to head out for wonderful, but on your way to wonderful, you're gonna have to pass through all right. When you get to all right,
                    take a good look around and get used to it, because that may be as far as you're gonna go.

Comment

The intro to Super 3 - Standing on the Top is another kind of version i suppose.

Comment

Nice one Whisky, Im a fan of that track too. Do you know the name of the Maze track that is sampled on it?

G
                        Elephant and dwarf they call them, Pepe Kalle and his little
                        stage dancing friend Emoro.

Comment

The Windmill, Avenue, Contour and Enterprise Double Gold versions are all the same - they're the Alan Caddy Orchestra version recorded for Avenue Records, though I think the Contour version uses the Caddy backing tracks with different vocals. I reckon it's one of the best versions available, though.

The Australian version on EMI Starline with Mike Perjanik as musical director is also excellent.

Comment

I think I only own the contour one but it is good.
                            Enthusiastic vagueness passes for scholarship in the twilight world of the disc-jockey.

John Peel

Comment

Originally posted by Lord Thames View Post
                              The Windmill, Avenue, Contour and Enterprise Double Gold versions are all the same - they're the Alan Caddy Orchestra version recorded for Avenue Records, though I think the Contour version uses the Caddy backing tracks with different vocals. I reckon it's one of the best versions available, though.

The Australian version on EMI Starline with Mike Perjanik as musical director is also excellent.
                              Golden information your Lordship, many thanks.
                              In ((( VISUAL ))) Stereo

Eclectic Mud

Comment

Working...
                              X