Schläger

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Schläger

Anyone ever found any good German schläger? Basically this is homegrown German easy listening stuff. During my time in Deutschland I found an OK cover of 'Son of a Preacher Man' by Joyce Suma, and a pretty uninspired stab at 'Fio Maravilha' called 'Chico de Favela', but someone told me that Howard Carpendale had a groovy phase, and there's barnloads of the stuff, so there must be something worth hearing there...mind you, I bought heaps of what appeared to be initially promising crap.
    Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!

ohh forget howard carpendale!! he had made devenitly nothing of interest. what you mean with schlager??..

there's a cd-only compilation called "funkvergnügen". it's a superb collection of german easy listening artists from the 70's but only with the mucho funky stuff on it!!
    can you explain to me what this word means?

www.myspace.com/deenoakathedustybutton

Comment

Howard Carpendale has a killer funky freakbeat 45 worth searching out ('Du Hast Mich') - really really nice (+ cheap!) - the English language version by the Daisy Clan ('Glory Be') appears to be the preferred choice for obvious reasons but I think his native tongue works well.
      new SPOKE release: >>> SEE HERE <<< RKM LIBRARY BEATS

Comment

Du Hast Mich...not played that in years...don't you think the begining sounds alot like "She's not There"? I've got an Ompah album with a nice drum break on it over a rowdy sing songing audience...can't remember what it's called but i'll dig it out when i get home...although i'm not sure it's authentically German as it looks like one of those holiday cash in LP's
        Country be dyin like poor people do
        Hospitals be closing...doors to me and you (Lopazz - Blood)

And here's some other stuff that i get up to...

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Serio...796469?fref=ts

Comment

Personally I think that daisy clan record is r-r-r-rubaaaaaaash (vicky polllard sayz). Would love to hear this 'du hast mich' record. I have a peverse fondness for Rammstein after going through a bad cky2k phase!!!
          www.thesoundlibrary.net <- Changed URL

Comment

knef

hmmm, maybe the hildegard knef "knef" record from 1970. she is something like a schlager-princess i guess. it has the groovy easy lsitening tune "im achtzigsten stockwerk" on it. a bit jazzy with a lousy played guitar and some orchestration work but very cool! the cover art is nice aswell. don't know if she made other cool records. it's the only one i have (and liked).

by the way: it's called schlager, not "schläger". a nice german schläger would maybe be an icehockeystick or a huge guy, kicking someones ass
            Autobahn vas ein Monster: here she is, mit 7 others

Comment

Originally posted by Col Wolfe
              Howard Carpendale has a killer funky freakbeat 45 worth searching out ('Du Hast Mich') - really really nice (+ cheap!) - the English language version by the Daisy Clan ('Glory Be') appears to be the preferred choice for obvious reasons but I think his native tongue works well.
              wow...and i can't believe howard carpendale did some groovy stuff...it's like a monkey playing some jazzy flute. both of them i would like to see and HEAR! and maybe take them into my band....

Comment

Originally posted by Col Wolfe
                damn, can't believe that! i have to dig more in my mums collection!

Comment

Originally posted by effi_deep
                  wow...and i can't believe howard carpendale did some groovy stuff...it's like a monkey playing some jazzy flute. both of them i would like to see and HEAR! and maybe take them into my band....
                  ohh yes, please do that and post a picture of your new band ...howard for president!!

Comment

Look out for stuff arranged by Christian Bruhn, dude knows what's up.

I have a couple of decent tracks arranged by him, can't remember the tracks and artists off the top of my head.
                    (Vocals are a bit ropey though, those German lasses seem to go in for the Valkyrie approach...)

Feller also has decent tracks on the Popshopping comps.

Oh yeah, how 'bout that Peter Thomas feller... or does that not qualify as "schlager", I ain't never heard that term before.

Comment

wouldn't count peter thomas as schlager. i guess the thing is, that as soon as a tune is cool, it isn't schlager anymore! that's why nobody ever heard of that kind of musicstyle. maybe there are some schlager-artists that made some nice songs, but that doesn't mean that it's still "schlager".

listen to this, this is schlager at it's best:

http://www.amazon.de/exec/obidos/cli...142417-5642970

then take "fiesta mexicana". aaarghhh....

of course there are some cool sampleable moments in some 60's schlagertunes, but i've never heard a whole schlagerpiece that made me say "wow". but my knowledge in cool records is still very small...so please correct me if i'm completely wrong.

Comment

I'm not sure what schlager is, either, so whether the likes if Gert Wilden and Gerhard Heinz would count (they're kind of easy/soundtrack types, with comps out on Diggler, Crippled Dick etc) or the Popshopping type material, I don't know. Their comps are patchy, but the good stuff on them is pretty good, though.

I've also had a few German 45s, the best one being 'Eine Schone Welt' by Susan Aviles, sort of psychy-funky-euro-pop...it was briefly discussed a while back in this thread

http://www.verygoodplus.co.uk/showth...t=susan+aviles

Lord Thames might be the man to fill in some gaps on this schlager thing, pretty sure he's mentioned it before...
                        a giant steam-powered turntable in warwickshire plays six foot cement recordings of Prince Albert's speeches to the rejoicing populace

Comment

So it's like the German equivalent of Rolf Harris "Fijiian Girl"?

(yikes)

Comment

Originally posted by effi_deep

by the way: it's called schlager, not "schläger". a nice german schläger would maybe be an icehockeystick or a huge guy, kicking someones ass
                            Ah.. It's just that when it comes to German plurals I usually just sprinkle the umlauts about like salt on chips - or should that be ümlauter.

anyway, thanks - Ive seen some Hildegard lps nestling in the racks of the only record shop on the vinyl desert I chose to live on, so I'll give them a go.
                            Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!

Comment

Katja Epstein - Das Gebt Is Weider Immer

(or something like that)

...this is one of the 45s I was thinking of before.
                              Funky arrangement with terrible vocals.... BUT IS IT SCHLAGER???????

Comment

Working...
                              X