Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• chimptown
    replied
    Fashwave, then, is ambient, not dancey. It’s largely lyric-free, which helps in dodging censors on social media, and cherry-picks sonic ideas from decades of implicitly white male fantasies in popular culture: the electric dreamscapes of film composers John Carpenter (Halloween, Escape From New York) and Tangerine Dream (Risky Business, Sorcerer), the technology worship of the German band Kraftwerk, the 8-bit adrenaline rush of chiptune arcade game music, and the Drive soundtrack’s black-light romance.

From the original article... which seems a very "convenient" interpretation of 70s german electronica to fit his argument

Leave a comment:

• eine
    replied
    Great article. I used to spend some time on 4chan and was mesmerised and thrilled by it. Humour is a codified way of broaching taboos. As such it is a way of saying things in public you wouldn't allow yourself or others to say. See also banter and lad culture as a cloak for misogyny.

In other words, troll culture became a way for fascism to hide in plain sight.
    A compounding difficulty for opponents of the “alt-right” is that online, it’s always been difficult to tell the difference between sincerity and satire.
    More generally, every “ironic” repetition of far-right ideals contributes to a climate in which racism, misogyny, or Islamophobia is normalised.

Leave a comment:

• Sonovox
    replied
    That hate rag, The Guardian, has another (to me) interesting article about the notion that there is no boundary between irony and "alt-right" hatefulness. Irony is an enabling mechanism, whereby insincerity becomes another useful piece of scaffolding for a belief system, together with conspiracy theory and plain old denial. It allows outrage to be sidelined alongside truth.

Hitler advocated The Big Lie, we seem to be living through The Big Joke.

Leave a comment:

• Sonovox
    replied
    Originally posted by babycart View Post
    The original Buzzfeed article linked in the first sentence is a bit more interesting, but the artwork displayed there makes me suspect it's just more tiresome meme-based wankery.
    I think you are probably right, but then tiresome meme-based wankery was one of the propelling forces behind Trump. I'm not sure if there is a boundary here between ironic pursuit of a trollish joke, and earnest construction of a new right wing identity - as suggested in the article comments, based on the numerological symbolism of "88" (code for Heil Hitler) and therefore a connection to 1988.

Leave a comment:

• babycart
    replied
    The original Buzzfeed article linked in the first sentence is a bit more interesting, but the artwork displayed there makes me suspect it's just more tiresome meme-based wankery.

Leave a comment:

• Xann
    replied

Not much changes.

Leave a comment:

• Sonovox
    replied
    Originally posted by Ronnies-Pockets View Post
    And they all moan about the Mail and it's hate campaigns, the Guardian hates on everything.

I think we may live in parallel universes.

Leave a comment:

• Ronnies-Pockets
    replied
    Originally posted by Sonovox View Post
    Synth music now the upcoming thing for the far right. At least according to this article: https://www.theguardian.com/music/mu...-the-far-right

Which all sounds ludicrous, but this is 2016 where ludicrous is the new norm.
    And they all moan about the Mail and it's hate campaigns, the Guardian hates on everything.

Leave a comment:

• Ronnies-Pockets
    replied
    Originally posted by Sonovox View Post
    Synth music now the upcoming thing for the far right. At least according to this article: https://www.theguardian.com/music/mu...-the-far-right

Leave a comment:

• Sonovox
    started a topic Fashwave

Fashwave

Working...
X