Lists time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lists time

With 2016 drawing to a murky, foggy close, it's time to make some sense of a fairly crazy year. On here, I think that involves the odd top 10, top 5....whatever. I've had some really good lps this year, but I am predominantly a 45s chap, so here's my top 10 dragged into the Treeboy Towers vinyl graveyard, where records enter, but very rarely leave. Flossing? Not my intention, but who gives a shit? This is what lit up my life musically this past 12 months. Sorry about the massive pics again.

Get yer pics/ lists up however large or small, whatever format, stuff you've heard but don't own, books, posters, gigs the lot. Did anything hit the spot with you? Share it

Daily Flash - Jack Of diamonds. Seattle based band. From bluegrass beginnings, folk-rockers really I suppose. This 45 however rocks out on the Dylan tune, with a monster bounding bass that propels the tune along. Classic SF style guitar break.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ey89qQjZf-c

Crystal Rain - Hey Mama. From Dayton Ohio. Made 2 45s. Difficult to find any info about them (I have been trying). A wonderful slab of slow grooving, fuzz filled vinyl.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NmPuQRFJ5GA

Help - Run Away. Pretty frantic rocker from 1971, with proper "West Coasty" vocal harmonies, great, snakey gtr leads.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CnCHzx6-WBU

Aardvarks - Subconscious train of thought. Full on swinging fuzzed up intro which takes a couple of detours into more laid back pastures, before returning to base station Zzzzzzz. Co-produced by Steve Cropper. Still unplayed copies available!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7qV0jKO44s

Puzzle - Hey Medusa. Another strong psychy rocker, with an effective staccato guitar figure.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JgLQ9o3lbbk

Andrew Bown - Tarot. Great 2 sider. Ace Of wands theme. 1970. Mysterious, Mellotrony, whispy acoustics, breathy vox. Top.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IyRaSs68yLc

Warm Sounds - Nite is a comin'. Great fun, silly, UK psych 45 from 68. Although it's fantastic, I can't take this stuff too seriously....I don't think it was ever supposed to be. Just enjoy it for what it is.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xiFwTwXbWK4

Doug Parkinson In Focus - Then I Run. Australian 1970 45 with Billy green on guitar. Probably a bit of a groover in the "Happening " clubs of today and yesteryear.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jO0fxHRz68I

Lili's Children - Uncle Njo. Private press 45 on Xilovox out of Breda Netherlands. Both sides are excellent. A Moluccan family band apparently. Funky rock for want of a better term.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUMgp4dKueM

Dragonfly - Celestial Empire. If anyone can point me at a better Dutch psych 45, I'm all ears and ready to be blown out of the water. Until then, this is the record that, when it landed, I sat and looked at for quite a long time before I could play it. Never thought I would own it. Can't keep the bloody thing off the turntable for more than a day now
    My #1 this year, by quite a stretch.
    Last edited by treeboy; 18-12-2016, 03:01 PM.
    Everyone tear down your own little wall
    That keeps you from being a part of it all
    Because you've got to be one with the one and all
    You've just got to be close to it all

Good idea Paul!

I'll try and post something up although I still can't get my head around taking and posting pictures.

Would you mind putting a small amount of info about each record please? I don't know most of them and it would be good to find out more.
    it's OK to head out for wonderful, but on your way to wonderful, you're gonna have to pass through all right. When you get to all right,
    take a good look around and get used to it, because that may be as far as you're gonna go.

Comment

No worries SJ. Just tell me when to stop
      Lists are fine I reckon. Piccies are gravy.
      I'll edit them onto the 1st post.

Comment

Back in Sept I mentioned the reissue of the Morton Feldman/Earle Brown LP from the 60's.

As I speculated then, Feldman very nice. A little added sweetening makes the 60's avant chamber music thing a strong draw. I forget why I didn't include it in my CD swap. I probably thought it was too obvious. Next year, maybe?
        Last edited by Grim Lounge Cowboy; 18-12-2016, 01:29 PM. Reason: Maybe

Comment

The Stephen Scott LP I mentioned late Oct in the classical thread is still holding up well. I'm looking forward to having the chance to have it on at volume.

Comment

Originally posted by treeboy View Post
            With 2016 drawing to a murky, foggy close, it's time to make some sense of a fairly crazy year. On here, I think that involves the odd top 10, top 5....whatever. I've had some really good lps this year, but I am predominantly a 45s chap, so here's my top 10 dragged into the Treeboy Towers vinyl graveyard, where records enter, but very rarely leave. Flossing? Not my intention, but who gives a shit? This is what lit up my life musically this past 12 months. Sorry about the massive pics again.

Help - Run Away. Pretty frantic rocker from 1971, with proper "West Coasty" vocal harmonies, great, snakey gtr leads.
            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CnCHzx6-WBU

Lili's Children - Uncle Njo. Private press 45 on Xilovox out of Breda Netherlands. Both sides are excellent. A Moluccan family band apparently. Funky rock for want of a better term.
            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUMgp4dKueM
            Excellent finds! Help`s LP also features a potent 'Take A Look At Yourself' rocker - the track which once put me on the band. Lili`s Children is the thing, to pay it a compliment or two for the sake of space in the thread as, quite expectedly, more lists are to follow!
            DANCE TO THE RADIO

Comment

I wouldn't count mine as "finds" at all A. They've all been on my radar for a while. I guess I was just trying to get people to enthuse about what has been giving them the most pleasure this year, musically. I thought it might encourage people to post up if asked to talk about the stuff that gets them going.
              Obviously, this is where we are now. Can't say I didn't try.

Comment

I haven´t bought much this year so here's a Top 10 of old and new records I've enjoyed this year on local Colombian and Venezuelan emigré radio stations La Kalle, Mas Latina and Mi Tierra

Luis Vargas - A Esa Mujer La Borrare

Bachata has been one of the most popular genres for years, but is almost always ruined by saccharine vocals. This one's great, though, with a strong Cuban influence and terrific guitar solo.

Calixto Ochoa - Charanga Campesina

Colombian roots classic, heavy on the accordion.

Joel Mosquera - En Mi Casa Es El Desorden

Salsa choque is a pretty new genre - slower rolling salsa with plenty of rapping. This one's about the "Dry Law" in Colombia, when drinking in public was banned at 7pm to stop public disorder. Joel promises plenty of private disorder at his place instead.

Monkey Black - El Sol La Playa

Heavy autotune on this 2009 Dominican hit. Unfortunately, Monkey Black was stabbed to death in 2014.

Rodolfo Aicardi - Nayla

A bit like a Colombian Isaac Hayes, with Rodolfo giving it some spoken word over an organ groove.

Los Titanes - Merecumbe

Heavy, jazzy salsa classic I'd missed out on

Celina y Reutilio - La Caridad del Cobre

Spiritual Cuban roots by the guajira King and Queen

Cesar Concepción - Arecibo

Extremely catchy Puerto Rican plena from the 60s.

Gilberto Sextet - Good Lovin'

Another one that had passed me by. Classic boogaloo.

Wganda Kenya - Homenaje a Los Embajadores

Laid back calypso tinged salsa that seems to be based on Willie Colon's Che Che Colé
                Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!

Comment

2016 - big year for me and the fam. I turned the half century, my son turned 21 and our first Grandchild was born. It’s been a strange year though eh? Deaths and weird political happenings for starters.

As for music - I’ve bought more new stuff this year than I have for a while and I’ve had to reign it in a bit on the spending on big 45s this year but still had some great stuff through the door.

Anyway - here are my faves of 2016:

5 LPs

The Junipers - Red Bouquet Fair

A wonderful LP which I’ve listened to a lot. 60’s psych tinged pop with a hint of melancholy and bursts of sunshine - lovely.

Rainbird - Maiden Flight

A private press LP I found in wildest Derbyshire. I’ve raved about it on here before but to my ears it’s one of the best PP LPs I’ve heard and certainly the best I’ve ever found. Prog Jazz psych business with buzz flute, a smattering of heavy guitars and nice drums.

Cavern of Anti-matter - Void Beats / Invocation Trax

Proper motorik journey into sound and one shimmering pop song. Another one that’s been on the ‘pod a lot this year. Great live too if you get the chance.

Jason Havelock - Pop Symphony

Found this in Spain. Strange and amazing LP on the Pierre Cardin label. A groovy magnum opus in sound with beats and fuzz rearing their heads occasionally.

The Trees - In the Garden of Jane Delawney

I’m late to this - I thought it might be too ‘proper folk’ for me…but it isn’t. The UK folky sound melded with west coast guitars and a subtle hint of heaviness. Great LP.

5 45s

The Movement - Tell Her

An amazing freakbeat cover of the Billie Davis / Alma Coogan hit. 100mph gallop through it with an amazing guitar break. The best thing to come out of Eamon Andrews studios?

Paul Nicholas - Run Shaker Life

A long time want finally crossed off the list. Still think it’s a superb record and still can’t believe I’ve got a copy.

The Human Instinct - A day in my mind’s mind

A recent addition but already a firm favourite. 60’s mod pop as it should be done.

The Raven - Calamity Jane

Great US garage. Very catchy and some nice acerbic fuzz on there too.

The Precisions - If this is love (I’d rather be lonely)

I’ve found a few decent soul and funk 45s this year but this one still gets me shuffling every time I put on it. Nice UK Track copy too.
                  "..hole...road...middle thereof"

Comment

I wouldn't count mine as "finds" at all A. They've all been on my radar for a while. I guess I was just trying to get people to enthuse about what has been giving them the most pleasure this year, musically. I thought it might encourage people to post up if asked to talk about the stuff that gets them going.
                    Obviously, this is where we are now. Can't say I didn't try.
                    It's always quiet at the weekend, TB. Give it time.
                    Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!

Comment

I guess I was just trying to get people to enthuse about what has been giving them the most pleasure this year, musically. I thought it might encourage people to post up if asked to talk about the stuff that gets them going.
                      For me this year has been about discovering the Three Suns, going from zero to now the proud owner of 4 Three Suns LPs...

http://www.verygoodplus.co.uk/showth...at-s-essential

Just yesterday, I finally decided Xmas had "arrived" and I can start playing the Xmas records and this was first on the deck:

Comment

Originally posted by babycart View Post
                        It's always quiet at the weekend, TB. Give it time.
                        o

Just add "impatient" to the given "grumpy old git". Thanks for joining in people. Currently working my way through BC's links.
                        If I ever turn up a copy of that Rainbirds lp, you'll probably hear the celebratory cheer up in your neck of the woods Lee. Great selection. Looks like a top year to me.

Forgot to say congratulations Lee. Don't know if you had mentioned the wee one on the forum previously. Fifty? Bleeding whippersnapper

Comment

o

Just add "impatient" to the given "grumpy old git". Thanks for joining in people. Currently working my way through BC's links.
                          If I ever turn up a copy of that Rainbirds lp, you'll probably hear the celebratory cheer up in your neck of the woods Lee. Great selection. Looks like a top year to me.

Forgot to say congratulations Lee. Don't know if you had mentioned the wee one on the forum previously. Fifty? Bleeding whippersnapper
                          I'll try and contribute when I get an hour or two next week.

That Firebirds would be great to find. I'd be relying on Dave at the market for that one.

Glad you're liking that Junipers LP Lee. My one and only new release recommendation this year.
                          "Don't get involved in the f**kin' chat pages. It's just full of arseholes talkin' sh*te non-stop"

Comment

I put together a little thing from my Twitter which details all my charity shop and boot fair finds from this year.

It's definitely been my best ever year for finds and hitting the boots for the first time has really paid off. I've not been working the last few months and that's allowed me to get to five sales a week. New job starts in January and I'm going to really miss the weekday sales and charity shop trawls that have produced most of the records pictured.

Click the pic to see.

Let me know if any questions.

WF

Comment

Some great stuff WF, that L'animation non stop is my absolute fave Franco album, so good

Comment

Working...
                              X